Worst Apple Experience. Apple scratched my brand new RMBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Dec 6, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hey everyone please take the time to read the entire thing and reply :)v,
    So I have the retina macbook pro 13inch which is 2 months old. I was so excited with the computer and now i hate it and wish i had never spent 1600$ on it.
    Here is my story
    Recently my case started creaking and the hinge started creaking whenever i would try closing the lid and whenever i would lift the machine after reading several forums apparently they were the screws and it was a very common problem. So in the country where I live apple only exists through resellers and there are no genius bars just authorized service center. I went to one service center 5 times.
    First time they reseated the bottom case but the problem didn't go away
    the second time they again removed the screws and fixed it again, still the noise persisted.
    The Third time they told me that they would remove the display and reassemble it, i was scared and very reluctant so I spoke to the apple care which assured me it was fine to give it to that center. So they re fixed the entire display assembly and inspite of that the noise still persists and the worse part is that they scratch my screen(the scratch can only be seen when the computer is switched off and when in bright sunlight or if i use flash on it) and the service center says that the machine is fine and they couldn't reproduce any noise but i can still reproduce those noises. The people at the service center were very mean and rude .Im so dissapointed and feel so helpless that as a customer i can't do anything i spoke to apple care and they said i have two options one is to send it back to the country where i purchased it from and the second is they are ready to change the casing of the computer which again after such a terrified experience i don't want to give the computer to anyone and on top of that the screen and computer is fine no ghosting or burn in issue and i have read that many a times the replacement screen can have new set of problems so what shall I do, the computer is fine so should i live with the noise or take the risk again of giving it to these guys who aren't even apple just authorized by apple and they might end up destroying the entire machine and Apple Care is the worst its not helpful at all. I feel so bad that my brand new computer feels like some second hand **** after all of this and i have had THE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH APPLE i will surely never buy any of its products. One more thing i feel like the display is less bright compared and its got a cooler tint compared to before Im not sure its either my eyes playing a trick or something is definitely wrong but they didn't change the display they just refixed it so could have they ruined it or am I being OCD about it?
    Please guys, I can't even tell you how much your help would mean cause I'm in really difficult situation and i need guidance what shall I do, I so wish I hadn't purchased this device. And Apple in my country sucks and aren't helpful at all.

Thanks for listening

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

I kind of think along the same lines. OP, it sounds like you have a bit of OCD and are wanting them to fix a problem that really may not be an issue. Sadly hings will creak a little and if the system is working then I'm not sure why you are lamenting over it. You also say they scratched your screen but can only see it if you are really looking for it? Sounds more like OCD to be honest.

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I would call apple and see if there's anything they will do, like doing a mail replacement. I'm not sure where you are at and if that is feasible, but if possible it's what I would do.

In countries like here in mexico for example, there are no apple stores and the authorized repair centers are horrible. None of the us businesses, like home depot, best buy, office depot, etc. actually follow the warranties like they do in the us. I have had bad experiences with best buy, home depot to name 2. The problem is the people running it have the mindset to fight any problems like the mexican businesses.

5. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks i guess ill do that the same as i don't have an option
    it is an issue i have a video of the computer making the noise but the service center people are very harsh and think they know it all. They said that the retina has a gorilla glass coating so it couldn't even be scratched, they are that stupid.even i thought i was being OCD about it but i was completely put off by the fact that they scratched it and on top of that they were throwing attitude and they even said that they might have scratched it but as long as its not visible unless you look for it and when the screen is on you can't see it so they were like they won't do anything about it even though it was their fault. I was so put off with this and about the noise i agree it can make the noise some times but its like i let them reassemble my display and instead of fixing the problem they ended up scratching the screen so its like all of this was for nothing.

I reside in India where there is no apple and the service is exactly as to what you describe in Mexico. Apple Care told me that they won't replace the machine as it is working fine and no major parts have been replaced and they said if i wanted more i would have to take it to the country where i physically bought it which is not a practical solution for me

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

I would certainly get in touch with Apple if the display was scratched. I hope they get things resolved for you.

7. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I don't want to be harsh, but I've seen your different posts here and to me it looks like you are really OCD. You are looking at faults on your machine which to me does not exists (ie. battery not to par to your expectations, and now your macbook screen having a scratch). Granted, that you are one of the unlucky few who have bought a lemon (it does happen since MacBooks are massed produced), I would suggest to talk to Apple again and ask for an exchange or if you are not satisfied with it, maybe a refund. Apple Care is known for their good customer service.

8. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i understand what you mean and turns out my battery didn't have a problem but there was some file on the computer which was causing issues which the service center deleted. as i mentioned that apple care refused to help me and said that i must speak to the apple care from the country where i purchased the machine. Shall i get the screen changed and the bottom case or again that would be like hitting a lucky draw considering the amount of defective screens rotating anyway The scratch ill probably live with it and its just the creaking that bother me but i guess its my fault i was too obsessed with my country that i tried taking so much care of it that everything went completely south. Thank you for your time and guidance.

9. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i understand what you mean and turns out my battery didn't have a problem but there was some file on the computer which was causing issues which the service center deleted. as i mentioned that apple care refused to help me and said that i must speak to the apple care from the country where i purchased the machine. Shall i get the screen changed and the bottom case or again that would be like hitting a lucky draw considering the amount of defective screens rotating anyway The scratch ill probably live with it and its just the creaking that bother me but i guess its my fault i was too obsessed with my country that i tried taking so much care of it that everything went completely south. Thank you for your time and guidance.

10. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

So what if the OP has a little OCD going on. If Apple scratched the screen, they should fix it!

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

Because he is also complaining about the hinges still as well. If he has OCD, I doubt that he will be happy with anything that is done. Sadly this sounds like the case.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Sorry but if you spend a lot of money on something you expect it to be right. It's fine to have some OCD about it.

13. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

I find myself thinking sites like this are a goldmine for psych majors looking for thesis paper materials.

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yes, to some extent. However, when we become so obsessed that we are taking flashlights to our screens to see if I can find a scratch that isn't noticeable under normal conditions, that is a problem. I spend a lot of money on things all the time and don't obsess over it.

----------

You wouldn't be that far off! ;)

15. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Except its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things; its not buying you hand crafted museum quality perfection. Its buying you a laptop to use as a working tool.

Leaving yourself without a machine umpteen times to address teeny near imperceptible faults that have no impact on you using it is just self defeating. Particularly if you're running the risk of some other cosmetic blemish occuring because you keep taking it in to get looked at.

I'm surprised they don't just bring out the Mac Book connoisseur collection. Hand assembled machines that get sat on a 0.01mm tolerance stainless steel jig and given the once-over by some whispy haired old guy armed with a stethoscope a blacklight and a jewellers loupe.

And charge accordingly.

16. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

If I were you, is there any other authorized service centre aside from the one you went to in your area? If so, try to go to them, probably they'll be more customer friendly... Also if it bothers you so much, I would bite the bullet and follow what the apple care service rep told you - to contact the apple care service where you bought your laptop; they will probably ask you to ship it to them - or they'll probably let you order another machine online and you ship that defective one back. etc...

Just a little bit of a hint here (as I used to work as a tech support agent) - don't be confrontational with the customer agent - they'll be more willing to go out of their way to help you ... :)

17. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Shipping the machine won't be possible and there's no guarantee that Apple will replace the machine as the person at the Indian Apple care told me that Apple only replaces the machine if some major parts are changed and after that also if the issue persists for atleast 3 times. I could go to another service center but after this incident I don't trust these guys and again what if they change my screen and I end up with a yellow tint or a burn issue or something like that? Moral or the story I'm not going to buy anything related to Apple atleast until I reside in a country where it doesn't exist. People are right it's probably hard luck and I do feel bad but at the same time I'm fed up instead of using my computer for the purpose I bought it, I have been acting crazy. Sorry guys to bother you'll and again thank you so much for replying.

You're right I probably just will have to live with the machine being imperfect. I have had if for two months and have barely even used it, it's gone to the service center so many times that now I'm fed up.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two things,
    First that wall of text makes it difficult to read your post.

Secondly if you're that unhappy with your experience with apple, perhaps you should consider selling it and buying a computer model that better fits your expectations.

I agree with the other posters about using and enjoying the computer and don't sweat the small stuff.

19. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i did try selling it i got an offer of 1000$ compared to the 1600$ i paid for it anyway I'm using it as i have no option. just one thing i want to ask my case creaks inspite of the screws and the bottom case being re seated so idk what the problem is, will that be much of a problem hardware wise and the hairline scratch on my screen will it grow by the fact that they resembled the screen and could have damaged it as it feels less bright? Thanks maflynn , i see you always take your time to comment on every post, i really appreciate it :)

20. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple has offered to replace my screen, shall I go for it?
    But I'm scared at the same time that what if I end up with a display that has a yellow tint or burn issue? Is there anyway of knowing what display I should ask for? Which one is the faulty one the LG or Samsung and will they be able to provide me with the details before replacing the screen

21. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

If I were you, I'd go for it. Stop worrying for something that has not yet happened :). If by any chance, the screen replacement have that tinting/burn issue - you can always call them back and inform them (yes, I know it'll be a hassle to you...but unless they'll do the replacement first, you'll not get anywhere with your problem :) ).

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like that you may have been better served at selling it for 1,000 just for the fact of peace of mind. Clearly, you're really unhappy with it, and it will continue to bother you as you use it.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

You sound a bit neurotic.
    I've lived in India and you must be climbing the walls there. :D

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Having lived many years outside of Apple`s traditional coverage, it`s real simple leave things be if they are very minor, authorised shops often don't meet the same levels of service as Apple.

In this case your OCD has got the better of you; it`s a mass produced computer, a tool and not something to be deified, nor will it remain perfect with use over several years. If you can live with the scratch i.e not visible under normal use, then leave it be, if it`s an issue have the shop replace the screen (whole top case) yes there is risk, equally there is also one when you cross the road ;)

Q-6

25. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

That's true but this time I didn't even ask for it, I was surprised to get a call from the apple care where the representative asked me if I wanted to change the screen and bottom case of the computer, I even told him that people at times end up with defective screens but he told me all these parts are shipped form Singapore so nothing would definitely go wrong but again at the same time considering my last experience I'm scared giving my computer to them. I know the scratch isn't visible and the noise is annoying but I know everytime I'll look at my computer I'll look at it as if it's defective it's probably just my OCD getting to me. I know some other person would just use it normally. Apple called me themselves and asked if I wanted to get the screen replaced so that got me thinking. Have any of youll gone through screen replacements and what do you suggest?