Worst Announcers in Sports

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ViciousShadow21, Jun 5, 2009.

?

Worst Sports Announcers?

1. Baseball

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. American Football

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Rest of the world Football

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Hockey

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Basketball

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. NASCAR

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. Golf

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  8. Boxing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tennis

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Shin Kicking (it's a real sport look it up)

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. Bowling

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. Cricket

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. Cycling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. World's Strongest Man

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. Rugby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Horse Racing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. X-Games (ie "extreme sports)

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  18. Poker

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  19. Other

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

I was watching the Federer quarterfinal match and i just got to say that Tennis announcers are the absolute worst. They never shut up and their analysis is so dumb and they are never right about anything. I would mute them but i like hearing the ball hit back and forth haha.

Turning this into a poll. Tried to put as many sports as i could think of but, if i left it out, vote other and write in your vote.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I know exactly how you feel. In Australia, where the Free-to-Air channels have some of the best commentary in the world (citation needed :D), the couple of minutes where we switch over to cable during the ads is almost unbearable.

The commentators/hosts for the Indian Premier League by Australia's SBS were so unprofessional, it honestly made me gag. I didn't watch more than 10 minutes of the broadcast, so maybe it was just a bad day.

EDIT: ah, so it's in a particular sport, not a particular person. In that case, I would probably say Cricket. Since there is no denying that it is a slow sport, the commentators have to say something. I know it's a tough job in that sport, and I applaud them, but the drivel you get sometimes it's like slow torture, good thing you can kinda walk away from the TV and not miss much.

I want to add something to Tennis: in the last Australian Open, Jim Courier almost outed himself in the way he was praising Roger Federer. And in the post-game interviews, you should've seen how close he was standing to Roger. I'm sure there is some youtube vision.

3. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Yea i wanted to keep the poll to one sport. but as for the discussion, i would love to hear some good rants about bad sports announcers. like....

that's probably what i hate most about Tennis announcing. When ever the player is doing well they are kissing his @$$, but as soon as something goes wrong they are bashing them. they epitomize bandwagon/frontrunners in all of sports.

4. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Jackie Oakley - Football on BBC - tv and radio. She shouts and her voice grates.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

6. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh yea. they are the worst in all of baseball. esp Tim McCarver (HERE is a great website about it). Joe Morgan is a close second. another guy who never shuts up and over analyzes everything.

and i see you are from Mass, arent you enjoying Eck. i think he's great.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mark 'Lawro' Lawrenson is a know-nowt buffoon.

8. leandroc76 macrumors regular

so you're saying you are willing to hear "Boogity Boogity Boogity!!!" for the next ten years in NASCAR!

No... someone please shoot Darryl waltrip

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would say the ESPN Sunday night baseball crew is worse.
    It's your own fault for watching NASCAR.:p

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Ive only seen a couple of games recently (been really busy) but he's been good. Better than Remy IMO, but that's not hard. I can't stand Remy.. and the way the pink hats adore him makes it even worse. NESN just blows anyways.

Jon Miller is good. Joe Morgan is terrible.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

No need for further discussion.

13. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

DW now is so much worse than DW 10 yrs ago.

That said, comparing NASCAR coverage, TNT/NBC is the worst. Bill Weber and Wally Dallenbach are absolutely horrible. DW and Larry Mac are funny.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't forget Steve Phillips. I don't know how much he sold his soul for but he seems to be high on the ESPN totem poll now.

I only watched NESN to see Hazel. She's gone now no reason to watch.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Heidi is way better than Hazel

16. hellrider macrumors regular

Though he has retired, John Madden was quite easy to, er, make fun of.

Always stating the obvious, and sounds idiotic next to Al Michaels.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Heidi seems like a floozy, What happened to Remi anyways.

Al Michaels just doesn't shut up, he has to over analyze every play and explain the rules every 5 minutes.

18. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Got cancer from smoking 3 packs a day. Now he's out of the booth for a bit because he had some complication from the treatment.

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

NESN just isn't the same without RemDog, possibly my favorite announcer in all of sports. But as for least favorite, I don't really think it comes down to specific sports, but more of specific times in sports.

My least favorite has to be baseball announcers in the post-season, particularly on FOX. FOX has the worst coverage of baseball I have ever seen. And their announcers are awful...there are times when I have just muted the tv it was that bad. Red Sox Yankees in the post-season on FOX makes you feel like you are watching the most biased game announcing in all of sports. But the absolute worst part of it all is the statistics they throw out mid game, they are so far into the season they have no interesting statistics left.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

TBS easily wins for worst post season baseball broadcasts. I will easily take Fox over TBS any day during the playoffs. Remember how bad NBC was at doing it in the late 90's.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Joe's father was a true legend. Unfortunately that talent was never passed down to his son.

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Yeah, good point, TBS was terrible, at least FOX was better than somebody...but then again, maybe I'm just spoiled with NESN (at least when they had Jerry Remy), NESN has some of the best sports coverage I've ever seen.

24. TSE macrumors 68030

I personally love Dick and Bert... the Twins commentators. I haven't found a single person that doesn't like them. The two make a great combo, they are funny, not biased, and they call a great game. Not to mention they know what they are talking about when it comes to baseball, Bert is one of the best pitchers ever in baseball.

25. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Monday Night Football has had it's share. Kornheiser was bad, Dennis Miller was worse