Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple doesn't need to be successful in order for these computers to remain valuable. They have a very important place in the history of computing regardless of Apple's continued success.

An important place in history has little to do with monetary value. Supply and demand has everything to do with it.

And if fewer collectors care about Apple, the monetary value of Apple collectibles is likely to go down.

----------

Apple's cache is fading? What cache are you talking about? The cache in my MBP seems to be working just fine, not "fading" at all if you explain what it would mean for a cache to be "fading".

The cache I'm talking about is mindshare, as indicated by market share. Fewer people think well of Apple now as compared to the recent past.

bailorg

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I don't get the people who think that this lot isn't worth the money paid.

Yes, it is a large sum of money, but that sounds like a reasonable price for what was on offer.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I could get a fully-loaded Gateway tower for half that, AND it wouldn't have Apple banning 2-button mice.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I don't get the people who think that this lot isn't worth the money paid.

Yes, it is a large sum of money, but that sounds like a reasonable price for what was on offer.

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

The so-called loss of Apple's cachet (there is no such thing) would not have anything to do with the type of wealthy collector who would be willing to acquire an item like this. I found it to be an absurd take.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Not if they worked for it. They can spend it on whatever crap they want.

Very few people with that kind of money actually "worked" for it. It's usually 90% luck.

Besides if they actually "worked" for it, that would imply that they know the value of a dollar. This is the most ridiculous waste of money and it exemplifies the fanboy mentality that is Soooooo off putting to so many people.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
An important place in history has little to do with monetary value. Supply and demand has everything to do with it.

I think you'll find that having an important place in history significantly drives up the demand for such a piece.

So, yes, having an important place in history indeed does have a significant impact on monetary value.

----------

Besides if they actually "worked" for it, that would imply that they know the value of a dollar. This is the most ridiculous waste of money and it exemplifies the fanboy mentality that is Soooooo off putting to so many people.

Investment.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Very few people with that kind of money actually "worked" for it. It's usually 90% luck.

luck, 90%? whatever. Its an investment anyway so hardly a waste of money, you just explained the reason the real reason that your not rich and its not down to luck.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I think you'll find that having an important place in history significantly drives up the demand for such a piece.

So, yes, having an important place in history indeed does have a significant impact on monetary value.

----------

Investment.

I don't disagree. Short of cataclysmic world collapse, it is an extremely rare item that has a place in computer history and a serious collectible for the 1% that should continue to increase in value. It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If someone will buy a Bea Arthur nude painting for $1.9 million, a computer collector can buy a working Apple I with pristine documentation for $670+K.

It may be an overused phrase, but there is some serious hatin' going on in this thread.

Some rich Asian guy wanted the working Apple I. What's it to you if he was willing to pay $671,400 for it?

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007

Sounds like someone needs to get a real job. The vast majority of people with money have earned it. This only includes people who have not inherited it, before you put words in my mouth.

90% luck? You can't be serious. Go occupy someplace.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Mmm....

If I had way too much money to the point it has no value for me... I could buy it IF I was a programmer.

What ever, people are people.

Its for that reason I am surprised the auction did not go higher. Think how many geeks there are who made it who would be interested in this, and thats before you consider the rest of the auction market.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011

And if fewer collectors care about Apple, the monetary value of Apple collectibles is likely to go down.

----------

The cache I'm talking about is mindshare, as indicated by market share. Fewer people think well of Apple now as compared to the recent past.

Oh please,the iPhone 5 sold faster than any other iPhone and they got the iPad Mini which was a colossal hit yet the stock dropped,you sure they're following Apple's performance or some weird speculation?;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.