wont let me renew applecare?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slug420, Jun 11, 2008.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

so I bought my mac pro on june 5 of last year, I got it on June 12 of last year, and during the past year I was without it for probably 4 weeks or so while it was at an apple store being repaired.

So I called up this morning (June 11) to find out how ot renew my applecare since I had lost the paper that came in the mail and they said they absolutely under no circumstances will take my money and renew my applecare support.

Is this for real? How can there be no possible way to renew my applecare? If I let it lapse by 3 months or something, or let it lapse then renewed it an immediatly brought it in with an issue maybe I coudl understand, but how when I have at least one at least somewhat legitimate rationale for why I should be allowed to renew can they just deny me the ability to renew support after 6 days of lapse?!!?

This is SERIOUSLY weak. I cant believe there is no one to talk to to get this done.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Did you register the AppleCare in the last year?

3. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

It just has the default first year of applecare from when I bought it.

Im not sure that I registered anything separately

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Then they won't let you extend your AppleCare. You have to register it in the first year.

5. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, thats what they said

this is ABSURD!

I was covered under applecare until Friday. And here I am on Wednesday and they wont touch my computer with a 10 foot pole.

If my mac craps out in the next 2 years ill never buy another one because this is such an arrogant enforcement of the policy, and if it doesnt, they turned their back on my 250 dollars. how does anyone win in this situation?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Macs don't come with AppleCare - you just get the standard Mac warranty which expires after 12 months.

AppleCare Protection Plan is a service and support package that replaces the standard warranty with a 3 year, on-site (for desktops) service program and 3 years of Tier 2 (highest level) phone support and numerous extras.

AppleCare can be purchased at any time within the first 12 months of ownership - you cannot purchase AppleCare for an out-of-warranty machine. Your machine is more than 12 months old and as such AppleCare cannot be applied to it - Apple will strictly enforce this rule.

All of this information is available from Apple and also the sales staff who represent Apple products.

Unless you can show that the date of purchase was within the last year you cannot have AppleCare applied to your machine. Even if it was one day out of warranty Apple would generally offer to repair your machine under warranty as a one off but they would not be able to apply the AppleCare Protection Plan. It must be purchased and registered within 1 year of purchase (strictly no more than one year) or it can't be applied.

Sorry mate but you're out of luck.

7. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

this is a foolish. I understand I had a year, I understand they have their policy, but there is no reason they couldnt give their applecare reps the ability to override the policy.

I knew I bought my mac sometime in June and figured I could call up and do this any time in June without any problems. If I realized how anal they were I would have checked my purchase date and made sure I didnt miss it.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There's a perfectly good reason. I could wait until my Mac dies, call up, get AppleCare and get them to repair it for cheap.
    This policy ensures people buy and register the AppleCare when the machine is still under warranty.
    You can use this page to check your warranty status:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You have 365 days to get the extended warranty (most companies require at time of purchase, at least Apple gives you a year) there was plenty of time to 'WIN' in this situation.

We're thankful Apple gives us a year to think about it.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So why even have the policy then if you just change it for anyone who asks?:confused: Are you special in some way? If it is changed for you then it must be changed for everyone.

11. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

customer satisfaction is all about changing policies for customers. It is their policy for dish network to charge me for blah blah blah, but if I call up and tell them I had problems with blah blah blah or didnt sign up for service blah blah blah they waive or refund the fee to resolve the problem and satisfy the customer.

people go to restaurants all the time and order a dish "can I substitute in veggies instead of fries?" "well we're not supposed to but let me go see if we can"

Customer satisfaction is all about giving the people dealing with the customers the power to satisfy the customer at their discretion.

If I have NO plausible explanation as to why they should make an exception then the rep would stick to the policy....but the fact that we are talking about a SIX DAY lapse here, the fact that there IS nothing wrong with my mac right now, that I did not clearly understand that it was a hard and fast 365 days from the order date, not delivery date, and that there would be no interest in accomodating me for the 3 weeks I was unable to use my mac during the year in question are all plausible reasons why a customer service rep with the power to do so would bend the policy to satisfy a customer.

The fact that apple GAVE me a year is why I would not have expected a strict policy like this. If they said you had to buy the warranty at the time of purchase I would have made my decision at that time, but the 1 year thing made we want to evaluate the decision to purchase applecare when I HAD to as opposed to buying applecare after 3 months and then when the first year's warranty is about to expire thinking to myself that was a waste of money why did I buy that 9 months ago?

I understand the concern about people breaking their mac and then wanting to sign up for applecare but that is why you would have the policy. I understand why it exists I dont understand why it is so strict. Even if I am trying to renew my applecare 5 days after my warranty expired because my computer just broke (not the case with me) then they should be able to let me renew my applecare because its just ****** luck and they should be able to acknowledge that whatever problem popped up could have just as easily popped up 6 days earlier when it was under warranty. As a previous poster mentioned chances are they would fix your mac under warranty if you brought it in a day or two after it had expired....why then cant they take my 250 dollars and give me an applecare renewal? If I am running back to applecare to renew when my computer is broken 3 months after the warranty then again, applecare representative discretion allows them to not bend the policy since this is the very exploitation they are trying to avoid.

12. krye macrumors 68000

krye

6 days is 6 days. Where do you draw the line?

13. matttrick macrumors 6502

you want to know why? because warranties like this work off a pooled system of money. everyone puts into the pool to cover the ones that do break. if you let people come in later than a year, it throws the whole thing off. the older a system is the more likely it is to break down. if you let people with older systems in, there will be more repairs drawing on the money, and not enough to cover everyone.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You had 365 days in order to do it, that is a long long time to make that purchase.

Obviously if somebody keeps procrastinating, it obviously wasn't important enough to do.

Not Apple's fault that somebody keeps forgetting, if they aren't strict about it people will keep putting it off.

If customer service rep can let somebody within 13 months, why won't you let me at 14 months?

In legal terms, letting people do it after the cutoff is a slippery slope and opens you up to people outside your extended window yet again.

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

What don't you understand? You missed the one year window.

Why did you wait? Nobody's fault but your own.

16. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the great responses guys.

you can close this thread if you want, I am all set :)

17. echoout macrumors 6502a

You had an entire year. That seems like plenty of time to decide.

18. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

It seems a bit odd that a warranty would run from the day of
    purchase rather than the day of delivery. A warranty can't be
    invoked when the item is in transit.

I think Apple should offer longer warranties. Maybe 2 or 3 years
    as standard. It doesn't say much about their confidence in their
    products that they don't.

If they did offer longer warranties, they'd have to get serious
    about quality control.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

They certainly could offer 2, 3 or even 50 year warranties. However the cost of the original product reflects all warranty repairs factored in. So the longer the warranty period the more the MSRP will be. There is no FREE lunch. This is why Apple offers an extend warranty as an option since it would have to price all products at the current price plus the price of the extended warranty to offer 3 years as the standard warranty.

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I can just hear the conversation now....

User: "I'd like to buy/register my Apple Care"
    Apple: "I'm sorry your out of warranty"
    User: "Aww come on, I only missed it by 6 days"
    Apple: "Ohhh alright, if it'll make you happy"
    User: "Great, oh by the way, I'd like to submit a ticket now, my logic board blew, since 'now' I'm under warranty we need to resolve this"
    Apple: "..."

THIS is why you have a certain amount of time to do this. If your OUT of warranty TOUGH! Customer satisfaction is one thing and by offering a year to get more warranty they fulfilled that, personal responsibility is another and by not getting it an over extended ample amount of time you failed to show that.

I think bottom line is and this is probably why this rule is pretty strict, 365 is LONG enough for you to have enough time to think, save, etc to get Apple Care. Thinking that 1yr implies some sort of leniancy is kinda idiotic if you think about it. Most places don't even allow, in fact Apple is one of the very FEW that allow the ability to buy extended warranty AFTER purchase, and they give us a year to think about it. If you can't make a decision like that within a year, how do you pick out clothes in morning?

21. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Call Apple back, and explain to them your situation.
    admit to them that you made a mistake and that your sorry. Tell them your willing to go to the apple store, and let a genius look at your mac pro. To verify that it is in good working order. If your nice about it, they may let you slide.

22. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Only if the machines fail. Apple needs an incentive to improve
    reliability. Or else their pathetic track record will not improve.

And, btw, Apple only offers a 1 yr warranty on their overpriced
    memory. Other memory selling for a third of the price comes with
    a lifetime warranty.

23. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

With ALL Apple products, the warranty period begins when purchased, not received.

note: purchased means when you get charged which is right before they ship.

24. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Sorry bud but you did have a year. If they change the rule for one, they have to change it for all. What you are going through is the reason I bought Apple Care when I bought my computer. Just so I wouldn't forget.

25. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

You are the one thats "ABSURD!" The policy is clear and you had a year to think about it, its not Apple's fault that you couldn't make a decision in time.