Working at a Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cindynjgirl79, May 1, 2007.

1. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

I would really love to work at the apple store in my area. (Bridgewater,NJ) I'll anwser phones if I have to. So is there anything I could do or put on the resume, to just get my foot in the door. Or is there anyone who works at this store who could help out a little. Hey at any store for that matter. If you work there, just a few things I would like to know. Like how is it to work the store? Employee dis-counts? Do you just send your whole pay for that week in the store? So if anyone could help out, it would be great!

2. shecky Guest

shecky

technically, any Apple employee is forbidden to post on forums such as this one.

just an FYI; you may not get the specific answers you are looking for here.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yes, there are employee discounts. Listing Mac experience and application programs you've mastered certainly helps. Unfortunately, current Apple store employees are not allowed to post in forums like this.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

They're not allowed, but as long as you don't go posting all over the forum saying "I WORK FOR APPLE, MY NAME IS ___ ____ AND I WORK AT THIS LOCATION!!!" There's almost no way they can tell...trust me. The employee discounts are awesome btw, as are a number of the other perks.

5. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Do people that work in the retail stores get the same discounts as all other corporate employees (engineers/programmers/etc.)? If so then that is an awesome discount!

6. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

oh so if i got a job there i would have to be very careful about posting. does anyone know why they don't want employees posting?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm guessing its because they could spread 'unfounded' rumors or the like. or just want to keep quality control under wraps or some such. also likely that they dont want employees to be seen as a 'we represent apple' voice on forums.

i think its a bit heavy handed imo, but whatever.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

If you work at the store, you would have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, which says you will not reveal any information about apple or it's products without permission. So if you were told about an upcoming product that had not been disclosed by apple and you gave that information out on this forum, then you would be guilty of revealing trade secrets. News like that could potentially cause apple harm.

10. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

i understand that.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hope so. We don't want you to get sued by Apple you know? :)

12. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

hey lets se if i can get a job there 1st. worry about that then

13. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Wow, I had no idea this type of NDA was really true for all Apple employees. I can understand not being able to discuss unreleased products but a complete ban was really beyond the realm of possibility in my mind.

Oh well, good luck with your job search.

14. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Does anybody know what the minimum age limit is for employees? Is it a store to store thing?

15. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

NDAs are very common in most industries and are very strict. Not only is it vital to protect intellectual property (patents, designs, concepts, etc) but any info about a company can be used against it or in improper ways.

Something that comes to mind is when an employee learns something about their company "off the cuff", say when two people are talking in the hallway. Depending on the circumstances, if they were to release that information, it could ruin business deals, allow third party companies to get a product out to market first, or even give investors a reason to dump stock. it's serious business bro...

16. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

18, though there are instances where they MIGHT hire a 16 year old. Talk to your local store.

17. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

27 here so nothing to worry about there

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Many retailers are 18+ due to minor labor laws. It's difficult to get around them in certain stores due to the hours required, and many HR departments have enough concerns regarding safety regulations and hourly limits that they mandate minors can only be hired under specific situations. For example, when I was a manager for Borders, we could only hire under-18 for specific temp jobs, like sorting books for a new store. It wasn't cost-efficient for us to hire someone who was 16, since their shifts would be too short, or only on daytimes in the summer (where we were already staffed) or they'd have to leave prior to the store's closing hours. Scheduling can be a headache even when you aren't anxiously watching a clock to make sure someone doesn't hit 6.1 hours and cause you a giant fine.

Relax and be yourself in any interviews. Make sure your resume is very focused: play up your sales experience, and make sure the descriptions of your previous jobs include themes that you could use at an Apple Store. Also, get a hold of the name of the hiring manager, and follow up your application. While I've never been a manager for an Apple store, I've been a manager for bigger retailers, and that's pretty much the easiest (and often only) way to get your resume and application to stand out. Make it worth someone's time to read it, and get it to the top of the pile.

19. peter32892 macrumors member

Check for errors and then have someone else read over it because if there is an error some people will take it as you don't care enough about the job to check for a silly mistake. so check check check. But good luck with it. :apple:

20. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There was an excellent thread in the community forum a while back, started by a member who'd left the forums to go work at Apple, then stopped working there after a year or couple of years and came back to the forums.

He fielded loads of questions and explained quite a lot so it might be worth doing a search for that thread (or maybe someone can remember what it was called or the member as search for "working apple store" throws up quite a lot. :)

21. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Hey Cindy,

Have you visited the Short Hills Apple Store? About three times the size of Bridgewater, and always packed. Might be worth the extra 15-20 miles or so. :cool:

22. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

thanks for that really good info

23. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

maybe a road trip to short hills

24. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

That one is ALWAYS packed...try to hit it up on a weekday in the morning or mid-afternoon. Right around noon-ish everyone from the offices around Short Hills descends on the mall so the Apple Store gets pretty packed. (including my own office-people are always wandering back from lunch to tell me how packed it was in there, they know I am a huge Apple fan)

On the upside, if you worked there you'd be next door to Qdoba....mmm. Qdoba.

Huh, I think I know where i am getting lunch today...