Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
My Sig says I'm getting a macbook in a week! That mihgt all change. Were switching banks to commerce and my dad found out I have 500 in the bank from when I was little I use to do modeling for like toys and stuff well I might take that money out and get a 15 inch macbook pro instead of the black macbook! What do you guys think I should do get the black macbook for like 1400 with a free nano or should I get the Silver macbook 15inch?(no I'm not saving for the 17 inch!). Just asking what you guys think I should do!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I would not consider the BlackBook for myself, (currently 15" MBP, future perhaps a sub-notebook MBP), but if you were happy to go for it before, perhaps you should stick with it.

Were you originally after the 15" MBP and compromised with the BlackBook decision, or was that always your intention and now with the found money you are having second thoughts?

Also, what are your needs and uses for the eventual winner?

peiffman1

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
I'll answer like everyone else is going to: Depends.

Mostly on what you are going to use it for. Personally I would never buy a 15 inch portable. I like my portables small and my desktops powerful and big screened. As far as weight goes the 15 inch MBP is about the same but the volume is what bothers me. If this will be your only machine you might want to go with the MBP because it will probably last you longer(due to better processor and video card, more ram expandability). But the SR MBPs have long waits for most people, I think.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
That 500 didn't last long once you knew you had it! If you were excited about the Macbook before, do you have a good reason to want to blow all your cash on a MBP? If you don't really need a MBP, keep your nest egg safe and secure. You never know when you might be glad of it.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Since I'm only 16 my parents don't want me spending 2,000 on a comp. SO that 500 is gonna go toward my second year of car insurance! I'm still getting the black macbook though!

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
My Sig says I'm getting a macbook in a week! That mihgt all change. Were switching banks to commerce and my dad found out I have 500 in the bank from when I was little I use to do modeling for like toys and stuff well I might take that money out and get a 15 inch macbook pro instead of the black macbook! What do you guys think I should do get the black macbook for like 1400 with a free nano or should I get the Silver macbook 15inch?(no I'm not saving for the 17 inch!). Just asking what you guys think I should do!

The Macbook Pro gives you $200 towards an iPod nano the Black Macbook gives you only $100. So actually the only way you get a completly free iPod nano is with the Macbook Pro. (Details here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...E143B&node=home/campaigns/back_to_school_2007 )

I would go with the Macbook Pro, the possibility of more ram and the fact that it has an amazing graphics card compared to the Macbook make it an easy choice.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The Macbook Pro gives you $200 towards an iPod nano the Black Macbook gives you only $100. So actually the only way you get a completly free iPod nano is with the Macbook Pro.
No no no. You get a free iPod with each notebook. The macbook has the edu discount at $100 while the macbook pro has it at $200 as it is significantly more expensive. You still have to pay for the iPod in the store... The only reason that you save more with the purchase of the MacBook Pro is because you spend more...

To the OP: I just wanted to make sure that you know that the education discount doesn't apply to high school students, right? I was in a similar situation (I'm sixteen as well) a few weeks ago and I ended up using my mom's faculty discount. I'm sure that you knew that, but I just wanted to make sure.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
No no no. You get a free iPod with each notebook. The macbook has the edu discount at $100 while the macbook pro has it at $200 as it is significantly more expensive. You still have to pay for the iPod in the store... The only reason that you save more with the purchase of the MacBook Pro is because you spend more...

To the OP: I just wanted to make sure that you know that the education discount doesn't apply to high school students, right? I was in a similar situation (I'm sixteen as well) a few weeks ago and I ended up using my mom's faculty discount. I'm sure that you knew that, but I just wanted to make sure.

Oh ok that makes more sense. I was wondering why they would advertise the Macbook with a Nano if you still had to pay $100. Anyway you can always say you are in college, I just ordered something from the online apple store a few weeks ago with my college discount and they didn't check (I am eligible though) so if you do it online you can still get it.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
yes I can drive I was driving an hour ago! I might go to Delware to get it tax free! My question is can I still get a student discount eve nthough my school is in another state!

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
ummm yeah... you can drive at 16 anywhere in the US. That is the legal driving age here. 18 is voting/adult and 21 is drinking (yes... you can vote before you can drink.. yes... it makes accidents actually higher involving drinking, and yes... it's stupid as heck because it makes drinking a much bigger problem)

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
i dont see why not...

Ummm if you are getting a school discount as a high school student (which doesn't officially work with apple like the last posters said) then ... it won't matter where your school is because high schools don't count. If you are cheating by using some one else's discount (parent brother etc) then no, it shouldn't matter.

powermac_daddy

macrumors 6502

You should get this ModBook.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
To the OP: I just wanted to make sure that you know that the education discount doesn't apply to high school students, right? I was in a similar situation (I'm sixteen as well) a few weeks ago and I ended up using my mom's faculty discount. I'm sure that you knew that, but I just wanted to make sure.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does apply to HS students becuase when I go online and pick my school from the state of NJ it shows my School RV! Then I move on and it shows my discount and its a high school NOT a college so it does work!

NateNateNate

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Edit: guess i was wrong..

This is for college or university

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

* Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
* Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
* Parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

And this is for k-12

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

* Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
* School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
* PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
* Qualified homeschools
* Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

It says nothing about being a STUDENT in the k-12 so no discount.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Highschool students is probably way too big as a "consumer category" and also the fact that a computer is not a total necessity before college or university.

Financial concern also appears for real in college and university.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, it does apply to HS students becuase when I go online and pick my school from the state of NJ it shows my School RV! Then I move on and it shows my discount and its a high school NOT a college so it does work!
There's not even a link to press to enter the edu store for K-12 students. If you're entering as a faculty or staff member, your school will show up but that doesn't mean that the discount applies to you.

I don't know, maybe your school does have a student discount from Apple...but I highly doubt it.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
ummm yeah... you can drive at 16 anywhere in the US. That is the legal driving age here. 18 is voting/adult and 21 is drinking (yes... you can vote before you can drink.. yes... it makes accidents actually higher involving drinking, and yes... it's stupid as heck because it makes drinking a much bigger problem)

Actually in some states the driving age is 18. The only one I know offhand is NY.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
There's not even a link to press to enter the edu store for K-12 students. If you're entering as a faculty or staff member, your school will show up but that doesn't mean that the discount applies to you.

I don't know, maybe your school does have a student discount from Apple...but I highly doubt it.

I suspect this is the case as well. OP, if you are looking for a discount, maybe a refurb macbook would serve you better, as it will be reasonable compared to buying a brand new one.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
I'm not getting a refurb mac! Im saving for a new comp not a refurb! Only one week til I get one! I was just gonna try anyone at the store and seei f I can still get a discount! We'll see if not I'll still get a goverment discount becuase my dad is state police! So I'll still get 100 off but We'll have to pay for the ipod video!

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
I suspect this is the case as well. OP, if you are looking for a discount, maybe a refurb macbook would serve you better, as it will be reasonable compared to buying a brand new one.

Yeah heres the link: http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

Now it says K-12 but IDK if its right! Tell me if it is! If it works I'll be happy if not, then i'll just get a goverment discount since my dad is state police! still get it for 1400! just no free nano :(

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
nvm I called the apple store where i was gonna buy it and they said no HS students only faculty but I was thinking about getting my cousin to go(whose is in college!) lol to get me the discount! I told my parents not to worry about it i'm still gonna get it for 1400 (goverment discount(dad is state police) and no tax since I'm driving to delaware to get it!) Even though my dad is NJ state police she said it will work in delaware! I can't wait its only like an hour away from my house!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
nvm I called the apple store where i was gonna buy it and they said no HS students only faculty but I was thinking about getting my cousin to go(whose is in college!) lol to get me the discount! I told my parents not to worry about it i'm still gonna get it for 1400 (goverment discount(dad is state police) and no tax since I'm driving to delaware to get it!) Even though my dad is NJ state police she said it will work in delaware! I can't wait its only like an hour away from my house!

Sorry to burst your bubble with the whole "no free iPod for you (in Soup Nazi voice)!" deal, but that's just how it is. Think of it this way; you have a few years to save up and buy a mbp for college, and then you can get a free printer and iPod:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.