Worse 3G reception since 2.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GratefulMed, Nov 24, 2008.

1. GratefulMed macrumors newbie

While I like the modest features improvements with 2.2, I've seen a significant degradation of 3G reception since the update. I now see only Edge connectivity from my home and for a few blocks around it. Frequently, the phone doesn't automatically shift to 3G connection when I enter a known 3G area, requiring entering the settings menu and toggling 3G "off" and then "on" again to connect to 3G. I had no such problems before 2.2. Anyone else seeing this? I've not seen threads suggesting a widespread problem.

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have not seen improved/degraded reception on 2.2. It does seem to maintain the connection better going between Edge/3G though.

3. det2004 macrumors 6502

I used to have 5 bars of 3g in my home, but after the update I'm down to 1 or 2 bars, and on Edge. My wife's phone is the same way. I went over to the AT&T store today, hoping there was some kind of outage in the area that could be fixed, but they said there wasn't any, and to contact Apple about my phone.

Needless to say, I walked in the door at the AT&T store...started telling them my problem, and about only getting Edge now...pull the iphone out of my pocket and look at the screen....5 bars of 3g!

But it didn't last. I got a few miles down the road and it was back to Edge for me. :mad:

4. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

I'm having better connections in The Netherlands, T-Mobile.

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i "seem" to have better 3G service since 2.2

In my office at work i use to have it go from 3G to E all the time. Since 2.2 it stays on 3G at about 3 bars. In areas I know is 3G my phone is always on 3G now vs switching to E sometimes. One area where I experince a dropped call with full 3G service no longer happens.

2.2 seemed to have improved reception for me. I swear. I know its only been a few days w/2.2 but we'll see what happens as the month goes on.

6. adamrc macrumors newbie

I have been having better reception since updating to 2.2. I was able to stay on 3G at work even while taking a couple of elevators with no dropped call or quality loss. It is staying on 3G more than it used to.

7. det2004 macrumors 6502

I seem to be one of the "lucky few" who have had their signal decrease after the update. I really was hoping it was an ATT problem, and not a problem with my phone. I'm still on my original 3g iphone that I bought on launch day, and it has been perfect other than this, and I really don't want to trade it in for a different one..

8. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Mine just go to edge when tthere is no significant internet use. When i use safari or any internet app it switches to 3g.

9. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I'm not sure about mine. I agree that it seems that locations where I formally had 3G are now on Edge. At the same time though, when it does switch to Edge, I normally keep all bars of service. Also, I'm not dropping any calls anymore either.

I'm happy with the phone using Edge when needed as long as my calls don't drop.

10. welles13 macrumors member

This update goes down as the worst in the phone's short history. Previously rock solid phone and 3G connection destroyed. Before I had 5 bars almost constantly, now it is down to 2-3 and 3G is in and out. I'm even having trouble maintaining connection to the network. Of course I come on here and see the same old people claiming safari is 'snappier' with this update. What a joke.

11. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

I have seen a minor signal increase since i updated to 2.2.

in the office where i would get 0 to 1 bar of radio signal and either no data 'gprs' 'edge' or '3G' I now get 1 to 3 bars of radio signal and always have 'gprs' occasionally 'edge'

normally in very good signal area's other than work so wont notice anything different.

O2 UK

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well that's one data point. The majority of the others seem to be that this update is an improvement.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

The things I've noticed:

1. Less overall reception. At work, I sit at the edge of a WLAN and used to get at least two bars of wifi reception. I get jack since the upgrade.

2. I've noticed that I now have to manually add the SSID at work and won't see the WAP unless I do this (never had to do this before...my other wifi devices detect the WAP automatically).

Other than that, I've no issues with 2.2. If it weren't for my above listed problems, I'd not know the operational differences between 2.1 and 2.2.

14. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Right. A joke.
    :rolleyes:
    Kinda like your claim that this is the worst in the phone's history.

For me it has been the best since 2.0.

Guess you just had bad luck.

15. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

With 2.1 I used to get around 700 kbps at home and about 850 kbps at work of 3G. Now i only get around 450 kbps in both places. It's definitely not as good with 2.2. I'm in Orlando.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't know how you guys feel because I didn't even get 3G until after the update. No, it wasn't the UPDATE that gave me 3G, but AT&T finally upgraded my state to 3G and I get 3G pretty much EVERYWHERE except for at my desk inside. I just turn EDGE on when I'm at work, and when I leave, I put 3G back on... pretty nice.

EDIT: Has anyone tried resetting their Network settings?

17. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i have gotten better 3G service since the upgrade. well it seems that way.

In my office at work it was always E. Ever since 2.2 I've had 3-4 bars of 3G so... and its fast.

an area where I had dropped calls no longer does that so...

18. det2004 macrumors 6502

I wonder if restoring my phone would make any difference? I had full bars of 3g before the update, but now after updating to 2.2 I only have 1 or 2 bars of edge. :mad:

19. diggator macrumors member

diggator

my 3g signal not good, seems worse after update - trying the Reset Network connection as suggested...

20. det2004 macrumors 6502

I tried the reset network connection option, but I'm still stuck with Edge.

Has anyone who had a degraded signal after the 2.2 update tried a full restore of the phone? Did this get your 3g back?

21. det2004 macrumors 6502

Are there really that few of us that are experiencing 3g problems after the 2.2 update?

22. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I'm just going to submit a complaint with Apple.

23. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

It could be the increased amount of 3g phones in your area AT&T isn't keeping up with all the 3g phones they are pushing. I don't even use 3g I get wifi all over my area provided by my cable company and my school edge is solid for calls.

24. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

What is the reset network connection option? How is this done?

25. Zavior macrumors newbie

Zavior

If you go by Apples official forums many have problems with the latest’s firmware. I myself have problems with the connection to EDGE/3G network.