Worldwide launch still on track? Why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tstrong2000, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Tstrong2000 macrumors member

I understand that this is a global board and that Apple is a global company but is it really necessary to dilute the available stock across the planet when you can't satisfy the demand in the US at this time? Why not delay the global launch and get some of the orders filled here before you ship everything overseas?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Part of the reason why there's a stock issue in the US is because scalpers are buying all the iPads and selling them abroad, where they aren't available. The international launch will help that.

3. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Not really. China, where I'd bet a majority of the scalped iPads are going, doesn't even have a launch date yet.

To answer the OPs question: The answer is "because the US isn't the center of the universe."

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I can guarantee you the iPads aren't just being shipped to China.

5. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Of course they're not "just being shipped to China." But I'd bet that constitutes a majority of foreign scalping.

For countries with a 3/25 launch, the market just isn't that big.

6. FutureStan macrumors member

You say that you "understand this is a global board and that Apple is a global company", but you see, I don't think you do, you're question shows that you don't understand that.

If you do want to understand, please follow this guide:
    1) Learn that USA != World*.
    2) Look at step 1 and read it 20 times.

*That is with all do my respect for the Americans, I do realize he does not represent all of you.

7. D12 macrumors newbie

I know for a fact that Russia and Dubai already got **** loads.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Steve Jobs feeds on the tears of angry fanboys.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Because Apple does not want to alienate their fans outside of the USA. So because we in the USA do not have enough stock of something, Apple should go against its word to the rest of the world and not ship any to them?

Remember, in Nintendo's eyes, USA was market #3. Japan, Europe then the US. We should be grateful that Apple still sees us as market #1.

10. maxap, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  11. Tstrong2000 thread starter macrumors member

Wow! A little bit of resentment on your part? My question is one of business philosophy and was not a slam to any other country. They are not able to satisfy the demand in country A. Why spread the limited stock around just to magnify the problem everywhere? Get off your soapbox and if you care to discuss the logic of the decision, I am interested in viewpoints. If not, then move on.

12. Rafterman macrumors 68000

But the US *is* the center of the Apple selling universe and that's all that matters. Sixty percent of iPads and iPhones are sold over here and an even higher percentage of Macs are sold.

13. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'm ready for the launch overseas just so some of the madness of buying them and shipping overseas will stop. From what I notice, even on these forums, is that people buy 2-3 at a time when they find them. It's ridiculous.

14. FutureStan, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

FutureStan macrumors member

First of all, you need to understand that I don't know you enough to resent you. I'm sorry if it came across as resentment, I've seen this question asked probably a hundred times already by morons, I'm actually glad that your question is genuine and not coming from a stupid brain-functioning-level.

"They are not able to satisfy the demand in country A. Why spread the limited stock around just to magnify the problem everywhere?"

iPad's shipments (or any product for that matter), and all the problems associated with that shipment is a process, a "building-process" to be precise, Imagine if you are building a car, You don't finish the back of the car, polish it, paint it, then move on to the left back door, carve it, polish it then paint it... and so on and on, but rather you carve the whole body of the car, polish all of it, then paint it (Solving the problem of building enough iPads on this case), So its much much better for Apple to have a shortage internationally and improving that little by little until they meet demand, than having to deal with each country and move on to the next (which in addition to that, how would they choose which country should be "served" first, France or Italy or..., and that would make a lot of customers furious), Also every day they delay the launch that means the iPad 2 is a day "older", because if they want to launch internationally until they meet full demand in the US, that would take them months, making customers around the world angry, but if they launch (with shortage of the device) then its a lot more likely that people will wait for few weeks in order to get the iPad 2 and not buy another Tablet.

Hope I made it clear enough. Again, Glad your intention was a genuine discussion. :)

15. gmans46 macrumors regular

alright 1 who gives a **** about nintendo and 2 there a japanese company technically apple is based in cupertino even though its products are made oversees its an american company which therefore them catering to us first makes sense

16. joshuajwalker macrumors newbie

Internet Dropping

Different perspective.. anyone having the same troubles with droping internet connectivity? :eek:

To answer the OPs question: The answer is "because the US isn't the center of the universe."[/QUOTE]

17. crazycanucks macrumors regular

You sound like an idiot. There is a world outside of America. No wonder Americans have such a bad rep around the world...

18. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I do think they put the two launches too close together.

But really they just need to not announce launches until they have a lot more stock available globally in the future. I think most would rather wait a month or two after an announcement to have more stock and the ability to pre-order etc.

Not having 18 different models splitting up the launch stock would help as well. Just launch with one color, maybe launch the wifi and 3g models separately like with the iPad 1 as well.

19. bmnkvld macrumors newbie

I was gonna say "USA is NOT the centre of the universe", but you already figured that out. I think Apple is well aware of the importance of other markets, outside of the usa. I mean, the competition is getting stronger, us Europeans aint gonna wait forever, especially when there are other tablets available.

edit:
    but i do agree this is a rather strange situation we have. Apple made it damn near impossible, logistically. How many models do they offer? Bizarre..

20. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

It is sad that there are a few Americans that feel they are the centre of the universe and deserve everything. I know it's not all. I've met a ton of amazing Americans, but there are always those few. But you can say the same about anywhere.

As for why not delay international launch? Because unlike the original iPad, Apple set a specific date for the iPad 2. Its been preparing for the international launch since the start. To come out and announce a very specific date, and themturn around and say "oh sorry, we aren't going to meet that" doesn't look so good to not only its customers but it looks bad in its business as well.

We have to remember, Apple had no real idea how popular the original iPad was going to be. And by not giving a specific date for the original iPad international release, the company didn't look bad.

This time Apple had a general idea of what the popularity would be and aloted stock accordingly. Did they under estimate? Looks like it, but it's a very tough job to predict the popularity of something.

Also, Apple doesn't want people in other countries looking alternatives to the iPad. Delay it a month and the competition could get the jump on people upset with a delay. Yes, that still could happen in the US as well, but the iPad 2 is already out at least.

21. samwise macrumors regular

There won't be 18 models for the rest of the world (Verizon CDMA is US-specific, AFAIK), so that's down to 12 models (3 x black wifi, 3 x white wifi, 3 x black 3G, 3 x white 3G).

Omitting Japan which has had its release date moved, the other countries (according to this Wikipedia page, have a combined population of over 613 million, so closing in on double the US population - lots more possible sales there, and lots more potential buyers to put off if they change the release date. Also, in a lot of countries, Apple will make more money than in the US as the converted price is higher in the local currency.

22. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Well said Canadianipad but the problem is you are going to see the same botched launch that we saw in the US. Long lines, limited supply and long wait times to get one. The US is currently at 4 to 5 weeks for new orders. I ordered mine on the 11th and it is still in shipping and if I'm very lucky I might see it on the 24th. That's 13 days from the day I ordered and I was one of the first orders. Apple underestimated or was unprepared, I don't know which but it is making them look bad.

Then factor in the scalpers who will also be in Canada to purchase Ipads at launch and ship them overseas. The demand is huge for this thing and you would think a global company like Apple would have a better idea on how to launch a product like the Ipad. I think you will be just as frustrated as your friends in the US after the 25th.

23. iPadPhone macrumors member

Because there is other places in the world than the US.

24. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

To clarify my above post, I don't in anyway think they should delay the international launch now. That would be terrible PR.

They probably should have just made it a month or 6 weeks after the US since supply is so limited, to give them time to ramp up production for both the US demand and the international launch.

That or just not launched until April or May and built up a stock pile and launched worldwide on the same day etc. They really rushed to get it out to keep the Xoom or other upcoming competitors like the Playbook getting any kind of foothold.

Good for them business wise, but it has made it a pain for consumers to get one since they didn't do a pre-order and have a very limited supply relative to demand. So it was line up early on release day, order online and wait, or keep checking now after launch and see if you luck into one. And I say that with no personal motivation as I ordered online on launch date/time and got mine on the 15th.

25. KingPasta macrumors member

KingPasta

Agree.

With a higher combined population - thats a lot more people buying things on the itunes or app store. I don't know but Apple may make much more money from other international markets than America via the iTunes store.

America is a big place. But there's a very big, and different world outside America.