iPad mini Worth it to trade black iPad Mini for White one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hungx, May 15, 2014.

1. hungx, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I recently bought a space gray cellular iPad Mini with Retina Display 128gb for $680 off eBay. I have always preferred white iDevices and am considering my iPad Mini and getting a white one. I have someone interested in buying my Mini for $700 and am looking at a white one with AppleCare+ (mine does not have the extended AppleCare) on eBay. I first started with a 1st gen iPad Mini 16gb, upgraded to a 32gb cellular 1st gen iPad Mini, upgraded to a 64gb cellular 2nd gen iPad Mini, and finally upgraded to my 128gb cellular 2nd gen iPad Mini. I encountered various issues when restoring from an iCloud backup and don't really want to go through the process again. I mainly use my iPad to read books and browse the internet, so I prefer white bezels (the black bezels look like constant letter boxing).

So is it worth it for me to sell my iPad to get a white one with AppleCare? I realize that there are multiple threads regarding white vs black iPads, but I'm not really in the same boat since I didn't have much choice in the color of my iPad when I bought it. I'm just worried that I will end up with no iPad if the final price of the iPad I'm looking at ends up higher than I can afford.

Edit: I'm selling my iPad Mini on Craigslist, so I don't lose any money if I decide to get the white one instead.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Go with the decision that makes you the happiest.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I don't think there is any "worth" in the color between black and white. If you are trading up to a higher storage capacity or a unit with extra / renewed warranty; there could be some worth attached to that. Otherwise you are swapping two functionally identical units.

4. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

Since the iPads have the same specs, there's no additional monetary value in making the trade besides for the AppleCare. I'm trying to decide if the better experience (white bezels seem to disappear with the content I consume) is worth the trade.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I'm using a white case (LifeProof Nuud), but it looks like I have letter boxing on the top and bottom of the screen (portrait orientation). This is part of the reason why I want to get the white one instead.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Understandable but in the end you'll be losing money by selling one and getting another. If your peace of mind is worth that, then go for it.

8. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

Actually, I'm neither losing money nor gaining money. I bought my current iPad Mini for $680 secondhand, and I have an offer for $700. I'm expecting the iPad I want to go for at most $700, but there's no guarantee since the auction ends Saturday. My previous iPad Mini was white, so that's why I went for the white case.

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Don't forget the 10-12% you'll lose in eBay and PayPal fees. Plus postage. Plus the hassle of selling, shipping, etc. Plus the possibility of fraud, if the buyer files a claim. If you're OK with the slight loss and the risk, I say go for it. :)

10. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I should have clarified, but I'm selling it on Craigslist, so I can still decide if I want to keep it or not.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why not just buy a new case, then? It seems less hassle than selling and buying iPads.

12. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I paid $100+ for my current case and can't afford to buy another one.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

14. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

If you can't afford $100 then I wouldn't be buying and selling so many iPads. you've had 4 in the last year and a half?

That said, I like the white ones too. So if it's really that you just don't want to spend money on cases, then I say go for it. But clearly you can afford it with all the upgrading you've been doing.

15. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

Actually 4 iPads in the last month. I didn't lose any money in selling them. I thought that I could live with the base 1st gen iPad Mini, but I liked the form factor so much that I wanted to store all my content on it. I don't think there's any point in getting a second case but in a different color.

16. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

This isn't really an option for me since the added thickness will break the waterproof seal on my case. I can cut it down to fit just the exposed part of the bezels, but that probably won't look very good.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Well, considering you have shot down every alternative I would say do what you need to do to get the white iPad. ;)

18. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Posters like you are ridiculous.

You know what you want to do, yet you come on here to "get advice" from others. But after you waste their time, you proceed to argue with any suggestion anyone makes that isn't what you already want to do.

Go sell the iPad and buy another one in what sounds like a perpetual line of "never good enough". Nothing enough, always greedy for more.

Make the decision you clearly want to make, and stop wasting the time of others.

19. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I don't know what to do. I was trying to see if anyone has reasons for justifying if I should keep my current iPad or not. How am I being greedy if the iPad I am looking at has the same specs as mine? If you don't want to be helpful, then don't reply.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Reason for keeping your current iPad: No hassle with selling and buying.

Reason for not keeping it: Apparently, you cant stand the color.

That's about all I can think of, unless I missed something?

21. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

There's also the extended AppleCare if I choose to get the white one. I noticed that most people who sell iPads on eBay offer expedited shipping.

----------

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sell my iPad Mini. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I missed the part about ebay. With all of the activation lock issues I wouldn't buy something that expensive anywhere but in person.

23. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

There are very few listings on Cragislist for the 128gb cellular iPad Mini in my area, so it's not really an option for me. The last few iPads I bought on eBay were fortunately not iCloud locked, and I had messaged the sellers first before buying.

24. mwebb macrumors member

True story

The only legitimate reason to really prefer one color over another is if you are upgrading your iPad and don't want your wife to know.

My son had an iPad 2. He is only 7, but he plays a ton of games, and I wanted him to enjoy the faster processor on the iPad 4 which was re-released for a $100 less than before. I looked at the color of his iPad 2. It is black. So I bought him a black iPad 4.

It took about a week, but sure enough my wife noticed the iPad was new. How?

She said the old one was white, and the new one is black. Of course it wasn't/isn't!

But I had replaced my son's old translucent white gummy case with a transparent Griffin Reveal case which has a black rim.

You can't win.

25. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

You've gone progressively from model to model wanting more. Now you're at the top, so to speak, and even so? Not good enough. The color is wrong. :roll eyes:

You know exactly what you want to do, as you've argued with every single poster who's advised against it. So get it over with already if you've got that much of a hard on for a new color that you'll gamble with an Ebay iPad.

My suggestion would be to spend your time getting your testicles out of your wife's purse instead of sneaking around so you don't get in trouble from your mommy.