Working with family

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jkcerda, Nov 1, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

how many of you work with your family? I am glad my son and I get to work together
    [​IMG]

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Go, go, Midget! :D
    (Never had a chance to work with my family. Worked in the same Ministry with my father but when he was at home, I was posted abroad and vice versa).

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

FYI, JK's son is only 5' 6" ...

:D
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    Seriously, that is awesome. My wife and I have worked together for like 20 years (several before we tied-the-knot). Love it, would not have done / do things differently.

4. Scepticalscribe, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

When I was a student - actually, late in my undergrad days, and in my early postgrad days, my mother employed me as an editor, sub-editor, occasional secretary in her organisation - funded by - and answerable to - the agriculture ministry during the summer and over the Christmas; she had to publish detailed blood line stuff - stud books - to do with the equine industry, so there was no room for error. Tedious, very technical, time-consuming work - that had to be absolutely correct and precisely accurate.

She also had me preparing passports (conforming to EU law) for the section of the horse industry she was responsible for as summer work for a number of years until she retired - again, as these were legal documents there was absolutely no margin for error.

At that time, I was a grumpy, very bright but extremely alienated individual; this was the first paid work I had had in my life at which I excelled. (Apart from teaching, but that didn't start until I became a post-grad).

As an editor, I had an extraordinarily good and sharp eye for detail, errors, spelling, syntax and grammar, - something that surprised both of us - and this was an invaluable grounding and training for me.

Looking back, I now realise that I really enjoyed those years working with my mother.

Every so often, if my classes allowed it - even when I had started teaching - she used to bring me on inspections - sometimes, if she was ill, I stood in for her - the animals were inspected (by vets and agriculture dept officials) when they reached the age of two or three to ensure that they conformed to the stipulations of the breed - and each animal had its own page on the formal book - the information which I wrote feeding into what became its passport; I remember standing in farmyards, marts, market places, notebook in hand, scribbling the details - including the bloodlines - of these beasts down as they were called out to me by owners, vets and officials and double checking the paper-work, their birth certs, blood line details and so on.

It left me with a strange knowledge of - and understanding of - the vocabulary and concerns of the agricultural industry, something that has stood me in good stead when working abroad; likewise, I never thought that this early editorial experience would serve to open so many odd doors in my career and life.

5. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

Well I for one never worked for family and if I ever worked with or for my father I probably wouldn't be typing this comment for I would probably be in prison. I get along with my father just fine with the exception for doing something together that is work related. I probably could work at the same place, but I couldn't work for him or alongside him.

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Not directly, no. I had no idea your son was an adult, JK. I thought I remembered you saying he was sixteen. It's great to see family's work together, though. I take it he enjoys going bowling?

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

lmao on the bowling comment.
    he is 23, daughter is 18
    [​IMG]

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

If it was your daughter, wife, you and then son, it would be like cellphone bars. :p In a few short years, you two will be empty nesters and constantly calling your kids. Asking if you can go over. Or partying because there's no more kids in the house.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I work well with Mrs AFB. We cook together and I take photos of all her craft creations for her. But that's about it.

I used to have a customer years ago Man and wife who ran a small business together.
    After they got divorced they continued to work together.
    When she remarried later, they employed her new husband! Now that's strange!

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

Well, it has the makings for a Carry On film...

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Ohhh Matron!

12. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

My uncle and aunt had a family business cleaning and painting well actually applying special coatings to factory roofs and walls. They ended up in Hamilton Ontario our "steeltown" and the whole family (2 sons) were involved. The eldest took over while the younger went into It and ended working at some MS licensed support company (he is not a fan of Apple :D) and he and his wife are starting their own business doing financial and lifestyle consulting.

Your family look like a terrific bunch jk! Your son got a head of the rest of you -- wait stop don't shot!!!

P.S. I think we're (the Midget and myself the Greco-Canuck midget) are the same height actually.

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

My wife and I met at UPS (Ontario, California) in '95. We did bulk package delivery inside the Ontario UPS hub to outbound air containers and trailers. That's a two person team with an electric cart and six metal trailers each about 6 feet long. Think car parts, coolers, oversized boxes, wood, metal, chemicals, etc.

We got married in Nov. '97 and continued to work together until we both left in September '99.

After that I've never worked with her again and her work path and mine are different.

However, we developed a method of working during that time that we still fall into if we happen to be working together at home. There is an unspoken communication.

Once, we were handling a series of over-70s (packages weighing between 70-150lbs) and we had set them down temporarily prior to moving them to the appropriate trailer individually.

The sup that night didn't like that and made some angry remark at which point unthinking my wife and I collectively yelled back at her "We're not DONE yet!" We never had any issues with her after that.

*International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 63 Rialto, CA. I had seven years, she had five and we both vested.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I could probably work with my wife but she'd have to be in charge which is best since I'm better at support operations anyway. My paternal grandfather started a business after WWII that my father and all my uncle's worked for at some point. My maternal grandfather started a car repair business in the 70's my uncle on that side worked on and off with him until he took it over. I think working with family is fine as long as rolls are predefined and understood beforehand.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Set up the robot today ,should be up & running in a couple of weeks IMG_1802.JPG

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

Robotic arm and various heavy duty CNC machines...

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they sure come in handy :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    daughter ran one project at work

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

What are they going to be when they are finished? I miss my engineering days when we actually made things.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

she made a little hydrogen generator

20. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Very cool. Good to see a young lady interested in science and manufacturing.

21. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Brilliant; that is absolutely fantastic.

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Glad you get to work with your family :)

But working with my dad would mean I'd have to be a venture capitalist and I can't imagine anything I'd like to do less. And working with my sister would mean I'd have to work in a hospital, another job I'm not cut out for at all.

I get along pretty well with my family and am quite close to them, so I could imagine I would work fine with them in the appropriate workplace, but no one matches what I want to do (education/academia). But maybe some day I'll end up working with a spouse/partner. I can see how that would be a bit different than working with a parent or sibling.

23. Zenithal macrumors G3

Venture is quite fun, though. JK, what is it exactly your company makes?

24. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Looks like a great kid with a good Dad. :)

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

A bit of everything out if sheet metal. Lately it has been plenty of clothing bin donation boxes.