Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
I cannot figure this out and hope someone can help. I take a daily walk and tell my watch 7 so. Recently IT started adding 'splits' to my walk (not me!). At random moments the screen shows split 1 or split 2. I am not sure what to do so I just click the side crown button to make it go away. I don't understand why it is doing this and suspect it a very annoying bug (as it did not used to do this). I am just walking, there are no sleeves pressing any buttons or touching the screen (well sometimes I wear long sleeves, sometimes short, it makes no difference). I once tried to lock the screen (water drop) but it STILL created its own split. I literally just did a short walk of just 30 minutes and it recorded two splits. How can I make this go away?

Thanks.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It's buried in the Workouts app on the Watch.

Follow the instructions for personalizing the view for the workout, but tap Alerts when you see that.

Attachments

• s1.PNG
    s1.PNG
    47.4 KB · Views: 91
  • s2.PNG
    s2.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 85

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Sorry I must not be getting it.... I don't want to personalise how workouts look. I want my watch to stop creating splits (pauses) in my workouts by itself. My watch is creating splits that I do not instigate or want, all by itself. It seems to have a life of its own.

rmw49

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Do what NoBoMac suggested. Start off by picking your outdoor walk and click on the three button icon top right and then click on the pen icon at the right and that way you can choose both your alerts and your workout views.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What the OP is talking about is segments.

They are saying that the watch creates segments on its own, even though they haven't double-tapped the screen. My usual recommendation would be to turn on water lock, but OP says they tried that, and the watch still created segments. I can't think of what could cause the watch to create segments without conscious user input even with water lock on. Hope someone has some ideas.

Reactions: apple fan23

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Sorry I must not be getting it.... I don't want to personalise how workouts look. I want my watch to stop creating splits (pauses) in my workouts by itself. My watch is creating splits that I do not instigate or want, all by itself. It seems to have a life of its own.
Workout
… button
Distance
edit button
Alerts
Splits
uncheck Splits Alert

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
What the OP is talking about is segments.

They are saying that the watch creates segments on its own, even though they haven't double-tapped the screen. My usual recommendation would be to turn on water lock, but OP says they tried that, and the watch still created segments. I can't think of what could cause the watch to create segments without conscious user input even with water lock on. Hope someone has some ideas.
No, OP is talking about splits. Splits alerts are now on by default (since WatchOS 9) for many types of workouts, segments are not.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Thank you guys! I was so confused. Reading your messages made me even more confused (sorry). I then clicked the splits on my phone and saw them described as "1 mile splits" and then I finally figured that this is normal behaviour and apple is doing this at every mile (and not randomly). Now I understand why you were all talking about adjusting how things look. I unchecked it and so it should be fine now. Thank you for your patience.... ;)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think so, as it's pretty much all or nothing. Can think of it as a notification of miles done with "bonus" of split information, or reverse it, want split information and will alert every mile (per "norm" for splits).

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Has anyone noticed the split times announced are wrong? The announced average times are always 1 second more than the latest split time. For example, on a walk, split 1 time is 15 minutes, and split 2 time is 16 minutes, the average should be 15:30. Instead, it will always show 16:01 for the average. Every time...

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Has anyone noticed the split times announced are wrong? The announced average times are always 1 second more than the latest split time. For example, on a walk, split 1 time is 15 minutes, and split 2 time is 16 minutes, the average should be 15:30. Instead, it will always show 16:01 for the average. Every time...
The announced average times are average for the most recent split, not the overall average.
Yes, the displayed split average appears to round down, while the announced split average appears to round up (or vice versa, I don't remember). For cycling, the averages are speed, not pace.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I noticed Siri started reading the splits to me on my AirPods during outdoor walk workouts. I didn't know that change was made but appreciated that metric, so I left it on. I kind of like it.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I was wondering about this. I turned it off, but instead of splits is there a way to alert me each mile but keep the average time going? I think this was done on WatchOS 7 or before, but I wouldn't mind just going by miles.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you guys! I was so confused. Reading your messages made me even more confused (sorry). I then clicked the splits on my phone and saw them described as "1 mile splits" and then I finally figured that this is normal behaviour and apple is doing this at every mile (and not randomly). Now I understand why you were all talking about adjusting how things look. I unchecked it and so it should be fine now. Thank you for your patience.... ;)
What happened after you unchecked it? Does Siri still announce every miles?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.