Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
how are they taking advantage of it

Well they are giving their phones back, to purchase the latests iPhone once they have completed carriers requirements to get a new device. When I stood in line one year at my carrier store, I saw quite people doing that. Its not un-common carriers have made it easier to upgrade.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well they are giving their phones back, to purchase the latests iPhone once they have completed carriers requirements to get a new device. When I stood in line one year at my carrier store, I saw quite people doing that. Its not un-common carriers have made it easier to upgrade.
oh taking advantage of it that way yes

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I take it you didnt buy an X and dont understand the mass majority that purchased their phone over the last year and want to sell it for a new phone.
SOOO yes most ARE concerned that have purchased the phone and plan on selling them outright. I dont trade in phones I sell them because I make more money. Yes a lot of people lease phones but still in order to upgrade this year they have to pay one more month of payment and if they want to sell outright they need to purchase their phone unless they love their 60$ a month bill for it.
Im hoping apple discontinues the X so it doesn't hurt the people that bought this phone as much. Hopefully third party's run out of supply right away also because you'll know they will discount the x when the new phones come out by a lot.

I bought an iPhone X during the launch period. I don't intend to sell it before I buy the 6.5" iPhone this year because I see the iPhone X as a sunk cost.

The "mass majority" of smartphone consumers have an upgrade cycle of 31 months, according to WSJ. And that upgrade cycle is becoming longer each year.

Around the world, most smartphones are purchased without contract and without using an upgrade program.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I don't this this is that relevant to this particular discussion. I sold my X last month for 85% of the retail price, so it definitely HAD good resale value. But that is well before the newer versions are available (one of the articles you referenced was published in July).
[doublepost=1536182269][/doublepost]
That's surprising. Computers can last 5-10 years, but the cell phones industry experienced such a drastic shift in technology that 2-3 years feels like a 5-10 years in any other technological industry. Most people are always looking for the latest and greatest, so there is a large group of consumers that absolutely buy a new technological product and will look to replace it when a better version is released (which is usually annually).
[doublepost=1536182403][/doublepost]
I had always been expecting to sell the phone, as i knew last year i wanted to larger size; so i was always concerned about resale value. It's why i sold my phone almost a month ago, to maximize the money i get back to reduce the cost of the XS+. That is true, I am actually somewhat shocked at the number of iPhone 6 and 6s's i see around; they are definitely more common than the newer iphones.

I think smart phone industry has hit a plateau. Personally, I feel it takes 3+ years and longer now to see any big changes with technology in smartphones. It use to be you see big changes in displays, resolution and features every year between 2007-2014.

We got 5G around the corner, folding displays and so forth. For most people their phones run all the core apps they need. You are right though, there are people who just want the latest, but even the latest today doesn't seem to be as great as it use to be in my opinion.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I bought an iPhone X during the launch period. I don't intend to sell it before I buy the 6.5" iPhone this year because I see the iPhone X as a sunk cost.

The "mass majority" of smartphone consumers have an upgrade cycle of 31 months, according to WSJ. And that upgrade cycle is becoming longer each year.

Around the world, most smartphones are purchased without contract and without using an upgrade program.
It's not really a sunk cost though, you can still realize value from it as is today; it's more so that you have determined the ROA on the X is less than the benefit to you of keeping it as a backup or giving it to a loved one, which is completely reasonable.
[doublepost=1536257559][/doublepost]
I think smart phone industry has hit a plateau. Personally, I feel it takes 3+ years and longer now to see any big changes with technology in smartphones. It use to be you see big changes in displays, resolution and features every year between 2007-2014.

We got 5G around the corner, folding displays and so forth. For most people their phones run all the core apps they need. You are right though, there are people who just want the latest, but even the latest today doesn't seem to be as great as it use to be in my opinion.
It's definitely hit a plateau, and you're right about 5G being the next big wave. Other than that, i'm not interested in folding/flip style phones or even augmented reality. I want a phone that is lighting quick when using the internet or streaming, and i can get reception on the 5th underground level in a parking garage. To be honest, i don't see myself upgrading until 5G comes out, or Apple comes out with a new form factor.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
That’s perhaps a realistic estimation of the potential situation.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people buy things that they never intend to keep. I don’t buy anything that I don’t expect to meet my needs and desires for several years.

If I don’t expect to get 5 to 10 years of use out of a phone or computer, then I don’t invest my money in it.

My realistic perspective is that I expect most things I buy will be in use for the rest of my life unless the product either malfunctions, breaks, or somehow becomes inoperable.

If a product doesn’t meet that expectation when I consider buying it, then I don’t purchase it.

Sometimes products do unexpectedly become necessary to replace. And, sometimes life circumstances change. But I never buy anything that I am expecting to replace.

Buying anything with short term expectations will always lead to either dissatisfaction or financial loss (or both).

So you don't use a smart phone, then?
What year is your laptop?
[doublepost=1536257799][/doublepost]
Everyday someone brings up something else for people to worry about. No wonder some are worn out and OCD.

Apple products or any electronics are never to be considered an investment.

My baby boomer parents spoke of every money spent as an investment, it drove me nuts.
I tried to convince them I wasn't investing in the hardware so much as I was investing in what the hardware allowed me to create/do, but that never registered with them.
I assume a lot of people think like this.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

My baby boomer parents spoke of every money spent as an investment, it drove me nuts.
I tried to convince them I wasn't investing in the hardware so much as I was investing in what the hardware allowed me to create/do, but that never registered with them.

Exactly a smartphone and computer are a tool and at some point you need to replace the tool. That tool can can be replaced in 1 year 2 years or longer. Its not a investment, buying a home is a investment, buying a classic car or a rare car that is hardly driven is a investment.

Reactions: 26139

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Exactly a smartphone and computer are a tool and at some point you need to replace the tool. That tool can can be replaced in 1 year 2 years or longer. Its not a investment, buying a home is a investment, buying a classic car or a rare car that is hardly driven is a investment.

It must have been wild to grow up in an era where anything tangible and non-perishable you spent money on was supposed to gain in value over time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I want a phone that is lighting quick when using the internet or streaming.

The iPhone is easily quick enough to execute those tasks most people when it comes to those two things what you’re referring to. 4G speed’s are more than capable to meet those demands for *most*.

and i can get reception on the 5th underground level in a parking garage.

That’s Call signal interference. _Any_ phone can be obstructed from building structures, especially five levels underground. Not seeing your point here.

Reactions: 26139

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
I don't buy Apple products worrying about later resell value. Apple products are not an investment.

Buy the product you want and can afford. If resale value is a priority for you, maybe you should consider buying second-hand, buying a model outright where money isn't a concern, or possibly buying some other manufacturer.

This yearly concern by many on this forum about resale value, reeks of people buying beyond their means, to try and keep up with superficial and fleeting wants.

Yes, they are tools, nothing more.
I don't buy a hammer, use it for a year, and then expect to sell it for close to the original cost.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
It must have been wild to grow up in an era where anything tangible and non-perishable you spent money on was supposed to gain in value over time.
Yup. All electronics loose value it just depends on how much based on how long you keep a item and when you want to get rid of it. I like to upgrade yearly and I know I will loose money but I try to sell 30 days In advance of the announcements so that I take less loss and I already own a extra phone that I could switch to for temp use.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Maybe instead of talking solely about resale value, we should frame this as a discussion about the cost paid vs. the reported costs for this year. I get that us X owners are early adopters and even bought in at the highest price ever on a phone. But when the new and improved model comes out each year for apple (as it always does), it usually isn't cheaper than the previous years model. And quoting articles from 2 months ago before the majority of the leaks and price speculations came out doesn't really do justice to OP's point.

Reactions: haqsha23

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That is true, but thanks to Annual upgrade Programs that carriers offers, where once you make 12 payments or pay up to a certain $ amount you can trade in towards the latest iPhone and people are taking advantage of it.
Maybe people on MacRumors and Apple enthusiasts. You always see more of those at Apple and carrier stores upon release. Probably not the norm for the general populace, though.

Most people I know irl don't really know or care about when new phones are released (regardless of iPhone or Android). They just replace their phones when there's something wrong with their old one (battery, cracked screen, slow, water damage, etc) with whatever's available at that point in time (yes, even if it's just 1-2 weeks before new models are released). To them, having a working phone is more valuable than getting the latest and greatest.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Maybe people on MacRumors and Apple enthusiasts. You always see more of those at Apple and carrier stores upon release. Probably not the norm for the general populace, though.

Most people I know irl don't really know or care about when new phones are released (regardless of iPhone or Android). They just replace their phones when there's something wrong with their old one (battery, cracked screen, slow, water damage, etc) with whatever's available at that point in time (yes, even if it's just 1-2 weeks before new models are released). To them, having a working phone is more valuable than getting the latest and greatest.

True, but the last time I stood in front of a carrier store for a iPhone launch I saw people who were normals but wanted the new phone and stood in line. But I see your point. Also when I was at a Apple Store a few weeks ago someone was about to buy a iPhone that day but their kid stopped him by telling them to wait till the announcements.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
There's a probably huge swath of iPhone 6 and 6s family of users still remaining. Even if every iPhone 7 user converted to iPhone 8 or X, there's a large pool of old phone users.

In terms of resale value, I think Apple could limit the damage by not offering refurbished iPhone X for sale. However, I suspect 5.8" is on its way out for 2019 with new premium models starting at 6.1".

6.1" LCD
6.1" OLED
6.5" OLED

View attachment 779865

I have to admit I am still using a 6S Plus and it works well. I know a lot of people that are still using their 6S'. Part of the reason is that it still rocks a headphone jack and the other reason is that I had AppleCare Plus and got a dead pixel at the 23 month mark and it was replaced with a new one - so I essentially have a new iPhone that does everything I need it to. BUT the XS Max is appealing. I may have to jump ship as I haven't used my headphone jack in 9 months (new VW with CarPlay and bluetooth streaming)

Since resale would be horrible on my old phone, I may just box it in case of emergency.. lol

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I have to admit I am still using a 6S Plus and it works well. I know a lot of people that are still using their 6S'. Part of the reason is that it still rocks a headphone jack and the other reason is that I had AppleCare Plus and got a dead pixel at the 23 month mark and it was replaced with a new one - so I essentially have a new iPhone that does everything I need it to. BUT the XS Max is appealing. I may have to jump ship as I haven't used my headphone jack in 9 months (new VW with CarPlay and bluetooth streaming)

Since resale would be horrible on my old phone, I may just box it in case of emergency.. lol

Well there will be some sort of carrier trade in deals, just look out for them.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Well there will be some sort of carrier trade in deals, just look out for them.

You know you may be right on that - I traded in my daughter's 6 (not 6s) mid-cycle and got almost $18 x 24mo ($432) off her new iPhone 8 256gb. Right now though they are only giving away $100 at Verizon unless you add a line.

That was a hell of a lot for that thing. More than I could ever have got from eBay or Gazelle.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
True, but the last time I stood in front of a carrier store for a iPhone launch I saw people who were normals but wanted the new phone and stood in line. But I see your point. Also when I was at a Apple Store a few weeks ago someone was about to buy a iPhone that day but their kid stopped him by telling them to wait till the announcements.
The fact that they're in line at a carrier store upon launch suggests iPhone enthusiast at the very least even if they're not techies. Heck, lining up once was enough for me. I'm fine with pre-ordering even if I don't get it on day 1.

Mind, when someone asks me for iPhone buying advice and it's near Apple keynote time, I also recommend they wait until the new ones are released. So far, of those who asked, only 2 out of 7 bothered waiting. :p

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
That’s perhaps a realistic estimation of the potential situation.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people buy things that they never intend to keep. I don’t buy anything that I don’t expect to meet my needs and desires for several years.

If I don’t expect to get 5 to 10 years of use out of a phone or computer, then I don’t invest my money in it.

My realistic perspective is that I expect most things I buy will be in use for the rest of my life unless the product either malfunctions, breaks, or somehow becomes inoperable.

If a product doesn’t meet that expectation when I consider buying it, then I don’t purchase it.

Sometimes products do unexpectedly become necessary to replace. And, sometimes life circumstances change. But I never buy anything that I am expecting to replace.

Buying anything with short term expectations will always lead to either dissatisfaction or financial loss (or both).
Lmfao 5-10 years.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
5-10 years is pushing it for a phone. A computer I can see that being true. But it might be in that age where phones don’t need to be upgraded for 5 years. I wouldn’t of said this prior to 6S which a lot of people still are keeping 3 year old phone. It was the first actually fast phone imo. With really good camera.

Reactions: Phone Junky

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yup. All electronics loose value it just depends on how much based on how long you keep a item and when you want to get rid of it. I like to upgrade yearly and I know I will loose money but I try to sell 30 days In advance of the announcements so that I take less loss and I already own a extra phone that I could switch to for temp use.

That’s what always try tosuggest if it’s possible for someone, is try to sell as much as advance as you can before the actual keynote. Now that September 12 is quickly approaching, every day those phones might slightly drop in value because the used market is becoming oversaturated with everyone wanting to sell their current devices in preparation for the new ones.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
That’s what always try tosuggest if it’s possible for someone, is try to sell as much as advance as you can before the actual keynote. Now that September 12 is quickly approaching, every day those phones might slightly drop in value because the used market is becoming oversaturated with everyone wanting to sell their current devices in preparation for the new ones.

Oversatured with everyone selling their current devices?

You do realize that the majority is still happy with their current iPhone X and keep theirs for another year or longer.
Maybe not here at macrumors ;)

Reactions: Phone Junky

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oversatured with everyone selling their current devices?

You do realize that the majority is still happy with their current iPhone X and keep theirs for another year or longer.
Maybe not here at macrumors ;)

I would highly suggest researching sites like eBay, Swappa, , take a look at the influx of Amount iPhone X’s that are on there currently, they have grown exponentially over the last two weeks ever since Apple‘s keynote announcement, they will continue to grow and oversaturate with those wanting to sell their iPhone X to upgrade, which is a reflection of Of those who have to price their phones more competitively to sell it. It’s not unusual, it happens every year.

Reactions: Geert76

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015

I agree with you, despite my Boomer-birth age, and had a similar ongoing debate with my Depression-baby mom re: my annual or biannual iphone purchase. ;)

Even more amusing: She spent $144 monthly on cable-based TV & landline. I was $$$ ahead with iPX & internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.