Worth buying this refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oakrrl, Apr 27, 2017.

  1. oakrrl macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2006
    I've limping along with my old iMac, waiting like Godot for the promised new ones (Summer? Fall?). But I just got an opportunity to buy the following at a 15% discount:

    Apple refurbished late 2015 iMac,
    27" 4.0 GHz/32GB/ 1TB SSD/M395X

    Apple's asking price for this is $3399, so I could get it for around $2890, plus tax.

    The 1 TB SSD, extra RAM and i7 are tempting,and this will definitely be enough machine for what I do (RAW photo editing, occasional Final Cut Pro work).

    BUT - no USB-C/Thunderbolt 3. Think that's a deal-breaker and I'll regret buying it when new machines come out?
  2. campyguy macrumors 68040

    Mar 21, 2014
    Portland / Seattle
    I just priced out that iMac at retail, it's a bit steep at $4k new. Besides, that shot they use of Moraine Lake and the Ten Sentinels just blows me away every time I look at it, time for a return trip there, so I can see the other 3 and the waterfall at the other end of the Lake that they don't show in that marketing shot. That iMac is a sweet computer, but…

    I'm holding out. I need to buy 12-to-15 Macs for my company, two for my home offices, and one for my own use. I've read the posts here about the "iMac Pro" and updates to the iMac - Apple's transparency is one of the elements I've wanted from Apple for 20 years - tell me when your product is coming out and what it is, within reason, and I'll buy; perfect for a business person wanting to plan for the next several months.

    In short, I'd consider myself nuts to buy now with the caveat that I use (and my employees use) decent computers for now and knowing more about the upcoming products than I did two weeks ago. It's not just the "new shiny stuff" that's coming out soon, but also about Apple's support of non-legacy products that's important to me as a business person as they've deemed several older Macs as "legacy" devices (my 2012 Mini Servers and late-2013 rMBPs are soon to be on that chopping block). I'm waiting.
  3. Fishrrman macrumors G5


    Feb 20, 2009
    You're paying a ridiculously high premium for a 1tb SSD, no matter how you look at it (new or refurb).

    I'd get one with a smaller SSD (no larger than 512gb), and supplement it with external storage (either a platter-based HDD or an external USB3 SSD).

    My opinion only.
  4. oakrrl thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2006
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---
    Thanks, guys. I agree, retina iMacs are overpriced; I happen to have a friend who can get me 15% discount so the top-end machine at $2900 refurb isn't ridiculously over-priced, which is why I'm tempted. Question is what the new iMacs will come in at - I suspect still over-priced, and when they come up I might not be able to get as good a new machine at that $2900 price point. Hence the dilemma
  5. kschendel macrumors 6502a

    Dec 9, 2014
    The usual question: what do you do with the machine, and what do you want to do with it?

    While I agree with Fishrrman in theory, the question is whether you can actually find a similar beast with a smaller SSD. if not, then it's sort of a moot point.

    If you have your heart set on banks of 5K add-on monitors, wait. If the built-in display will do it for you, I'm not sure I see that TB3 or USB-C will change your life in any significant way, and I'd be rather inclined to buy now.
  6. oakrrl thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 1, 2006
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2017 ---
    Thanks I think you're right about T3 and though I really like USB-c convenience I don't think it will make much difference. So I'm leaning to buy

Share This Page