Worth it to upgrade to a 7 Plus from a 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blueox4, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Blueox4 macrumors newbie

I'm on a 6 plus bought on launch day 2 years ago. I've got an order in for a 256gb 7plus but am contemplating canceling and just waiting for the iPhone 8 next year. Opinions appreciated on if it's worth it to upgrade from the 6plus now or wait for iPhone 8?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If you can live without headphone jack, then consider this as a huge upgrade. Otherwise, wait for one more year and see what Apple would bring in its 10th anniversary.

3. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I don't know about you, but my 6+ has slowed down and the battery has gone to hell. Also, some weird gremlins have surfaced. I expect it to only get worse with ios10. If my 6+ was still running like the day I got it, I probably would have waited, but speed and battery alone were enough to push me over the edge.

4. makinbiscuits macrumors member

For sure. 6 plus imo is way underpowered. I'm still using iOS 8.4 because when I updated to 9 last year it the phone got laggy. Thank his I was still able to roll back.

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

These reasons and not to mention the incremental updates the 6S Plus got. Can't wait to get my iPhone 7 Plus on Friday!

6. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I am... My 6 Plus has slowed down quite a bit. Browsing the web is a frustrating experience with constant tab loads. Laggy all around. It's the iPad 3 of iPhones.

My phone is my most used electronic device. Any bit of incremental speed improvements gets me to what I need quicker so I can proceed about my day.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Looking forward to the increased power and updated features of the iPhone 7+ that my 6+ lacks about now. Still love the 6+, but after 2 years, it's time.

8. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I'm moving from a 6 plus to a 7 plus, but I'm still going to the 10th anniversary phone too.

9. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I have done just this. But I think you should stick with the 6 Plus.

10. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

My 6 + battery is still great. But as others mentioned, it's slowing down as updates come along. And I have also developed some strange gremlins. Like text and email notification sounds come like 15 or more seconds after the red icon lights up. Sometimes never at all. There a are a couple other oddities I can't think of at the moment as well.

11. Blueox4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be going through with upgrade from my 6 Plus to the 7 Plus I think. There's enough there to justify to myself its worth it. The water resistance, better cameras, better battery and like someone said in this thread, its time after two years. Thanks everyone for helping me work through my choice. I will be going to the 10th Anniversary phone as well.

12. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Well it's not like next year's iPhone will bring headphone jack, so I say go for it.

Huge performance upgrade (more than 2x CPU and GPU, AND 3x the RAM which is amazing).
    Much better cameras (both main and front)
    Waterproof
    And many more...

13. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

My 6plus still fast and I been iOS 10 for a while now. I'm only upgrading because I dropped it and screen is cracked. I refuse to fix a 2 year old phone. I'm also on the Next plan so I can get the 8 on launch day when it comes out next year.

14. golfdude macrumors regular

In the same boat but upgrading to 7+. HW spec bumps are big and so is camera. First time I can remember keeping iPhone for 2 years. My 6+ still works great and I love it but time for an upgrade and will sell it when 7+ arrives.

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Ram is a HUGEEEE issue with my 6+. No apps ever stay open. everything reloads. its worse than my iPhone 5 i had for 2 years. Speed difference is the deciding factor for me. Keeping apps open is big to me as it will speed up how i use my phone. Especially music. reloading every music app i use if i use another app for a few minutes sucks. Plugging it into my car i have to go find the song i was listening to before. Horrible experience.
    That aside the other benefits are huge to me. camera, force touch, battery improvements, waterproofing ect...

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

6 Plus to 7+ ...def. huge upgrade!

6S Plus to 7+ ...eh .. unless you really want to :)

17. Dreads macrumors member

Gonna keep my 6+ for another year and wait for the tenth anversary iPhone.. As for speed this phone works great no reason for me to rush out and buy it..

18. greg99 macrumors member

I wasn't going to upgrade, but in the last couple of months, the phone has been hanging badly, periodically crashing, some of which may be related to the MobileIron I have to run on it, but between the speed increase, the battery life and the water resistance (I've lost three phones over the years to water), it was worth the upgrade to me.

I'm assuming I may do a short cycle upgrade next year.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm upgrading from a 6+ and let me tell you why it's worth it:

20. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Yeah, if mine hadn't nuked itself, I may have done the same. I really like it. But about a month ago, everything started heading downhill. Very interesting timing.

I do know that I will enjoy the added ram. From day 1 with my 6+, I thought it was lacking in that department. I'll be glad not to have page and app reloads every time I switch apps.

21. schoff0310 macrumors regular

schoff0310

How bout getting a new battery?

22. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I personally don't think it is a must. But, I'm a gadget person, so, I just must try it ;)

23. schoff0310 macrumors regular

schoff0310

Well I'm all for the camera. But I can't Justify paying for it when next year should be awesome. I still love my plus. So happy I got the larger one when I did. I can't go back to a smaller screen!!! Keep us posted when you get it!!!

24. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Not even sure how that works. Do they really swap the battery or just give you a refurbished phone? Because my phone has been going a bit nuts recently too. The other day it wouldn't quit switching between ring and vibrate. Of course it happened while I was in a meeting.

But really, two years between chip and OS is about as far as I want to push it anyway.

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

My plan was to upgrade this cycle but I'm on the fence. The launch hype has me looking into various options but honestly my 6 plus could last me another year.

Battery is still fantastic, and even with iOS10, it's responsive. Only annoyance is occasional screen issues where I need to lock/unlock the phone to make it work. I'm inclined to believe that's just a fault with my particular device so at some point a trip to the Apple Store for a replacement under AppleCare will be needed.