Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
The following is based on assumptions, and assuming people want to sell their X.

I just got to thinking. If the price of the new replacement X is going to be $100 (or 200) cheaper, and Apple is discontinuing the product, won't a used iPhone X have the worst resale value on the open market for an iPhone ever (after the first year)? I'm wondering if the 6.1" LCD model will cannibalize sales for those who are debating between a 2017 X and other options.

Also keep in mind we got the X mid-November. It's been less than 10 months, and after the new phones are announced people will be lucky to sell their used X's for anything more than half of what they paid for it.

Reactions: jenag145

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPhone X buyers are early adopters of new technology and I think most of them aren't concerned about resale value.

From Apple's perspective, it make sense to capture the mass number of iPhone 6 and 6s users and convert them to 6.1" buyers. This generates more revenue than converting the leading edge iPhone 7 users into iPhone 8 and X.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
That’s perhaps a realistic estimation of the potential situation.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people buy things that they never intend to keep. I don’t buy anything that I don’t expect to meet my needs and desires for several years.

If I don’t expect to get 5 to 10 years of use out of a phone or computer, then I don’t invest my money in it.

My realistic perspective is that I expect most things I buy will be in use for the rest of my life unless the product either malfunctions, breaks, or somehow becomes inoperable.

If a product doesn’t meet that expectation when I consider buying it, then I don’t purchase it.

Sometimes products do unexpectedly become necessary to replace. And, sometimes life circumstances change. But I never buy anything that I am expecting to replace.

Buying anything with short term expectations will always lead to either dissatisfaction or financial loss (or both).

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That’s perhaps a realistic estimation of the potential situation.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people buy things that they never intend to keep. I don’t buy anything that I don’t expect to meet my needs and desires for several years.

If I don’t expect to get 5 to 10 years of use out of a phone or computer, then I don’t invest my money in it.

My realistic perspective is that I expect most things I buy will be in use for the rest of my life unless the product either malfunctions, breaks, or somehow becomes inoperable.

If a product doesn’t meet that expectation when I consider buying it, then I don’t purchase it.

Sometimes products do unexpectedly become necessary to replace. And, sometimes life circumstances change. But I never buy anything that I am expecting to replace.

Buying anything with short term expectations will always lead to either dissatisfaction or financial loss (or both).

Now I’m curious what phone you’re currently using. Ten years? Are you still using the original iPhone??

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I don't this this is that relevant to this particular discussion. I sold my X last month for 85% of the retail price, so it definitely HAD good resale value. But that is well before the newer versions are available (one of the articles you referenced was published in July).
[doublepost=1536182269][/doublepost]

That's surprising. Computers can last 5-10 years, but the cell phones industry experienced such a drastic shift in technology that 2-3 years feels like a 5-10 years in any other technological industry. Most people are always looking for the latest and greatest, so there is a large group of consumers that absolutely buy a new technological product and will look to replace it when a better version is released (which is usually annually).
[doublepost=1536182403][/doublepost]
iPhone X buyers are early adopters of new technology and I think most of them aren't concerned about resale value.

From Apple's perspective, it make sense to capture the mass number of iPhone 6 and 6s users and convert them to 6.1" buyers. This generates more revenue than converting the leading edge iPhone 7 users into iPhone 8 and X.
I had always been expecting to sell the phone, as i knew last year i wanted to larger size; so i was always concerned about resale value. It's why i sold my phone almost a month ago, to maximize the money i get back to reduce the cost of the XS+. That is true, I am actually somewhat shocked at the number of iPhone 6 and 6s's i see around; they are definitely more common than the newer iphones.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don't this this is that relevant to this particular discussion. I sold my X last month for 85% of the retail price, so it definitely HAD good resale value. But that is well before the newer versions are available (one of the articles you referenced was published in July).
Those were the first three that came up on a search.. Even after the new X comes out, you’ll still be able to get $600+ for the first X. Plenty will want it because the new one won’t be vastly different and it will cost hundreds less to get one. Considering it will cost around the same or less than the new 6.1 lcd iPhone for a used X, which would you rather have?

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Those were the first three that came up on a search.. Even after the new X comes out, you’ll still be able to get $600+ for the first X. Plenty will want it because the new one won’t be vastly different and it will cost hundreds less to get one. Considering it will cost around the same or less than the new 6.1 lcd iPhone, which would you rather have?
Another factor though is that soon (November) the X will be a year old, out of warranty, with a huge repair bill if something goes wrong. $600 is still a 40%+ drop in value in 10 months which isn't great. There's also a lot of risks buying used phones, especially when they are out of warranty.

Also, there may be a huge number of X's hitting the secondary market. Supply and demand would dictate that people won't be optimizing their return by selling in the next few weeks.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I had always been expecting to sell the phone, as i knew last year i wanted to larger size; so i was always concerned about resale value. It's why i sold my phone almost a month ago, to maximize the money i get back to reduce the cost of the XS+. That is true, I am actually somewhat shocked at the number of iPhone 6 and 6s's i see around; they are definitely more common than the newer iphones.

There's a probably huge swath of iPhone 6 and 6s family of users still remaining. Even if every iPhone 7 user converted to iPhone 8 or X, there's a large pool of old phone users.

In terms of resale value, I think Apple could limit the damage by not offering refurbished iPhone X for sale. However, I suspect 5.8" is on its way out for 2019 with new premium models starting at 6.1".

6.1" LCD
6.1" OLED
6.5" OLED

Newzoo_iPhone_Device_Usage_Per_Model.png

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Another factor though is that soon (November) the X will be a year old, out of warranty, with a huge repair bill if something goes wrong. $600 is still a 40%+ drop in value in 10 months which isn't great. There's also a lot of risks buying used phones, especially when they are out of warranty.

Also, there may be a huge number of X's hitting the secondary market. Supply and demand would dictate that people won't be optimizing their return by selling in the next few weeks.
Repair costs are definitely a big factor if you don’t have something like Squaretrade or AppleCare+... I usually upgrade every two years but, it seems now that phones are getting so good it’s easy to stretch how long you keep a phone. My backup 6S is still a great phone..

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't buy Apple products worrying about later resell value. Apple products are not an investment.

Buy the product you want and can afford. If resale value is a priority for you, maybe you should consider buying second-hand, buying a model outright where money isn't a concern, or possibly buying some other manufacturer.

This yearly concern by many on this forum about resale value, reeks of people buying beyond their means, to try and keep up with superficial and fleeting wants.

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
If you are buying a tech product with resale value as a point of major importance, you’ll come out behind forever.

Buy what you want/can and what is best for your personal use case. When it no longer fits your utility, move on.

Reactions: 26139

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In The smart phone resale era, the iPhone still is paramount when it comes to having the _best_ resale value over any other smart phone on the market.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

I take it you didnt buy an X and dont understand the mass majority that purchased their phone over the last year and want to sell it for a new phone.
SOOO yes most ARE concerned that have purchased the phone and plan on selling them outright. I dont trade in phones I sell them because I make more money. Yes a lot of people lease phones but still in order to upgrade this year they have to pay one more month of payment and if they want to sell outright they need to purchase their phone unless they love their 60$ a month bill for it.
Im hoping apple discontinues the X so it doesn't hurt the people that bought this phone as much. Hopefully third party's run out of supply right away also because you'll know they will discount the x when the new phones come out by a lot.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I buy my phones as they are something I want, use, and enjoy. If cost and potential resale value were that important, I wouldn't buy it.

Selling my phone and using an old "beater" for a month until the new model comes out seems counterproductive. You want the latest and greatest, but you're using an inferior old phone for awhile.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I buy my phones as they are something I want, use, and enjoy. If cost and potential resale value were that important, I wouldn't buy it.

Selling my phone and using an old "beater" for a month until the new model comes out seems counterproductive. You want the latest and greatest, but you're using an inferior old phone for awhile.
you'd still buy it lets be real

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The following is based on assumptions, and assuming people want to sell their X.

I just got to thinking. If the price of the new replacement X is going to be $100 (or 200) cheaper, and Apple is discontinuing the product, won't a used iPhone X have the worst resale value on the open market for an iPhone ever (after the first year)? I'm wondering if the 6.1" LCD model will cannibalize sales for those who are debating between a 2017 X and other options.

Also keep in mind we got the X mid-November. It's been less than 10 months, and after the new phones are announced people will be lucky to sell their used X's for anything more than half of what they paid for it.

I’m with you OP. Resale value IS important. I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Program and will have a balance of $600 once I pay up to the 12 payments, but want to sell my phone for at least $750. Then use that money to pay off the Upgrade Program after receiving the new 6.5” iPhone.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I take it you didnt buy an X and dont understand the mass majority that purchased their phone over the last year and want to sell it for a new phone.
SOOO yes most ARE concerned that have purchased the phone and plan on selling them outright. I dont trade in phones I sell them because I make more money. Yes a lot of people lease phones but still in order to upgrade this year they have to pay one more month of payment and if they want to sell outright they need to purchase their phone unless they love their 60$ a month bill for it.
Im hoping apple discontinues the X so it doesn't hurt the people that bought this phone as much. Hopefully third party's run out of supply right away also because you'll know they will discount the x when the new phones come out by a lot.
I think you’ll find that annual, serial upgraders are actually a vanishingly small minority in comparison to the overwhelming majority of people who buy a phone and keep it until it breaks or their contract ends.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
you'd still buy it lets be real
Not if cost and resale value were that important. If I was worried how much I could recoup by selling, then I must not really be able to afford it and would buy something more in my price/comfortability range.

Maybe try this. Keep the phone for a couple of years and then the cost won't be as big a deal.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I think you’ll find that annual, serial upgraders are actually a vanishingly small minority in comparison to the overwhelming majority of people who buy a phone and keep it until it breaks or their contract ends.
true after they got rid of subsidies. I didnt actually pay for a phone till iPhone 7+. from 3g up every two years it covered the cost of the new subsidy.

Reactions: 26139

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

That is true, but thanks to Annual upgrade Programs that carriers offers, where once you make 12 payments or pay up to a certain $ amount you can trade in towards the latest iPhone and people are taking advantage of it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
That is true, but thanks to Annual upgrade Programs that carriers offers, where once you make 12 payments or pay up to a certain $ amount you can trade in towards the latest iPhone and people are taking advantage of it.
how are they taking advantage of it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.