Working Apple-1 Computer Sold by Steve Jobs Fetches $365,000 at Auction

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A rare fully functional Apple-1 Personal Computer sold for $365,000 at an auction in New York today, reports Reuters. The computer, which Steve Jobs originally sold out of his parents' garage in 1976 for $600, was expected to sell for much more, with initial estimates placing its value at $400,000 to $600,000.

In 1999, the machine auctioned off today was purchased by Bruce Waldack, an entrepreneur who had funds after selling his company, DigitalNation. Following his death in 2007, the Apple-1 went on to be auctioned at a storage facility in Virginia, where Robert Luther purchased it, along with the original buyer's canceled check from 1976.

[​IMG]
    The Apple-1 was sold alongside that canceled check, which was made out to Apple Computer from Charles Ricketts, who labeled it "Purchased July 1976 from Steve Jobs in his parents' garage in Los Altos." A second accompanying check for $193 was labeled "Software NA Programmed by Steve Jobs August 1976."

An expert tested the Apple-1 to ensure that it was fully operational and able to run the standard original software program, Microsoft BASIC, along with an original Apple-1 Star Trek game.

Other working Apple-1 computers have sold for far more in the past. Recently, the Henry Ford Museum paid $905,000 for an original Apple-1, and in 2013, an auction that included a working Apple-1 and a letter written by Steve Jobs went for $671,400. Less than 50 Apple-1 computers are believed to be in existence today, of the few hundred that were originally constructed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Article Link: Working Apple-1 Computer Sold by Steve Jobs Fetches $365,000 at Auction

2. PowerBook-G5, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

The final price paid seems much lower than I would have thought, with it having the check from Jobs and all.

3. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

The Henry Ford Museum has released a statement saying:

What the...?!

4. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

It's a little sad a museum had to pay so much more to preserve a piece of history. I hope those bidding against the museum in that auction feel just terrible about themselves.

5. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Unless they were shills, they have no reason to feel terrible about anything.

6. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

$800 to $365,000 from 1976 to 2014. That is a mighty good rate of return for a fully depreciated object.

7. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

This computer sold had a check to Apple computer/jobs, not from him.

I imagine a check, letter, whatever with his signature would have pushed it up considerably.

8. arubinst macrumors 6502

Price was actually extremely high! I wouldn't have payed that much... I heard that it doesn't support Continuity and that it runs Yosemite (and of course Safari) kind of slow ;-)

9. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Apple is DOOMED!!

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

That working computer better be kept in a static-free enclosure.

11. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Wonder how much Robert Luther paid for it when he got it from the storage facility

12. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Can't upgrade the memory, either...

13. CFreymarc Suspended

I am sure for a song. Storage facility auctions are legally viewed as a salvage act. Whatever price you pay for, it is yours under property rights. In America, there are no assumed receperical after resale remebursements to the original seller for extreme margin resell. Any society that tired that soon had a failed free market.

Been told there is a retired engineer in his 70's with an Aople I in his home office near Los Gatos.

Story has it is one of if not the only Apple I modified for motor control with a custom piggy back board connected to the Apple I motherboard. Don't know if that would add or reduce the price.

Supposedly Woz was in on the modification as a consultant. Yet to see the unit but still is a good story of the Valley in that era.

14. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

how much is his parents garage renting for now? :eek:

15. corvustheraven macrumors newbie

corvustheraven

Wow, I wish iBook G3s would be worth that much after a similar amount of time!