Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Work has begun on Apple's massive new retail store in Manhattan's historic Grand Central Terminal as the company works quickly to try to open the store in time for the holiday shopping season. As noted at last month's approval for the project, Apple will be able to move forward on a very tight construction timetable due to the fact that only minimal changes to the building itself are permitted.

gct_apple_store_construction_sign.jpg

Earlier this month, one MacRumors reader passed along a photo showing the closed off stairway to the former Metrazur restaurant where the Apple retail store is being constructed, suggesting that at least preparatory work was underway to close the restaurant and turn the site over to Apple's contractors.

gct_apple_store_construction_1.jpg

Another reader has now passed along new photos showing work underway, and while the view from the concourse below the store is primarily of scaffolding and plastic tarps, it is clear that things are moving forward.

gct_apple_store_construction_2.jpg

We've been told by an employee at Grand Central Terminal that crews have already demolished the kitchen area of the former Metrazur restaurant and are working to turn it into a storage room for the Apple retail store.

In addition, Apple has reportedly indicated that it is planning to open the store in time for the "Black Friday" shopping rush, which falls on the day after Thanksgiving in the United States and represents the kickoff to the holiday shopping season. Black Friday falls on November 25th this year, and Apple is said to possibly be shooting for a grand opening on November 12th, in line with the previously-reported four-month construction timeframe with respect to last month's project approval.

Thanks, Beau & Mike!

Article Link: Work Begins on Grand Central Terminal Apple Store, Opening Mid-November?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm going to head down there this weekend and start camping out so I can be the first customer.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow. The question is, will there be glass enclosure? Maybe the Cube will be moved here?

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's only going to take them 3 months to build it?

Meanwhile in Dallas, we've been waiting about 6 months for them to finish the expanded Apple Store.

Xanadu69

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
What a brain-dead idea by Apple. Taking a very historic and iconic terminal in NYC and putting their awful gaudy glass monstrosity-type store there. It is going to look out of place, it is going to be an eye sore for people who visit and commute, and by the way Apple, you already have four stores in Manhattan alone, one just a 10 minute walk from Grand Central. Is this one really necessary?

The only reason they are letting this even go forward is because Apple has more money than they know what to do with, and have forked over obscene amounts of money for this space.

I for one, even being a fan of Apple products, will never visit this store. I travel through Grand Central Terminal everday; this store is going to look SO out of place it is not even funny.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Double WOW! Shows what billions in the bank can do. In the past I have overseen construction of new store fronts... Never been able to open one as quick as Apple is hoping for....

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm sure it will be beautiful, but that is one place I would NOT want to be on Black Friday.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's only going to take them 3 months to build it?

Meanwhile in Dallas, we've been waiting about 6 months for them to finish the expanded Apple Store.

They are essentially putting tables out and creating a secure room to store the merchandise. It's really not going to be a traditional Applestore and I don't believe it will even be enclosed. Not much to build really. Think of it as a giant Apple flea market set up upon marble. :)

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
It'll be a good addition to grand central. A few blocks from work if I ever need anything genius help

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
They are essentially putting tables out and creating a secure room to store the merchandise. It's really not going to be a traditional Applestore and I don't believe it will even be enclosed. Not much to build really. Think of it as a giant Apple flea market set up upon marble. :)

Oh, then no wonder it's only 3 months. I just saw the renderings and it's looks really nice.

Last edited:

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
An Apple store in Grand Central is not a great idea. The place is already a mad house. I avoid it like the plague. Imagine the line for a new product release next to the line for train tickets, next to the line for the restrooms, next to the line of tourist realizing they are in a line to no where.

The spot they wanted by the Empire State building would have been perfect.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
What a brain-dead idea by Apple. Taking a very historic and iconic terminal in NYC and putting their awful gaudy glass monstrosity-type store there. It is going to look out of place, it is going to be an eye sore for people who visit and commute, and by the way Apple, you already have four stores in Manhattan alone, one just a 10 minute walk from Grand Central. Is this one really necessary?

The only reason they are letting this even go forward is because Apple has more money than they know what to do with, and have forked over obscene amounts of money for this space.

I for one, even being a fan of Apple products, will never visit this store. I travel through Grand Central Terminal everday; this store is going to look SO out of place it is not even funny.

Grand Central is full of retail shops, kiosks, bars, restaurants, food stands, etc. It's hard for me to see how an Apple store is going to ruin it.

Also, the pics I saw do not show anything that could be described as a monstrosity.

I think you need to chill a little.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yeah...because it is going to look like that...wait until they put this thing up; do you live in Manhattan?.....Probably not. The people in the city are none to pleased. Oh well. I guess with enough money you can pretty much do about anything.

Bullpuckey. It's a historic land,ark and Apple is hand-cuffed as to what they can do with the space. I live in NY, where's the outrage?

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010

so you joined the site just for that ? great start

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
An Apple store in Grand Central is not a great idea. The place is already a mad house. I avoid it like the plague. Imagine the line for a new product release next to the line for train tickets, next to the line for the restrooms, next to the line of tourist realizing they are in a line to no where.

The spot they wanted by the Empire State building would have been perfect.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and surmised that you don't know retail as well as the people who run Apple's retail division and that they will make lots of money from this store.

I'm also guessing that this won't be a full-blown Apple retail store, but more like the one at the Stanford Shopping Center that focuses on the iDevices. The Grand Central store won't be the place where you buy an iMac.

However, we're willing to give you the benefit of the doubt concerning your retail sales expertise.

How many Apple Stores have they closed due to poor performance or location?

Please provide a detailed list, including street addresses, length of time in operation, revenue per square foot upon closure, and your personal analysis why each location closed. Feel free to use as much detail as you'd like.

Thank you.

Last edited:

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
What a brain-dead idea by Apple. Taking a very historic and iconic terminal in NYC and putting their awful gaudy glass monstrosity-type store there. It is going to look out of place, it is going to be an eye sore for people who visit and commute..."

serious comment? if you look at proposals from city planners, it's probably the cleanest and least invasive of any of the other tenants in gcs. lots of competition (?) with: banana republic, chirping chicken, golden crust patties, rite aid, but somehow i think apple still may come out more aesthetically appealing. with respect, it is possible that an older generation is less interested in changes in old landmarks and that's understandable. my granpops hated it when they put up almost anything!

"I for one, even being a fan of Apple products, will never visit this store."

and that is a good thing. more room and time for me and a few others to get some hands on time with merch.

diglar

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have noted, work has also begun on the Flag Ship Retail Store in Brisbane, Australia. Some facade details have been removed, underground level has been stripped. However they are being very secretive about the entrance and mezanine level, windows are covered

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Then don't visit any of the other ones.

http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/go/dirListing.cfm?FL=All

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.