Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Currently, I'm at 30% battery with 3 hours and 23 minutes of usage.

Brightness is on auto-brightness.
Wi-Fi is off
Bluetooth is off
Silent mode (no sounds)
iCloud contacts on, everything else off
Email set to fetch every 30 minutes on one gmail account

All I've done is text and light web browsing (reading articles). No video, no audio, no phone calls, nothing. This is pathetic.

Maps are terrible. Excel spreadsheets aren't displaying properly. This is the worst version of iOS to date. But hey, at least now I can put a song as my alarm clock!

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Bummer. Let us know how things go after you switch to Windows or Android. Lots of choices out there.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

Wi-Fi is off
Bluetooth is off
Silent mode (no sounds)

All I've done is text and light web browsing (reading articles). No video, no audio, no phone calls, nothing. This is pathetic.

Maps are terrible. Excel spreadsheets aren't displaying properly. This is the worst version of iOS to date. But hey, at least now I can put a song as my alarm clock!

May need to get it checked out.

yesterday, 100% when I got to work. It was on battery power all day, streaming music, wifi, LTE, nothing disabled that isn't disabled by default and I was still at 40% when I got home 11 hours later.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

Wi-Fi is off
Bluetooth is off
Silent mode (no sounds)

Terrible battery life, on my iPhone 4, 4S and 5.
There is definitely some serious bugs with iOS 6. (of course, fanboys will post screenshots claiming 10hr usage when in reality all they did was listen to music for 10 hours)

----------

Bummer. Let us know how things go after you switch to Windows or Android. Lots of choices out there.

So you are telling him to leave the platform just because he is experiencing issues with the OS thanks to apple?
Fanboy logic at its finest :rolleyes:

clewis05

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Working on 6 hours on my 5 with heavy use today I find it better but could just be luck on my side although my mom and sister are having great battery life on there 4 and 4s

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I initially did just an update, but after seeing my battery life plummet, I did a restore, which seems to have fixed the problem.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
For some reason some people always have issues with bad battery life after an iOS upgrade and assume everyone is having issues. Threads pop up with every release.

I've been using my 4S for 12 hours, web browsing (9 hours), listening to podcasts (2 hours) and playing a game and I just hit 10%. Just for the sake of argument we'll say that I only used it for 10, that's still pretty good. I have been on wifi all day though.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
For some reason some people always have issues with bad battery life after an iOS upgrade and assume everyone is having issues. Threads pop up with every release.

I've been using my 4S for 12 hours, web browsing (9 hours), listening to podcasts (2 hours) and playing a game and I just hit 10%. Just for the sake of argument we'll say that I only used it for 10, that's still pretty good. I have been on wifi all day though.

If I have over 5 devices experiencing battery issues even after clean installs, why is it wrong for me to assume that most people would have the same issue?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Geez. That was seriously a jerk comment.
Probably an overreaction, sorry about that. But all I could see was complaining from the OP about his battery life, with a bunch of vitriol about the new OS thrown in. Sounded to me like he's fed up with the platform.

QuarterSwede was more diplomatic, thank you.

Things that kill my battery life:

- Long long wifi sync. Gigs of music loading back into the iPhone after a restore or new OS.

- I can't stop poking at it because it's a new OS.

- There's a problem. If the phone has been in your pocket for 10 minutes but feels hot, maybe there's a runaway process and you should try a) rebooting; b) backup/restore; c) take it in for genius help.

Better?

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Probably an overreaction, sorry about that. But all I could see was complaining from the OP about his battery life, with a bunch of vitriol about the new OS thrown in. Sounded to me like he's fed up with the platform.

QuarterSwede was more diplomatic, thank you.

Things that kill my battery life:

- Long long wifi sync. Gigs of music loading back into the iPhone after a restore or new OS.

- I can't stop poking at it because it's a new OS.

- There's a problem. If the phone has been in your pocket for 10 minutes but feels hot, maybe there's a runaway process and you should try a) rebooting; b) backup/restore; c) take it in for genius help.

Better?

My phone doesn't get hot, only when I updated the software. I didn't sync anything, fresh install without anything transferred. Nothing running in the background, I manually close most apps after using them.

Update I'm at 12% with 4 hours and 18 minutes of usage.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
My phone doesn't get hot, only when I updated the software. I didn't sync anything, fresh install without anything transferred. Nothing running in the background, I manually close most apps after using them.

feels like apple wants to take our phone battery to a whole new level. (android level. :mad:)

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010

What kind of iPhone is it? How old? That looks like close to half of Apple's specs which is the threshold for warranty replacement. If you're under warranty, perhaps you can get a new battery.

Apple doesn't show us how many battery cycles our iPhones have been through, but an Apple genius can probably access that information and tell you if it's wearing out unusually quickly.

Finally, I'll wager that if you run a systematic test where one week you never manually close your apps when you're done with them, and the next week you always do, I bet you won't see an appreciable battery difference.

----------

So you are trying to brush this off as a 'non-issue' even though there's an overwhelmingly large number of reports of horrible battery life on this forum?

I ran iOS6 on my iPhone 4S for a week before upgrading to a 5. And I didn't experience any battery issues, so I didn't go on any forums to complain. People who are having an unpleasant experience are more likely to go online for help than the millions of people who seem to get by okay. It seems to me a measure of the volume of complaints on any given day has to take that into account.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
The phone is an iPhone 4S. I bought it in October of last year. I almost always close apps after using them.

HikariYuki

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
The phone is an iPhone 4S. I bought it in October of last year. I almost always close apps after using them.

Who's your mobile provider and do you have a good signal say 4 bars or so. I know battery life is impacted when you have low signal.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010

If you didn't buy an extended warranty then you have a few weeks to get it looked into before your warranty is up. I have had to get iPhone batteries replaced in the past. They don't make it that hard. Make an appointment, be nice, take a screenshot of your 8% after 5 hours of use and see what they can do for you.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
hmm... i just took a look at my 4S on ios6, and i'm at 3:20 usage (coincidence??) and 8hr standby. i'm at 43%, and i have 3g/wifi/bluetooth all on. was streaming bluetooth in the car for about 1/2 hr, had a 1/2 hr call, and was otherwise surfing the net. i guess that pegs my battery at... average? its not insanely great, but not awful either.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Updated my wife's 4S last night, and I've actually seen a bit of an improvement. Not much mind you, but the standby time seems to have been increased from what I can tell. Only a day, but it's definitely not as bad as the OP's phone.

I should point out that her phone is in Do Not Disturb mode for the majority of the night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.