World of Warcraft on XP vs OSX

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ATTACKM4N, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ATTACKM4N macrumors newbie

So i recently just started playing WoW and im currently playing on my macbook(black). Im running the 10 day trial and i love the game. However I have to run every setting on low and i get a Framerate around 25-30 in the world and about 10-20 in cities. I recently just saw a post by someone saying that ever since they have installed WoTLK they have been getting a horrible framerate. So i researched this more and people were saying that that they were getting better results on XP then on OSX. Well, to test this i booted up bootcamp and installed the 10 day trial and got around 60 fps in the wild and 40-50 fps in cities on higher settings. So i was wondering why this is? judging that both os' are running on the same settings and if it was possible to get this quality on OSX. If worst comes to worst i can always run the game on XP but I really prefer running OSX. Any help would be great.

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

One word, Direct3D (windows). Thats your answer to your performance issue.

3. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^And as WoW supports Open GL and DirectX and only uses Open GL on the Mac port due to no native DirectX support, this is rather unlikely don't you think.
    Are you using a Macbook with the Intel graphics? If so this is likely be the problem as the OS X drivers for them are crap, way behind the Windows ones. With a dedicated GPU there's not a problem.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've read plenty of people here going for Windows for the best frames per second.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Telling us what model of Mac you have will be important for determining how you should run WoW.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I know on the Windows side beta drivers are available for NVidia cards. I wonder if there are any good options for the MacOX? But I don't have a clue how they would be installed if available.

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

If you have the GMA 950 you can overclock it in OS X with this

8. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Even in Windows OpenGL runs slower than the DX version. WoW "supports" OpenGL but I don't think they give it as much attention as the DX version.

9. TallBoyOH macrumors newbie

High frame rate using 2.8 Ghz iMac

I am extremely happy with the support and graphics on my 2.8 Ghz iMac. I am surprised at the responsiveness even in a full on Wintergrasp battle. Normal instances such as Nax, I run as high as 65-75 fps. Cities are the same...

I would believe your problem is going to be the lack of dedicated graphics card in the macbook. On-board graphics just have a hard time cutting it in such a intense 3D environment. I am guessing running windows will not help you a whole lot on this one...

10. DrHockey macrumors newbie

I get great WOW framerates running the game on my '08 iMac. It only struggles in the high lag areas like Dalaran (everybody's framerate drops there due to # of players in a concentrated space).

I found this thread on the Blizzard forums to be very helpful in configuring my iMac for WOW:

WOW Mac Performance Guide