Worried about warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kernel-panic, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kernel-panic macrumors newbie

I'm seriously considering purchasing either a MBA or MBP when they refresh, but I'm worried about the one year warranty. Surely, since Macs are so expensive and Apple are so assured of their quality, three years would make more sense? Even the most basic ThinkPad T series laptops comes with a three year warranty.

Convince me.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Read any consumer magazine and look at repair rates and customer satisfaction surveys. Convince yourself...

...or just buy AppleCare

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

buy applecare and you get your 3 year warranty. If you're that concerned and don't want to buy the extended warranty then buy the thinkpad.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Applecare

It's a no brainer, just read through the forums and reviews on other sites...It's second to none. Yes, you pay more for Apple kit, but you DO get what you pay for.

5. kernel-panic thread starter macrumors newbie

But what about 2 or 3 years down the line if I'm left with a dead £1000 or so Macbook? Not going to pay for Applecare on top of the Apple tax.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a dead laptop and chose not to pay for the extended warranty then you're out of your money.

I'm not seeing the issue here, since you're unwilling to pay for the extended warranty and apple does not offer a standard warranty over 1 year. It sounds like that is a requirement on your part and apple does fit that requirement so buy a laptop that offers a 3 year warranty for free.

7. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

ok

Then buy the ThinkPad if you think it's a better deal for the money.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Actually according to Lenovo's site, their laptops come with a 1 year warranty as standard. Just like Apple.

You should really know what you're talking about before starting a flame-bait thread. (It's the same on their UK site as well.)

Attached Files:

9. kernel-panic thread starter macrumors newbie

Flame-baiting? I should have known not to post on a fanboy site, just a hint of cynicism and you have the Apple brigade with their thinly-veiled hostility all over you.

Attached Files:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You implied that Lenovo provided a three year warranty for free and you were unwilling to pay for apple's. What darth.titan illustrated is that Lenovo charges for the extended warranty as well.

You asked to be convinced to buy the MBP, we cannot convince you, its your money and if you're unwilling to buy apple's extended warranty then that's your business. Buy what ever laptop you feel fits your needs the best

11. amoda macrumors 6502a

Not all warranties are equal.

My experience with Apple warranty has been nothing short of fantastic. I've had machines replaced and upgraded free-of-charge, or at the very least repaired in a short period of time hassle-free. On the other hand my sister has had horrible warranty experience with HP. Neither of us have experience with Lenevo so I can't be specific about them.

My point is, check the "real" service you get with the warranty. I'd rather pay a premium for a service that will actually take care of me when I need it, rather than one that keeps me without a machine for weeks and returns it in no better shape (my sister's experience).

See how Lenevo's services actually compare, and then make up your mind. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever machine you pick.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, you can purchase AppleCare anytime within the first year. So if you need time to come up with funds you can purchase the laptop then purchase the extended warranty up to 12 months later.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Lately those have been showing Lenovo with fewer repair issues than Apple. I've had to take in plenty of Apple products. The reason I don't reference sources like repair rates from consumer magazines is that I don't know their method of data collection.

It's not a no brainer. I've used both. If you're not buying low end products that argument goes out the window.

Yes they're often expensive but I'm so tired of that term. It actually varies considerably. Apple is way more competitive certain years than others. The price points stay around the same levels, but what they include and how often they update makes up the variation.

Relax dude. The site is really a mix, but any computer can die on you, and Apples are not perfect. They can experience problems or component failure just like any other brand.

They have flat fee repairs on some of their mobile computers. I don't know what determines eligibility there though. I don't know if it's models past a certain age or whatever. You might want to research the cost of potential repairs vs cost of Applecare, but any computer can break. They are all made from much cheaper parts than they were a decade or more ago, and Apple uses Foxconn for assembly just like HP.

Does any of that help? Also do a search on here. There are a couple people who own lenovos that seem to really like them. If I switched to Windows that's probably the first brand I'd research.

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

No, this is not a no-brainer issue. There are many posts on the pros and cons. Also, check your credit card coverage. It's not the same as the Apple warranty but you may get a second year of repair coverage.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Then you've just answered your own question. Apple is not for you.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The "convince me" did it. Get a ThinkPad.

Apple tax? What is "Apple tax"? Is that something that Microsoft's marketing department invented? (Answering my own question: Yes, it is. )

16. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Pay with an Amex credit card and you get a second year of warranty for free. Other credit cards may offer the same benefit.

17. iStudentUK, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Actually Darth.titan was incorrect, exactly as the OP said Lenovo UK offer a three year basic warranty on their T-series laptops. You can pay extra for faster service, but 3 years is standard.

Not usually in the UK, where the OP seems to be from (but due to consumer protection laws they are equally liable with the seller on statutory grounds).

Three ideas OP-

First, John Lewis offer a two year warrarnty on all laptops and desktops sold as standard, and in my experience John Lewis have excellent customer service.

Second, read up on the Sale of Goods Act 1979, I occasionally cite it when I have an issue and it seems sometimes just mentioning it gets people to repair/replace.

Third, as mentioned above, buy on a credit card then you can claim against them too under Consumer Credit laws if all else fails.

18. Portaluk Guest

I highly recommend this, I have quoted it several times in stores when dealing with difficult sales staff/managers.

Going by memory, so I may be wrong, in THEORY the sale of goods act covers goods for up to six years but YOU would have to prove it is a manufacturing fault and the product should have lasted longer.
    Which basically means a court case and a load of hassle, as anyone that asks for a repair on a six year old faulty item isn't going to get very far.