Worried about going from 8+ keyboard to the X, any one else?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you don't like the X, you can certainly return it. Might as well wait until you actually try it, rather than worrying about it days in advance.
That was what I was thinking to but the keyboard is a deal breaker for me. There is no way I could go back to a regular size keyboard so it looks like I will be waiting till next year and hope they are all OLED.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Typing is a high priority for me as well. I'm so used to the larger keyboard on the plus size models now. I do a lot of typing in Textastic, Pythonista and Editorial. Hopefully I'll adjust quickly.

I worried about the same thing when going to a first gen butterfly keyboard on the laptop but now I can't imagine using an older keyboard. Though I think I'm in the minority on that one.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Typing is a high priority for me as well. I'm so used to the larger keyboard on the plus size models now. I do a lot of typing in Textastic, Pythonista and Editorial. Hopefully I'll adjust quickly.

I worried about the same thing when going to a first gen butterfly keyboard on the laptop but now I can't imagine using an older keyboard. Though I think I'm in the minority on that one.
I remember having so much trouble on my iPhone 5 and 6 and how it all changed when I dumped the 6 for the 6+ and I am not looking back! I feel better now as I just save myself $1100 and allowed someone to move in front of me in the line.

earthdog

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Hoping I can adjust but it is what I like best about my + size phones, the larger keyboard.:(

Could be a deal breaker, time will tell.
I am with you on this one. Frankly the IOS keyboard stinks. I use Gboard and Google has really stepped it up so I am hopeful. Big fingers smaller keyboard (coming from and 7+) should be interesting.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I remember having so much trouble on my iPhone 5 and 6 and how it all changed when I dumped the 6 for the 6+ and I am not looking back! I feel better now as I just save myself $1100 and allowed someone to move in front of me in the line.
Just keep in mind that in landscape, it will be wider and should offer a larger keyboard. Assuming it does landscape like the plus... has anyone said if it does?

gsk158

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
ive had plus model since the 6 however in prep for the X I sold my 7 plus and have been using a 5s, so switch to a smaller one for a few days lol

Reactions: KrazyBear15

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just keep in mind that in landscape, it will be wider and should offer a larger keyboard. Assuming it does landscape like the plus... has anyone said if it does?
I remember trying the landscape thing and it still does not beat a + keyboard in portrait.
[doublepost=1509464380][/doublepost]
ive had plus model since the 6 however in prep for the X I sold my 7 plus and have been using a 5s, so switch to a smaller one for a few days lol
I take my old 6 out sometimes and it feels like a toy. I try to type on it and between my typos and Apple's attempt to correct them . . . . . well I am sticking with the 8+

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Somewhat of a concern. When I got the initial plus model I wished it was a bit smaller, probably the same size as the X. But I appreciated the extra real estate, keyboard and over time got use to carrying around the larger phone. I want the X but am hoping I'm not going to find the keyboard as a significant downgrade. If that does happen I can always return for the 8+...

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I was like 50% accurate when typing on the iPhone SE when I first got it. It's now back to 90% and I came from using smartphones with 5.3"-5.7" displays.

It's like riding a bike, driving a car, or having sex. You don't forget.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
So did you cancel it without actually trying it first?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I've seen this thinking before, but I don't agree. I think I'll make the switch just fine. Why? Because in the past 10 years I've used the keyboard on a 3.5" phone, 4.0", 5.5", laptop keyboard, iPad keyboard, full-sized keyboard at work, etc. I regularly switch between most of those (5.5", laptop, iPad, full-sized) on a daily basis. I even occasionally find myself needing to type of my girlfriend's S8 (close in size to the X). At no point have I EVER said to myself "just give it a few moments to adjust". I pick up a different sized device and have 0 problems adapting.

I should also point out that I sit in front of a computer for a living and have for more years than I care to admit. I can actually type at a fairly good speed and don't just type with one finger. Switching keyboards has never slowed me down at all or caused any other issues.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not the least bit worried about myself in this case.

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
I got my X case today. Doesn’t feel that much smaller than the plus but I’m sure it won’t take long to get used to typing on it.

Reactions: zhandri

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Can't cancel as it is shipped but will refuse delivery. Just tried using my 6 keyboard and there is no possible way I would go back to that size keyboard.
Why not wait until you can experience it first hand before making that type of decision? I would take the reviews with a grain of salt and try it myself.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Why not wait until you can experience it first hand before making that type of decision? I would take the reviews with a grain of salt and try it myself.
Trying the keyboard on my 6 was enough for me. I seldom read reviews. I know the X keyboard will not be good for me so best to refuse the shipment and let it get in someone else's hands sooner.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Trying the keyboard on my 6 was enough for me. I seldom read reviews. I know the X keyboard will not be good for me so best to refuse the shipment and let it get in someone else's hands sooner.
I’m afraid of the keyboard as well, but using the 6 keyboard is not going to give you a good example. The keyboard will be similar but the screen on the X is still bigger.

I figure if I do not like my X I will switch to the 8 plus. I am not that worried.

List of things I am worried about:
- Keyboard
- Notch Usability
- No home button actually making it harder to use the device in normal use
- Face ID not working great in all scenarios