Worst Apple customer service I have ever had.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wbennett01, Oct 23, 2008.

1. wbennett01 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new iphone 3g on 9-22-08. It was going to replace my first generation iphone that I had purchased right after they were released. I gave my first generation iphone to my wife for her to use and I would get the new 3g with 16gigs of storage. (We live in Alaska without 3g service) After less then a month of use I dropped it from about 4 feet while going into my house. There was no damage to the phone and I placed it in my pocket. I pulled the phone out a few hours later and a few cracks had formed in the bottom left corner of the glass. A few hours later more cracks had formed and spider webbed out. The phone still worked great but I now had a crack in the glass. I wasn’t too worried because I had been using apple products for years and had to call customer care a few times before.
    My experience has always been very professional and they were always very eager to help and solve my problem. I often get a prepaid shipping box within a day after calling. I called that night and got a guy who right off the bat said that he couldn’t help me. It was my fault that I dropped it and there was nothing he could do. He told me to try and sell the phone on eBay so that I could get some of my money back. He said call and claim it on my home owners insurance so they would pay for it. He said call your credit card company and have them cover the cost of the new iphone with a buyer protection program. I thought I was on the phone with someone from Microsoft. I have never been treated like this from apple in 10 years I have been working with them.
    So I had purchase a first generation iphone in July of 07 and it suffered no damage after being used for over a year and suffered numerous accounts of abuse with no ill effects. Then I get a new iphone 3g and it cracks within a month of use.
    The next day I called apple back and explained my problem to another customer service rep and he was much more helpful. He said that broke glass is often not covered under warranty unless the glass was defective. (I believe it was) He still said he would send a box for me mail it back so that they could look it over. I got my phone back on Wednesday night with a note that said it would not be covered under warranty. I guess I am just stuck with an iphone with broken glass.
    At this point I guess this is just a rant but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You broke the glass: just because it was not visibly cracked the second after you dropped it does not mean that the drop was not the cause.

3. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

You dropped it and it broke. I'm sorry, but the durability of the glass and resistance to breaking when it falls from 4 ft is hardly a defect. My car door was dinged yesterday. Should the manufacturer cover it because the metal was thin and bent? Nope. That the glass spidered after you dropped it doesn't make it a defect either. Ever have a stone hit your windshield only to see the crack develop later?

That's not poor customer service. It's apple doing their job. As a shareholder I'm glad they didn't replace your device when you broke it. I tire of reading of ppl trying to take advantage of a company's good will and return policies.

You have a few options, pay the $200 to get it replaced by apple, use a 3rd party repair location, try a diy solution, or sell it on ebay and buy a replacement.

...and put your next one in a case; it might save you another $200.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

His tone may have been absurd or something, but he gave you accurate advice. You freaking dropped your phone. Not apples fault.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

So you're pissed because you believe Apple should be responsible for your carelessness? Sounds like misdirected frustration to me--its up to you to take care of your possessions. That first rep sounded quite reasonable actually and offered you several realistic options.

Accidents happen. Just get a new phone or get that one repaired--its really one of life's little losses.

6. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Just sad

It's so very sad to see how so many people now-a-days want to blame everyone but themselves for their faults. Apple's customer service is rated as the highest among computer manufacturers (read Consumer Reports). I suppose with how lenient Apple is with replacing their devices this utter selfishness should be expected, since the leniency fomented it. This reminds me of that old cliche "give a mouse a cookie, it'll want a glass of milk."

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm guessing none of your prior calls involved warranty service on a Apple product that had been physically damaged? :eek:

They gave you good advice. Their warranty doesn't cover physical damage, however your home owners insurance (or credit card) might.

8. esaleris macrumors 6502

That's actually a comprehensive list of good ideas for dealing with the situation...

9. wbennett01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess no one else has ever dropped their iphone.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If they have they sure as hell didnt expect apple to pay for it.

11. Chef-Jer macrumors member

+1

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No-one has said that. I have dropped phones. And if they got broken by that I bought new ones: it is not up to the manufacturer to cover the end-users stupidity or clumsiness.

You have mistaken not getting your own way for poor customer service. I think it's time to grow up and take responsibility for your own actions.

13. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about the broken iPhone, but Apple doesn't fix accidental damages.

Also, about a year ago my windshield was hit by a rock while I was driving on a highway. Once, I got to work, I checked it out and no damages. Great!

At the end of the day, I check again and there's a crack. Lame.

Just because your iPhone didn't show signs of damaged when it dropped. I doesn't mean it wasn't damaged. 4 feet is pretty high to drop something with glass in it.

I'd start looking into the suggestions the 1st customer service rep mentioned.

14. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

o....m....g....

Right now, I'm pissed at apple cuz they made an iphone and sold it to him which he dropped and cant get replaced cuz its his fault and he came on macrumors to make a post and waste 2 min of my life which I'll never get back...

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Do you ever get any of the time back you spend on Macrumors?

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Guess you'll buy a case next time.

Also, just because you got LUCKY with your first gen and the glass didn't break, doesn't mean that the glass breaks easier on the 3G. If the iPhone is dropped just right (from any height) you can get the screen to crack... that's it.

I choose to have mine without a case and if I drop it and it breaks, that's the risk I'm willing to take. I never had a case on my iPod touch and I've never dropped it. Never had a case on my first gen and I dropped it ONCE on the bathroom floor... no damage and I plan on having no case on my 3G and I plan on NOT dropping it. I'm not careless with my iPhones.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well you can appeal to the mods for your time back, but theres alot of forms. Plus if they break the rules of physics/reality for one person, soon EVERYONES gonna be asking them to.:p

18. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I'm clumsy and I've dropped my iphone several times, usually breaking its fall with my foot (lifeskill from soccer). I don't put my phone in a protective case because I don't like the bulk. Those reasons are part of the reason I purchased my iphones and apple care with American Express card and their protection service, in effect giving me a 4 year warranty and providing protection in case my own negligence breaks the screen.

19. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iPhone. The glass around the Home button is chipped, some of the plastic buttons are dinged, and so are some spots in the aluminum. But it's my fault that the cosmetic damage is there because I dropped it, and I sure as hell don't expect Apple to take care of that.

20. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, you're mad at the second rep, who wasted your time and gave you false hope...right? Because I can't imagine why you'd be mad at the first guy, who gave you great advice that was 100% accurate...

21. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Is this a level? You dropped your phone.

I've dropped my phone plenty of times (actually, my previous phone, a blackberry). It ended up barely working and beat up to hell, but I sure as hell didn't blame RIM.

You admit you dropped it from 4 feet, then that the glass cracked, then expect Apple to replace it or repair it? For what it's worth, every suggestion he gave you is valid, and I suggest you try them. The glass isn't defective mate.

Unbelievable!

22. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Thread failed.
    What do you expect? You dropped the phone.

Change the title of your thread because it really isn't accurate.

23. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Good grief. You screwed up. Man up and own your mistake.

24. ec51 macrumors 6502

You broke your phone. You were expecting too much from Apple. The first customer service rep tried to help you, he gave you like three different ideas of alternatives. You cant expect a company to provide replacement phones when people are dropping them. Go to SqaureTrade and purchase accidental insurance next time.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to determine that this is the "Worst Apple Customer Service I Have Ever Had?" I have determined that this is the "Worst MacRumors Thread I've Ever SEEN!" I tried Negative Stars, but that didn't happen...:eek: