Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
May I ask what the eggshell one looked like? Seriously, I don't have a clue...
iMacG3.jpg

Just a few weeks ago I was carrying my iBook G4 down from my parents room with the screen open. Well, it slipped out of my hands. Oops. It tumbles down 10 or 12 stairs, hits the wall, and proceeds to flop down the remaining 5 stairs. (The stairs have a 90 degree right turn)I ran down to it thinking "OH ****!" It was facing screen down. The Apple on the back was still illuminated, so I was hoping the damage wasn't too severe. I gingerly picked it up and looked it over. Nothing was broken, everything worked fine. I'm sure it got a few more scratches then it previously had, but it's still working just great. :) I must've got really lucky.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Ermm not me but my friend managed to get coffee between the layers of his macbook pro lcd. I had to open it up and clean the diffusers one by one

Jamesfolo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Ireland
No pics, but so far this year my MacBook has fallen from my bed twice, had a bottle of miller spilled on it by some idiot while I was DJaying, have a pint glass fall on it denting the trackpad (again some drunk idiot), and more recently the front bits either side of the trackpad have started to chip away at the front.

Amazingly it still works...perfectly

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
No pics, but so far this year my MacBook has fallen from my bed twice, had a bottle of miller spilled on it by some idiot while I was DJaying, have a pint glass fall on it denting the trackpad (again some drunk idiot), and more recently the front bits either side of the trackpad have started to chip away at the front.

Amazingly it still works...perfectly

so what did you learn?...... stay away from drunken idiots

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I bought a PowerMac G5 from a member on this forum about two years ago and it was damaged during shipment:

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

The person I purchased it from did not insure it unfortunately. :( Luckily, it still turned on fine and worked, so my uncle helped me get the case somewhat fixed up... Had to drill some screws in to hold it in place:

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

You should've seen the look on my face when it was delivered. Funny thing is the FedEx guy that delivered it is the one who dropped it right on my stairs! Rang my doorbell and ran off.. I opened the door and saw a bunch of styrofoam all over my stairs and a little mark on the stairs where he dropped it. Awesome.
I swear I saw that same Powermac on ebay a little while back.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Just a few weeks ago I was carrying my iBook G4 down from my parents room with the screen open. Well, it slipped out of my hands. Oops. It tumbles down 10 or 12 stairs, hits the wall, and proceeds to flop down the remaining 5 stairs. (The stairs have a 90 degree right turn)I ran down to it thinking "OH ****!" It was facing screen down. The Apple on the back was still illuminated, so I was hoping the damage wasn't too severe. I gingerly picked it up and looked it over. Nothing was broken, everything worked fine. I'm sure it got a few more scratches then it previously had, but it's still working just great. :) I must've got really lucky.

LMFAO!!!!! Another time i did bad to my mac was when i was going to get a bag for my macbook and i had it in the back seat and when my mom was on the exit ramp onto the bridge stupid people wouldnt move over cause they suck at driving and cant learn the rules of the road she slammed the breaks and the macbook went flying into the back of my seat and i almost cried cause it was brand new but no harm done :D

huskydsl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
I set my powermac G4 on fire when i tried to get an SCA harddrive to work internally. I bought this crazy adapter thing that actually melted in seconds and burst into flames. It was very strange but the G4 still works... hard drive was caput though

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
The person I purchased it from did not insure it unfortunately. :( Luckily, it still turned on fine and worked, so my uncle helped me get the case somewhat fixed up... Had to drill some screws in to hold it in place:

Wow that doesn't look half bad once you bent it back into shape. I'd be satisfied with that, although still a bit ticked off at the delivery guy.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I don't have photos of this but I accidentally knocked a sleeping iMac (G5) off a low table - it fell upside down and landed on its face, IIRC. I thought for sure it was going to be broken, alas, it was not. :)

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I was half asleep one night (it had to be about 3 in the morning) and decided I wanted to drink some water. But I didn't want just any plain old water. I wanted water mixed with those neat little "Crystal Light" sugar packets than turn a bottle of water into Pink Lemonade.

So I grab the bottle from the refrigerator, screw open the cap and sit it on my desk next to my laptop (something I swore I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER do). I grabbed one of the Crystal Light packets and the darn thing wouldn't open, so I pulled harder and with the flick of a wrist, my hand hit the bottle, which toppled over, spilling half a 20 oz bottle of aquafina onto my MBP's keyboard. For about 2 or 3 seconds I was like O_O, but then I quickly shut the power off, removed the batter, and drained all the excess water in the sink.

I left it shut off overnight for it to dry, and turned it back on the next day (about 12 hours later). I was blessed because it worked perfectly and still does to this day. But I was paranoid for about a week or two, thinking that I'd turn it on and it wouldn't work.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I lost my ipod touch this past summer. I looked high and low for that thing and could never find it. Then one day I found a cordless phone in the garbage and our two year old carrying a remote control to the garbage. I guess I went too far with "help clean up".

Doh!

On the bright side, now I have a gen 2 touch that never makes it to 2-year-old level.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
After a long day I came home and put my Macbook Pro on my bed.. my dog jumped on my bed and my MBP slid off the edge crashing 3 feet onto my wood floor. My dogs gets freightened and jumps of the bed on to my MBP. Still works perfectly fine but is dinged up now :eek:

faciem

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Cleveland, OH
ugh

Closed a pen in my penryn mbp. I just love my new sweet home setup. Now I have to use my old compaq laptop until I get the new LCD.

Attachments

• laptop-pen.gif
    laptop-pen.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,741
  • laptop-display.gif
    laptop-display.gif
    74.4 KB · Views: 178

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
013.jpg

I'm actually pretty happy about that. Some guy dropped it and it got that dent and would not boot up for him. He sold it to me for $100, and a $50 hdd fixed it and turned me onto mac...

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
grabbed a friend's laptop bag to hand it to him, but he left it unzipped and out flew the macbook!

#2 story:
accidentally spilled water on my old black macbook.
immediately held down power button, turned it upside down, removed battery, and placed it upside down on a pillow for a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.