Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigG94

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Got a NOS 6th generation iPad for Christmas and am loving it.

I generally buy Apple Care + on Apple Care products. When I got this, I immediately attempted to purchase Apple Care + online, entered the serial number to see if it was eligible, and it told me it was not eligible. I saw nothing in the settings on the device about purchasing Apple Care +.

I didn't stress over it or try to call anyone at Apple Support (I figured they would be inundated around Christmas), I simply purchased a two-year Worth Avenue Group policy for roughly the same cost, I think Worth Avenue was a couple of dollars higher.

THEN, of course, I had a notification pop up in my settings that this product was eligible for Apple Care + and I had X-number of days to purchase it.

I generally try to avoid PITA's. I have one Apple Store 75 miles to the north of me and another 75 miles to the south of me. So taking a product there under Apple Care + would be a bit more of a PITA in its own way than packing up a product and sending it in, which I know Worth Avenue requires. It also would be a PITA to cancel Worth Avenue to sign up with Apple Care +, even though all things being equal I'd prefer Apple Care +.

Those who have had experience with both, what would you do ... let well enough alone and move forward with Worth Avenue, or go with the official company insurance? Is one that much better than the other?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Got a NOS 6th generation iPad for Christmas and am loving it.

I generally buy Apple Care + on Apple Care products. When I got this, I immediately attempted to purchase Apple Care + online, entered the serial number to see if it was eligible, and it told me it was not eligible. I saw nothing in the settings on the device about purchasing Apple Care +.

I didn't stress over it or try to call anyone at Apple Support (I figured they would be inundated around Christmas), I simply purchased a two-year Worth Avenue Group policy for roughly the same cost, I think Worth Avenue was a couple of dollars higher.

THEN, of course, I had a notification pop up in my settings that this product was eligible for Apple Care + and I had X-number of days to purchase it.

I generally try to avoid PITA's. I have one Apple Store 75 miles to the north of me and another 75 miles to the south of me. So taking a product there under Apple Care + would be a bit more of a PITA in its own way than packing up a product and sending it in, which I know Worth Avenue requires. It also would be a PITA to cancel Worth Avenue to sign up with Apple Care +, even though all things being equal I'd prefer Apple Care +.

Those who have had experience with both, what would you do ... let well enough alone and move forward with Worth Avenue, or go with the official company insurance? Is one that much better than the other?
Go with the official company insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.