Worth getting rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TaylorWright619, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TaylorWright619 macrumors member

Hi all,

Thinking about getting a rMBP thisarvo. I really want one, I'm just really worried about getting one with this IR issue. If I had not read about it here I wouldn't have even known about it. I need a new laptop but don't want to buy the non retina MBP. Can someone please offer some advice on this? I just really don't want this to turn out to be a massive pain. I'm in Australia, and as. University student I am elligible for the education discount. I just really want to make sur that this could be worth it.

Thanks,
    Taylor

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If it's what you want, then go for it - do not settle for something that you don't want because of the possibility of a defect or anything of that sort. If you encounter some problems, return it and go through the process - if not, then you're all set with the computer you actually wanted.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

4. lazer155 macrumors regular

I'd say get it. I bought one myself for school. It is my second mbp. My first was a 2010 base 13 in model. It still runs great but the retina is better in my opinion. If you have the money, I would recommend the retina otherwise get the non-retina model. Both should suite your needs.

5. Purant macrumors 6502

So... What kind of info exactly are you looking for exactly? Are you trying to make someone else make a decision for you?

6. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't need a decision made for me. It's just reading about so many screen issues, I'm worried about getting one and having it a stuff up. Am also worried about the IR coming a month or so after purchase. If it wasn't for these issues I would be buying one right away. I would just like people's advice of what they think about whether it is worth it or not.

Overpowered provided some good advice, I just worry about it for the future as well. I just want to make sure the decision I make is a good one.

Thanks

7. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It's definitely worth it. I got a perfect LG screen with no observable IR issue.

8. kjlake macrumors member

Really, the majority of folks most likely don't have any problems and just don't talk about it. What you see here is skewed because of that. I've seen the same thing happen with every release recently. If you want it and can afford it, then get it... I've never regretted the decision... Just my 0.02...

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Exactly. Happy users just use their machines happily and couldn't care less about the MacBook Pro forum on MacRumors...

10. evilpaddy macrumors regular

Ive owned both the MBA and rMBP - both top spec models.

If im honest, the MBA is a fantastic machine. Unless you want to do some semi-serious gaming or need the HDMI port the MBA is great. Dont get me wrong the retina screen is gorgeous, but I think the MBA offers far better value for money.

11. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I currently have a 1st Gen iPad, a 13" MBP and a 21" iMac.

I recently just got the iPad and the iMac (when dad got new ones). I haven't been using the laptop at the moment much (but that may just be the initial thing of getting other new stuff).

I was considering the MBA but I already take the iPad to uni an it is working well there. If I did need to take a laptop anywhere I think the rMBP is light and portable enough? I think the MBA would be too small of consistent use, but would be good for uni etc, in saying that the rMBP looks fairly portable.

I have had 2 "13 inch MacBook pros in the past but I think it's time for me to move up to the bigger/better screen. Looking at the 15" screen in the apple store they look so much bigger!

12. TaylorWright619, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so i got my rMBP, set up, everything working fine. No cosmetic damages at all.

It is an LG screen, I did the test checkerboard for IR. There is VERY minimal IR. There isn't anything that is very noticeable and I had to look quite close to notice it. (Let sit for around 20-25 mins)

What does everyone think about this? Could this end up being an issue?

Thanks,
    Taylor

13. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Update:

Just let it sit for 40mins for the retention test. I think that I am just 'imagining' that it is there as it is no different from the last time and barely visible.

The only 'issue' that I can pick up is the black part at the back of the notebook seems slightly 'loose.' Is this how it is supposed to be or is is supposed to be tight?

Thanks

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you see any image retention under normal uses?

Having a single image displayed on the screen for over 40 minutes doesn't sound too typical. I'd not worry about it and enjoy your computer. I'd say that under normal issues you'll not notice anything.

You can get yourself worked up in such a bind if you continue to focus on this one issue which doesn't sound like its a problem.

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

For this amount of time even your actual retina will get serious image retention LOL

16. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Yep I am very happy with the display, crystal clear, everything perfect.

The only issue i have now with the rMBP is the laggy scrolling in Safari. This isn't terrible, but its isnt fantastic either. Could anyone shed some light on this? I looked it up, but I am unable to find a solution to weather or not it is a software or a hardware problem. If it is a software problem, I'm not going to be worried about it as I know it can be fixed, but if it is a hardware problem, I think that might get to me.

Thanks very much for your help/advice people, its greatly appreciated,
    Taylor

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple release an update recently to address this issue. Make sure your computer is up-to-date on software.

18. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Yep I updated everything... I went into the App Store, checked for updates, got everything. My OS X version is 10.8.1

19. sno1man macrumors regular

^^^ This

Actually there is truth to this. If you want to observe it yourself, watch your tv in a fairly dark room for a few minutes, then slowly close your eyes after a brightly lit scene comes on. You will see the same thing as what every one is getting so bent out of shape about here.

The other thing is that you observed a very minor amount of it ,by displaying a checkerboard pattern for 20 minutes. I have no doubt you saw what you saw, but take a step back and think about what use case scenario that would be equal to. The only one i can think of would be using the machine as a digital photo frame and the rmbp seems just a bit pricey for that.

Spending too much time in these forums versus actually using your system to do fun/productive/real world things will make you crazy

20. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Actually seems more laggy on facebook than anything, I THINK haha

21. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--I was thinking the same thing. It happens most every night when I look at my digital clock. I can see the time for several seconds after I close my eyes--but I think I will keep my eyes. ;)

As for the new rMBP--glad you got one and that you are enjoying it.

22. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh i thought that, ofcourse i didnt sit at the computer for 40 mins looking at it, i didn't even mean to do it for 40 mins, just watched TV and came back to it :cool:

I just want to work out this laggy thing now then I should be a very happy man with my new purchase :rolleyes::D;)

23. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure if it's just my imagination or if it just a bit jumpy sometimes :l not exactly sure what to think and how to feel about it at the moment.

24. polotska macrumors 6502

If the 15" is the size you like, it’s well worth it. If you think you’d prefer a smaller Retina MBP, wait a bit.

25. TaylorWright619 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not talking about the size? I'm talking about the lag.