Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
We have different views on dating etiquette (being polite, respectful, considerate) apparently and I hope you don't do this to women you date

Please, don't turn the situation on me or suggest that I might do this to women I date. I am all for being polite, etc. She did what she did for whatever reason. If you want to judge her that is fine, but with only your side of the story I am not willing to judge her actions as she may have had good reasons.

And for your information I am engaged.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have two stories and both of them are 100% truth. Every time there's an "awkward dating moments" contest among my friends, I always win with these gems.

1) I picked up this girl from a city about an hour from where I live. I pick her up, drive back to my place to meet up with some people, have a good time and everything is fine. At the start of the trip back to her place -- and I mean right at the start of the trip -- she gets a phone call. All I hear is:

"Oh hey!...What?....Really?...oh...."

I ask her if everything is all right.

"My best friend's mom just died."

Silence for the next hour as I take her home. She gets out of the car when I get there and runs to the door crying.

That would be awkward. Was it genuine?

2) Different girl, about a year later. I pick her up and take her out. Almost all my planned activities fell through because it was right around the 4th of July and stores had closed up early for it. We ended up just going to the park and talking for a while. The date turned out good because we really got on. At the end of it I said I felt bad that everything fell through and I would like to take her out before I left the country for some church service. She said that would be great and we arranged a time to go to a local amusement park.

That day arrives and I give her a call to work out logistics. She answers the phone crying.

"I can't go...*sniff*...anymore."

"Why? What's up?"

"My mom died this morning of cancer."

I hear all of her extended family in the background talking, so she wasn't lying. I did my best to console her, hung up, and left the country the next day.

So what is this? Does God have some kind of odd sense of humor where he makes me be part of a mother's death during a date on TWO SEPARATE occasions? Bad luck.

P-Worm

Yea, really. What are the odds?

That’s what I was saying. I couldn’t just say “I’m not attracted to you” and end the date.

For example, one time I emailed a girl after a date and told her I had decided to only see another girl I was dating, blah blah. I was as nice as I could be about it. The email I got back was anything but nice.

Ok fine. Have you told anyone you would be right back with the intent of not coming back?

I understand some people don't like confrontations but really, there are many other excuses of that nature that would have been more considerate then making me wait like a fool.

Please, don't turn the situation on me or suggest that I might do this to women I date. I am all for being polite, etc. She did what she did for whatever reason. If you want to judge her that is fine, but with only your side of the story I am not willing to judge her actions as she may have had good reasons.
Fair enough. I just have a hard time seeing a scenario where this is acceptable as she could have said any number of fake excuses that don't require one to wait up for her.....especially seeing as I was her ride there at the time

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I don't know that I would call someone childish for not being truthful. That is just me though. Sure, it was insensitive, but not childish.

Maybe she sensed something a little off and wanted to get out of there and that is what she came up with?

If you feel like a date is going badly, and you want to remove yourself from it, I don't think that's childish; but she could have owned up to what she was doing, rather than just lie, leave him waiting there, and sneak away with no other contact (until he texted her).

Like I said, the grown-up thing to do would be for her to just say she needs to leave - no explanation necessary.

I have two stories and both of them are 100% truth. Every time there's an "awkward dating moments" contest among my friends, I always win with these gems.

Dude, remind me never to let you date anybody I know. :eek::eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.