Worldwide shortage of 1TB hard drives

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SWin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SWin macrumors newbie

I am new to the forum but have been using Apple products for many years.
    Have an issue with my 27" iMac quad core i7 with 8GB RAM and 1TB HD.

My HD has failed - totally dead (cannot boot into OS) and requires replacement. This should not be an issue since my computer is < 1yr old with a 3 yr Applecare warranty. Apple customer care diagnosed a 'broken' HD and arranged replacement of the HD at a local authorised repair centre (in Singapore). Unfortunately, they cannot get a new HD - wait for it, until, 30 Jan 2012 (yes 2012).

I took this up with an Apple Customer Relations person (located in Melbourne) who confirmed the delivery date of 30 Jan 2012. Apparently there is a WORLWIDE shortage of TB HD's so I assume they cannot supply any new computers with 1TB HD's until 2012. Just thought I would let everyone know Apple current Logistics problem.

What do I do next? Should I wait 6 months? Any suggestions?

I am obviously more than a little frustrated with Appl's response - the Customer Relations contact said they would offer me something for my experience (!!!) but currently has no alternative plan to expedite. I suggested that they replace my 1TB drive with a 2TB drive, but NO and even requested a new machine (again, surprisingly NO).

Would welcome any feedback or suggestions (again) on how to proceed.

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

as an owner of several apple products - it is upsetting/disappointing to read that they haven't come up with an acceptable solution for you..sorry, man.

3. GyroFX macrumors 6502

should get someone you know over seas to send you an internal HD and let Apple reimburse you?

4. mapleleafer macrumors regular

That's completely unacceptable. You probably wouldn't have this problem if you were in the west. Complain louder.

5. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

I would ask for a credit or Apple store gift card for the price of a new HDD and the cost of having an authorized service center install it (for warranty purposes). Then just get your HDD somewhere else. You will probably end up with a better spec HDD doing it this way. Not sure if Apple would agree to this but it's worth asking. A 5 month wait is not rubbish!

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

There is no shortage. Even if there were, they should pony up and put in a 2TB. The price difference is nothing. Push them for 2TB.

7. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

It can't be "worldwide" as you can find them in every single electronics store in the US.

Amazon, for instance:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=1tb+internal+&x=0&y=0

If you really wanted to, you could no doubt find a place to ship you one and you could change it out yourself. It is not hard.

But I would just call Apple back. The person you talked to sounds like they were straight out lying to you.

Plus, it doesn't even sound like typical Apple. I can see them replacing it with a 2TB HDD before they would make you wait 6 months for your APPLECARE protected computer.

8. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

As said in previous posts, complain loudly and repeatedly but politely. You should also move up in the management ladder. If your problem can not be solved at a certain level, you should ask to talk to the supervisor of the person whom you are currently speaking to. If you are not totally out of luck, your problem can be solved at the team-leader level.

9. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi SWin,
    that is a total nonsense - and if it's true in your part of the world Apple should supply you with any HD (1Tb +) in as short time as humanly possible (as not to inconvenience you since they have all your money).

10. Jexta macrumors member

Hi there, I am an Apple Certified Technician, and I work for an Authorised Service Center. I replaced 3 1TB HDD's last week in iMac's. There is currently however, a recall on mid 2011 iMac's sold with Seagate 1TB's due to a faulty batch of HDD's.

As previously suggested, complain a little louder, and longer, and Apple will do their best for you.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Utter Garbage

I can buy as many 1TB HDD's as I like, right here right now, and so can they. Sounds to me like youve been fobbed off by a poor applecare representitive, I would take it higher up the food chain....There is no "Worldwide shortage of 1TB HDD's"

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

12. SawceBaws macrumors member

Go and break all hell loose in the Apple Store, and ask them if they're ****ing kidding you.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

QUITE frankly I think this is a false story. No in fact it is most certainly a false story. Either by you or the apple rep that has dealt with you on the phone or in the store. Living in New Jersey and originally living in Brooklyn I have dealt with good companies that have corrupt workers more then once. Having spent time in Singapore while in the US Navy it is a city with many rules and regulations. I suggest finding out one that is in your favor and using it to fix the problem if it is indeed the apple store that is doing this to you.

14. meerkat35 macrumors newbie

Interesting to know because I had the same problem a month ago with my 1tb HDD on my 27" iMac but I'm located in Kuala Lumpur and it took the Apple Service Center exactly a week for a replacement and return my iMac.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

16. SWin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments posted.
    Some good news. The Apple Customer Relations Department has just got back in touch with me and have offered to replace my 1TB HD with a 2TB HD.
    The authorised repair shop received the HD today and are installing now.

Very pleased to see that they finally responded to my request for an alternative solution - I assume that 2TB drives are not in short supply.
    Restored some of my faith in Apple!

Should get my computer back tomorrow (the repair shops work on Saturday in Singapore).

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In The End

That is one hell of a good result :)

18. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

I wouldn't expect anything less from Apple.
    Great news for you.