Workout app not updating 'Activity' counter?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by John A, Apr 28, 2015.

1. John A macrumors member

Mine is working fine, but my wife was on the treadmill for 20+ mins this morning - and the following happens.

She used the workout app, it shows the time, calories burned, average HR, distance traveled, and all the other relevant info.

But on her Circles 'Activity' monitor it shows zero exercise. It didn't move one bit.

I rebooted her watch, but no action. Checking the Activity app on her phone also shows the workout under 'Workouts' with all the details, but doesn't have any exercise listed on the chart above it.

Any thoughts?

2. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Same thing for me now 2 days in a row. Makes no sense.

3. digduggler macrumors 6502

It seems you have to get to a minimum HBPM threshold for your age/height/weight to register as exercise. How fast was she going?

4. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It must be at least a fast walk. Was it just a walk?

6. digduggler macrumors 6502

For me (and this might not be your case) it was a nice reminder that what I was considering exercise didn't necessarily qualify since I didn't get my heart rate up enough. It was also encouraging to see that yard work really is exercise :)

7. John A thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's HR related. Mine was way lower than my wife's - and my counted and hers didn't.

It COULD be related to swinging your arms, but I'm not sure yet.

Still, seems like others are having the issue....

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

But it is HR related. I did 15,000 steps on Sunday walking all around a theme park, but I only got 13 minutes of exercise. Looking at my hr for the day (in Health), the highest mine got was 81.

Looks like I have to hit at least about 115 before it starts counting as exercise. And it depends on how the Health details (age, gender, weight) are set up, as well.

9. corlando465 macrumors member

Same thing with mine. I went to gym on Sunday. Walked briskly on treadmill for 30 min. When I completed my walk the workout info had me as 7 minutes active. :( I'm hoping its will improve as it "learns" me better.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Look in Health to see what your heart rate was during that time.

11. David R macrumors 6502

Does it show on the watch and not on the iPhone app? I ask because I had that problem yesterday, the data hadn't been transferred to the app.

I forget exactly how I fixed it. I think I force quit the activity app on the phone, and I then started the activity app on the phone and exited. I don't think I restarted the watch. The data eventually appeared on the iPhone app.

12. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

My stats show up right away in the Activity app on iPhone; are people ending their workouts, scrolling to the bottom of the stats on the watch and pressing, "Save"? Because I assume that's a necessary step.

13. John A thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's HR related. My wife's HR for the workout was way into what would be considered exercise. Way higher than mine that DID count....but hers didn't.

Maybe it was the pace that was an issue?

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Dunno, but I also always save it.

15. John A thread starter macrumors member

I'm now leaning toward it being related to pace, not HR.

Anything 3mph or over SEEMS much more likely to register.

(as an example - if you get on a treadmill, set it to like 10% incline and walk 2.5 mph for an hour..... your HR will probably average 130 or more, but it won't count even a single minute)

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

it's odd

it's all getting pushed to the activity app on the phone and into Health (you can see all the data points including HR)

but it's doesn't seem to be updating the Activity app on the watch with some or all workouts

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1875468