Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Worst iPod Ever Made

• iPod 1st Gen (Scroll Wheel)

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • iPod 1st Gen (Touch Wheel)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • iPod Mini

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • iPod (Click Wheel)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • iPod U2 Edition

Votes: 27 6.6%
  • iPod Photo

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • iPod Shuffle

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • iPod (Color Display)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • iPod U2 Edition (Color Display)

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • iPod 5th Gen

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • iPod 5th Gen U2 Edition

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPod Nano 2nd Gen

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • iPod 5th Gen (late 06')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPod 5th Gen U2 Edition (late 06')

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • iPod Nano 3rd Gen

Votes: 46 11.2%
  • iPod Classic (80gb/160gb)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • iPod touch

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • iPod touch 2nd Gen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • iPod touch 3rd Gen (32gb/64gb)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • iPod Nano 4th Gen

• iPod Classic (120gb)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen

Votes: 127 31.0%
  • iPod Nano 5th Gen

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • iPod Classic (160gb)

• Total voters

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
It was the first iPod I owned, back when the engraving on the back was brand new. Mine said "Property of <my name>" then I let my friend borrow it for a day, and someone in his class used a regular eraser on the engraving and completely destroyed it.

I was devastated

Sorry to hear that :( Horrible story.

Personally, I don't know which was the worst because I've only ever used the 4th Gen Nano and the 2nd Gen Shuffle, which I both love. I was too young and stupid to notice the iPods and stuff coming out; now I don't miss anything that happens in the tech space :p

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My favorites:
3rd gen iPod Shuffle (I like the form factor)
4th gen iPod nano (I didn't care for the camera or gloss coating in the 5th gen model)
7th gen iPod Classic (I like the large capacity and thats its thinner than its previous 160gb model)

Least Favorite:
iPod touch (all models, I hate the tin metal/stainless steel casing and the touch screen is not practical wile at the gym)
1st gen iPod nano (scratches way to easy, I hated the tin metal casing)
iPod Video U2 Edition (bad color choices)

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Not sure whats the worst...but 5th gen Nano has to be the best of the Nanos. Can't believe some people voted for it. The thing that would make it perfect was if it had wifi capabilities.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Not sure whats the worst...but 5th gen Nano has to be the best of the Nanos. Can't believe some people voted for it. The thing that would make it perfect was if it had wifi capabilities.

I would have to agree with you there. The fifth generation nano is absolutely beautiful. Personally I think the least favourite of mine are any of the 4th generation iPod classics. Always had HD problems.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I said U2 Edition. I think Apple whoring out to certain groups is tasteless.
It's not like they're some divisive political group.

Wait, it's U2 so some people get their panties in a wad about them being "political". :rolleyes:
"the iPod that was for people who couldn't afford a real one."
Your materialistic elitism is showing.
It was just a 4th gen click wheel with HP branding, it was exactly the same as the one Apple sold.

hpipod.jpg
It should still be an option on the list.
Least Favorite:
iPod touch (all models, I hate the tin metal/stainless steel casing and the touch screen is not practical wile at the gym)
The metal casing is the same style as every iPod until the mini, and continuing with the classic. And the touch isn't really for the gym. I really appreciate being able to search for particular songs and such with an actual keyboard.

dragonq

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
I too am surprised that the 3rd generation Nano is faring so poorly. I bought one soon after release and have used it constantly. It plays nicely, the battery still goes forever after three years heavy usage, and it has all the features that most people are ever going to need in an iPod. I know a lot of people didn't care for the squat shape, and the muted colours, but in day to day real life usage I have to say that the shape fits perfectly in the hand or pocket and in my opinion is much more ergonomic than the long skinny shape that followed. My daughter has a 5th generation Nano, and I find it less compact and comfortable to carry around, and the sharp edges on the ends are positively unpleasant when compared to the soft curved edges on my 3g. I do think Apple could have offered more colour choices in the 3rd generation Nano (though I quite like my green one), but that's not the be all and end all of whether something is a good product.

I wonder if the people who voted against the 3G actually owned one, or were just put off by the shape and colours?

In contrast, we were given a 3G shuffle when we bought a computer, and I think it's terrible. Most impractical thing Apple ever produced. Also, my first iPod was a third generation (with the buttons at the top) and while I loved it at the time, and still use it in a sound dock, it had major limitations, not least with the exceedingly poor batteries.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I dunno, I personally think the Mini is the best ipod made ever. Sound quality that I found to be better than the average iPod(but still not up there with the competition), Rockbox support, and up to 32gb+ of space once you swap out the micrdrive for a cf card. Plus, it is pretty compact and with an after market battery it improves thing.s

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
i got my touch sent to china to be hacked so it could hold 800gb. yes 800! so i sent it away and it came back made of plastic.

Jawwwwsh

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
i got my touch sent to china to be hacked so it could hold 800gb. yes 800! so i sent it away and it came back made of plastic.

Seriously? someone in china told you they could make it 800Gb and you thought "oh yes, thats probably not a scam".

By any chance have you recently been contacted by a nigerian banker unable to get money from an account somewhere, and has promised you 20% of the cash if you do it for him? If so, please don't do it! :p

On topic, my 1st gen iPod Video 30G has been the best iPod I ever owned, had it from release day and it has just been amazing. about 4 months ago my bloody sister dropped it and the headphone jack broke so it is now a dock only iPod (unless anyone here knows how to fix that??)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Original Shuffle, yucky design in my opinion.

Why the hell did people vote for the original scroll wheel iPod as the worst one ever? It's darn sexy.

I totally agree about the scroll wheel. Had one myself and it was great! A lot of people complained about grit and sand getting in the wheel and causing problems, though.

The original shuffle was crappy, but the latest shuffle is crap. I voted the latest shuffle as the worst ever, and it truly is. Great, compact form, nice function over all, but lack of buttons and those sick headphones that stop from sweat-complete fail.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
My favourites were the original iPod and iPod Touch 1G (because it had the multitouch display and the iPhone wasn't available anywhere other than the USA).

My least favourites are the iPod Shuffle 3G and the iPod 4G.

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
The original iPod Touch was the worst iPod.

For not having a speaker, and no physical volume buttons. That was a dealbreaker for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.