worth buying series 3 wifi?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aPple nErd, Sep 12, 2017.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I don't want the cellular model and this will be my first watch. what am i going to miss out on? I don't see the point in paying for a "faster processor" that i'll never notice a difference in. anything i'm missing? they said the bands are the same as series 2 right?

2. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

Looks like the cellular version has 16GB of memory versus 8GB for the Wifi-only. Also someone mentioned the back of the watch is plastic versus ceramic (?). See comparison grid here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well i can't justify the extra $50 and extra $10 a month for service so i guess i'll go with the series 2 then. it's a shame apple has to do these stupid storage tiers. They could have just sold a series 3 to me had they made the wifi version 16gb.

4. ericg301 macrumors 65816

why do you need 16GB on a non-LTE watch? (or even an LTE-one). I guarantee you that you'll run out of battery before you get close to listening to 16GB of music. and most apps are tiny.

personally i plan on updating my series 0 with the series 3, nonLTE

5. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I am not really interested in the LTE version but I am disappointed that the GPS Only version has a composite back instead of the ceramic. I can imagine that will get scratched very easily in outdoor/beach environments.

6. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking Apple stopped selling the series 2 because it's literally the same as the series 3 wifi model.

I don't own any apple watches, but tempted to buy the series 2. I'm right in thinking that it will work with WatchOS 4?

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The back of the watch is rarely exposed

8. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

When at the beach body surfing, sand will definitely get in between. A little concerned about mountain biking also. Sometimes it gets pretty muddy out there.

9. rcarter3636 macrumors member

Yep.
    Series 2 is already gone from Apple Store App.

10. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Does it really matter if you get small scratches on the back of a watch that you never see?

11. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Not at all if it doesn't affect the HR sensor. But if it does then yes.
    I'll probably end up with the S3 GPS version and hope it doesn't degrade the HR performance over time.

12. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

13. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

If you have a series 2 then you have a ceramic back (look at the writing on the back). The series 1 have a composite back.

14. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

yeah i'm going with series 2, now i just have to pick my band and color!

15. WLS macrumors 65816

Just wait a week after they ship and BB will have SS series 2's for less than a series 3 wifi.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    They will show up at BB heavily discounted. I'll get one then

16. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

So I'd be better off getting a Nike + S2? Nike is already sending emails about a Nike + s"S3, but is there any benefit? Just LTE? Might as well just save money and get the Nike + S2...o_O

17. Greentrees22 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if you can purchase the series 3 with cellular capability- but not actually activate the cellular plan?

I like the idea of having the option, but don't want to be required to activate the plan

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm liking the barometer and the fact the Siri speaks so. I think the internals of the S3 make it a good buy in my book.

19. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

You may think the 70% faster isn't worth it over a discounted ($70?) series 2, but that may add longevity for when future watch OS versions come out. The extra horsepower may get you another full years worth of use if the series 3 runs a future OS better than series 2.

Plus the aforementioned Siri speaking to you (since the chip is more powerful in series 3) and I guess the barometer, although not sure what that will be good for.

The streaming Apple Music....was that just a series 3 thing? With the gps version doing it over wifi of course?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other under the hood changes (For the better) too, but I haven't read any yet.

20. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I'm thinking I'll go for it, esp since my job does not allow cellphones in the work space. I was using my now sold Watch to listen to music with my Airpods at work, but now I can have some connection to emails, text, and calls, in that order. $10 w/ Tmobile, 3 months free is ok too.

21. al0kz macrumors member

I’m wondering the same thing. My carrier hasn’t announced official support yet (Rogers Wireless in Canada) but I wanted to grab it at launch as my S0 is on its last legs.

22. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Just save your money. The Watch isn’t all that useful and just nags you more than any thing.

23. gigaguy macrumors 65816

24. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

You could always stream Apple Music to your watch, as long the phone was nearby (Well actually, the iPhone is doing most of the work). Series 3 LTE makes it possible to stream without your phone.

25. La Linea macrumors newbie

La Linea

There´s no option for a GPS-only S3 with a Stainless Steel Case.
    if you don´t need Cellular you have to buy Aluminium... :-(