Worth updating iP4 with iOS7?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Simple question really, is it worth doing on the iP4? Or are they best left?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you like what you see and hear, there has been no major complaint to IOS7 on the 4.

I personally like IOS6 and am in the school of don't fix what ain't broke. I will look at at IOS7, if and if there is a way for me to un-do if I don't like it.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Worth updating iP4 with iOS7?

Never fathomed the undo bits....is it ever possible? Always wanted to do that with iTunes, desperately.

Has Mail remained the same?

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Seems very delayed with whatever I try to use with the update? Anyone else experienced a slower experience on the iP4?

Can we assume that iOS7 is too advanced for the iPhone 4 which is why it's all so much slower?

Couple of questions, in 'Cellular', why is there a setting for 'Use cellular data for Passbook' turned on, I don't use it?

Not mad on the new folder designs, scrolling etc. But my biggest gripe is the delay in everything I press, including emails, when you click on them, there's a delay that was never there before.

Also, an alert for carrier update came up but I ignored it, Should I go back into iTunes and see if it comes up again?

Thanks for any help

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Update - after bit of use, for those interested, if there are any left with the iP4..

Very glitchy for me and strange flashes of things that shouldn't be there. When opening an app, another one will flash up briefly.

Also can someone tell me why some of the used icons grey out at times?

Why is is popping up and telling me data roaming is turned off. It always was.

In Location Sevices what are the System services? Have they always been there?

Does the double clicking to see apps open no longer allow you to close then with the cross that deleted them from list anymore?

6. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I'm having no issues with iOS7 on my iPhone 4. It's working at least as well as the previous version. None of the issues you are having. You may want to search for some other discussions here on the iPhone 4 regarding re-installing.

You can close the running apps by double-clicking (as before) and then sliding them upwards.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. I will. Have you not noticed any of the icons darkened until you touch them?

Do you think closing them when there are 20+ open in that row, helps the performance?

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I'm still on an iPhone 4 and, in my experience, iOS 7 has made my phone faster than with iOS 6. No complaints thus far.

9. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

In my case the icon darkens for a split second when I touch it. They do that on my iPhone 4 and on my wife's 6 month old iPad. I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it as it is going on while my finger is mostly covering the icon. I think it's just a visual indication that the touch has been recognized and the app is opening.

I haven't bothered with closing anything as I haven't had any performance issues. In the Settings - General - Background App Refresh there is a statement that turning off Apps (presumably they mean turning off Background App Refresh for an app or all apps) may help battery life. Don't know if it would have a noticeable effect on overall performance. I do have Background App Refresh turned off as I didn't see any potential benefit for what I do with the phone.

10. msretx macrumors newbie

I'm still on an iPhone 4 and, in my experience, iOS 7 has sucked. Lost 50% of my phone contacts on the upgrade and now get a message on iTunes when syncing the phone that backup cannot complete, phone is disconnected? I tried to restore the phone from backup and now have contacts from people I have never emailed or called? I am currently restoring the phone software. We will see what happens. Fyi, the phone has been fine for the couple of years I have owned it.

11. msretx macrumors newbie

So after the restore I still have contacts in my phone list from people I have never contacted (email addresses from relatives of my ex whom I have not seen since prior to owning a computer or cell phone) and every contact that I had multiple phone numbers listed for (home, cell, work, etc.) I have lost all but one phone number each and still missing many contacts all together. Very upsetting so far. I realize it is pulling contacts off Facebook etc. but some are from people I am not connected with.

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've not gone through all yet. Will check contacts etc. it's definitely not as fast as 6 though.

With regards to the darkening of icons, no I haven't touched them before it happens. They are in home screen, when I notice them, and when I touch them they become light again. It's a bit of a mystery and no I never had it on iOS 6.

13. msretx, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

msretx macrumors newbie

On further review, I have lost all phone numbers but two, Apples and one of my wife's numbers (kept her cell phone number and dumped her work numbers). Lost over 100 phone numbers. Lost many contacts. Gained contacts (email address') from people I do not know or have had no contact with in over ten years. I am not a happy camper right now. Of course there is no help from Apple. Looks like my contact list has taken over my phone contacts? Any idea why?

14. Peter Franks, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not great....

My signal has got worse too. See it searching more than usual in places where the signal was fine previously. Should I have accepted the new carrier settings while it was installing or would that not be relevant to it?

And the swoosh of send and ding of incoming mail is now so tinny. For some reason

15. zxoraz macrumors member

I've updated two of them to iOS 7, including a 4S
    And from what I have experienced so far, it's not the best fit for them.
    I compared the 4 to the 4S and from what I have seen, the 4 has these problems compared to the 4S:
    - General slowness ( every single action takes longer on it, including animations such as the multitask screen navigation slide )
    - Icons stay grayed out for a while, until pressed on
    - Some icons are swapped with others ( quite rare so far )

In my opinion it's nice overall, also nice to have a fresh feel on those aged phones , but do expect some problems that might or might not be fixed.

And I don't know about you all, but Apple really begun annoying me recently with their way of managing things.
    It is nice of them to give a new os to older phones but if they do so, I believe they should also let the owners have some control over what runs on their phone, what effects, if any, what new tweaks and so on.
    Those things aren't really important compared to having basic functions such as phone that work well.
    If they aren't capable of doing that, at least let the users have an option to go back to their previous os that worked fine..
    But nope, they obviously prefer to lock the older users in an os that seemed to be designed to make those phones slower, and force them to suffer until they get a new one that barely does anything different.
    ( interesting that the iOS 7 is more simplistic, yet runs slower )

Galaxy, here I come?

16. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

You've basically said it all here,

...the wait sometimes on opening Mail, App Store, Itunes, etc.. is FAR longer than it was before the update to 7.

The grayed out icons until you click on them make no sense to me whatsoever. Today it did it on one that hadn't been opened. Yes, you click on it and it goes light again, but WHY!??? How does it choose which ones to do that with?

I had a whole page of icons jump yesterday,

Some quick flashes of other apps opening when opening a different app.

A blank home screen every so often while waiting for it to go back to home, the icons disappear.

This is definitely not a good upgrade for the iP4, maybe the S, but not the 4.

As far as I can tell, the only good improvement is the quick route to Blutooth and WiFi on the 'control centre'. Other than that, nothing is improved, especially MAIL which is horribly slow, and I want to see a timestamp, not 'updated just now'.

Even my camera was taking grainy shots today, first time used since update.

There are many glitches that need to be addressed on the .01 update, but I've a feeling there are far too many glitches on the 4 and it won't get done entirely. Shame, because I was really hoping for something more stable, but it's not a patch on the speed of the 6.

17. zxoraz macrumors member

Yeah I recognize some of the bugs that you state here,
    As for the icons being gray until you press on them again - I believe that the code runs so slow it just somehow misses the little piece of code that brings it back to be normal (As in, my guess is that Apple coded it so when the app launches, the action on the home screen icon is terminated, therefore the code that brings it back to normal never runs on the i4)

More bugs I encountered:
    - VERY bugged home screen - all of the icons are shown in a certain offset, no icon you press grays out, but when you do launch one, it launches a different app because the screen you see isn't really the one you're on. (Weird, I know)
    - the iPhone has a splash screen shown for every application before it loads (Even settings has it), when I launch applications they're sometimes in a wrong scale, pixelated and zoomed in, until the app itself loads.

But yeah everything takes ages to load, which gets really frustrating after a while (Especially when you really want to take a fast picture of something or call someone fast, which definitely was possible before then)

Well done Apple

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have had the launching an app and another opens then disappears and then the one you opened opens eventually... Yes. Another bug. Surely we're not alone in this.

The greyed out icons last night was 'Music' which was a new one. Phone was switched off overnight and it was used day before, so no real pattern to that one.

I've not read 5/5S bugs but wonder if any of the ones we mention here are familiar in the new phones?

19. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Seriously, is that it? Or would there be more, not listed to fix the awful ip4 uodate?

And where was 7.0.1 or was there no 7.0.0

20. Ann P macrumors 68020

Don't do it, super laggy! My friend's 4 running ios 7 is just frustrating to use.

21. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes. Apple are only telling us that now, after we've already done it... It's much slower than 6 for anyone thinking of doing it but hasn't yet

22. zxoraz macrumors member

So it is no longer possible to revert back to ios 6?

23. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

No, unless someone is ***** hot on this, which I'm not.... It's just going to make me upgrade my phone now.

24. zxoraz macrumors member

Yeah, I suppose it is time to do so.
    Although if you are interested in reverting back, I think it is still doable if you get an iOS 6 ipsw and restore to it.

25. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Not really my thing, I've not the first clue about how to do something like that?
    In all honesty, the home button has been doing my head in for a fair while, having to press 9 times before anything happens, and using the assist thing as an alternative is just a pain in the arse, so it's just speeded it up for me. Plus I hate the EE network and Orange/T Mobile with a passion since they've all joined forces to create the worst network on the planet and ruin my signal that had been OK for 15 years. So.... time for a change, maybe?

I'm guessing this 7.0.2 update doesn't address any of the problems the iP4 has encountered, and only the 2 things listed in the pic above?