Worth Buying a MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Raptor45, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Raptor45 macrumors newbie

I am a college student going into sophomore year. I currently have a pretty high end desktop, mostly used for gaming, and a year old Lenovo T61 laptop originally worth about $2000.That said, I'm interested in trying a Mac. Although the T61 is powerful and has 3D and everything, its pretty ugly doesn't feel very portable.

I don't really need a lot of power from a laptop, I have my desktop (and T61 I guess) for that. Portability is all I'm looking for mostly, since in classes and such I'm mostly IMing and checking the internet.

I'd love to get a Macbook Air for its portability, but I don't think I can justify the cost when I already have a laptop and I don't really know how I feel about Macs. So that leaves a regular Macbook but they lack some of the more interesting Mac features (multitouch, blacklit keyboard) and are still over $1000. I tried looking for a outdated used Macbook but even those were still expensive, and if I'm spending that kind of money I'd rather just get it new.

Any ideas what I might want to do?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Ebay or Craigslist? Maybe get a refurb'd one?

But YES you should get one, you'll fall in love... ;) :D

3. Raptor45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked ebay, and it seemed like they were going for like $800. For that price I'd rather just get a new one for $1100. Then it would be shiny and new and I wouldn't have the risk.

As far as refurb goes, with the student discount It winds up being the same price for a new one.

Maybe I didn't look long enough.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Opps, I got the impression $ was the issue... :eek:

Well, then I agree, a new one would be ideal (don't count out a refurb) with AppleCare :)

5. Raptor45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its partly a money thing. I can technically afford even an Air, but being in college I really shouldn't be throwing the money around like that. That'd basically be all my savings.

Ideally I'd like to find a really cheap mac to see how I like them in general, and if I like it enough upgrade in a couple years. But I can't seem to find that kind of deal; at least on the intel macbooks.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

From: :apple:'s refurb stock tonight (high turnover, check daily ;))

Don't forget to factor in your AppleCare though... ;)

Attached Files:

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Get a refurb. It's really got to be what you want. Otherwise, you should definitely wait for the next update

8. Raptor45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I can get it new with the student discount for about the same price as a refurb, soo.

9. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

get a new one. remember that you are eligible for a free touch and printer... a $400 value :D

10. Raptor45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats one of the things that has really gotten me interested in getting a mac... but even so thats $1100 towards a laptop when I already have one; which also doesn't have some of the cooler features.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook is easily the best laptop Apple sells. It isn't plagued by the design issues which make the MacBook Pro a loser for me and it isn't as worthless as the MacBook Air.

It's also the cheapest and has the best keyboard.

12. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I'm getting a refurb Macbook in the next couple of weeks to go with my new Air - they seem like solid little machines!

13. sclough macrumors regular

As another posted mentioned, buy new with the edu discount, get the iPod touch and then ebay the touch. You'll end up with a new Macbook for a great price. That's what my brother in law did, although he went the Macbook Pro route, and it saved a bunch.

14. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

def go new with ipod and printer deal.. worth it 100%..

15. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get MB with dvd burner. It cost more but you may need it sometime and it will help maintain resale value. Apple computers are expensive. I think you are paying for the OS. You are not getting great hardware for your money. You will however love the whole experience and perceive your hardware as the best thing ever.

16. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, the MacBook is PLAGUED by design problems. The plastic is cheap and prone to cracking and wearing. The viewing angles on MacBooks are ridiculously bad. The MacBook also ages very quickly with the stained plastic and overall cheap build quality.

The MBP and MBA have their own issues, but none of them pertain to poor construction or cheap materials.

17. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Do you own a Macbook? Or are you commenting on what people posted here? I have a white MB, and it's fine. No issues, no cracking. Granted, an HP 8340, or Lenovo TP are better, in terms of how rugged they are. But I carry mine everywhere. You need to remember it's a laptop, not a book you toss around. You treat it well, it'll last a long time. Oh, and I have no idea what you mean by "stains"? Do you wash your hands often? Or eat a lot of Cheetos?

18. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

My girlfriend's mom got here first mac (white MacBook) and loves it. She's very picky and has been very happy with look, quality and performance.

If you go refurb, I believe the stock is updated at 1:00 AM PST.

19. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

with the student discount, you can purchase a white macbook for 999 and with the free ipod touch and a printer, sell those on ebay and you'll make 200-300 from that. so it'll cost you 800 for a laptop. pretty good price for me.

20. phew44 macrumors newbie

Yep. $800 for a MacBook is a very nice price. Beats refurb easily.

And it's definitely worth trying to have a Mac! I used to have a Thinkpad (R51) and although the MacBook is not THAT much lighter and not THAT much smaller, it is easily twice more mobile. Stand-by-waiting time, better footprint, thinner, better keyboard, better battery.

Just try it and you'll love it. Sometimes you have to jump in cold water to get over a river. And it'll be worth it.

I mean, even if you absolutely hate it - you can sell it for $1100! You'd even make money if you sold it. Win - win.

21. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I don't own one, but I have worked on many MacBooks as I work for my university's computer department. People keep whining about them all the time. And yes, I an extremely careful with my computer equipment and know how to take care of electronics very well. That is probably why my PowerBook G4 is still serving me well today an is in a pristine condition.

22. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

And I am not denying the fact that MacBooks are not value for money. They're definitely bang for the buck, but that still does not rule out the fact that Apple is using sub-standard materials to make the MacBook. In fact, Apple's quality control has been consistently going down the toilet in the last few years.

23. ninewhereman macrumors member

I love my Mac Book. Besides the graphics i am surprised at the power of the machine. I can easily run Dreamweaver and Photoshop side by side with no issue while Iming and having a browser open with iTunes playing.

Any laptop that can do that is worth it to me.

24. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Well, that makes sense. I work in IT, and have been since '91. It makes no difference where you work, or what you give people, they'll complain. My last job we gave out HP 8340 Laptops. They were work horses, and very durable. People always complained, yet no one in IT ever had issues. Same was true at places I worked where DELL were the preferred, or IBM Think Pads.

Put it this way. Would you rather deal with cracks all day, or yellowed hand rests? Or people bitching they have viruses, it keeps locking up, I get BSOD's every time I start <<<PUT YOU APP HERE>>>...

25. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Lol, I'd have to agree with you on that point. People just like complaining! :lol: