Worth upgrading at this point in time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by January23rd2015, Jan 23, 2015.

1. January23rd2015 macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Hi, I currently have an old macbook that died on me last year and now entering into classes im looking into the macbook pro 15''.

So my question is, is it worth buying the current new models of the macbook pro 15" right now, or should i wait for the Q2 release with better guts and possible thinner build(for portability)?

main uses are running VM's and Adobe programs like photoshop, with the occasional games here and there for leisure.

Also for a side note I will not be starting any computer science classes until august so for now i can do my photoshop and gaming on my desktop, so thats why im asking if its worth waiting till june or so to get the next updated model before my computer science classes start.

Thanks for reading and if you reply with an opinion or good statement that would really benefit me. :)

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

In my opinion, buy it now. From what i've been reading, the new broadwell chips that intel just released are more for laptops like the macbook air, not for higher performance laptops like the macbook pro.

3. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

okay thanks; ive been researching to find what info i can; like now i have 20 tabs open for different things on the macbook pro but now im so lost so i decided to come here and find out any info i can gather from you people.

thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The biggest gain in Broadwell is the iGPU which will help, but are you prepared to wait at least 6 months? I'd get it now, so you can enjoy it now.

5. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

thanks you for the reply on the iGPU; I am counting on going with the top of the line 15" in regards to the hardware without upgrades so i would have that dGPU.

I am wondering if theyll do anything big in regard to weight and height of the machine its self. Because if it's talked about i wouldn't mind trying my luck; but if its just speculation at best with no inside information then I guess i would go with the current 2015 model.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The rmbp chips are still a ways off...apparently june-july. The macbook air chips are already out, so i'd expect a release soon.

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i have the high end 15" retina, and it will fill your needs for college, especially if you take photo classes or just want to play games.

8. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Thanks and yeah im not going to wait for the performance upgrade. It would be nice having a laptop for this semester for general use before i start my computer science classes, instead of borrowing my parents dell laptop everyday....

So i guess ill cruise down to the apple store today and scope out the high end 15's. And after looking into the laptop requirements for my university the high end one actually fits the criteria so im glad i didn't rush into getting an air for "portability". ;)

9. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Great! tell me how it goes, and which mac you consider buying.

10. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Well, i went and loved the macbook pro. It would more than meet my needs, My only concern is the rumors that were mentioned by Hass T on the color change and facecamera upgrade and potential 4k screen. just, It would be a slight bummer buying one and seeing some nice big changes since the retina was introduced.

11. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

I would wait. Having a 750M in 2015 is disturbing. I wish Apple would of at least upgraded the 2014 15" rMBP model with an 850M. Hopefully we get a 4k display, 950M and some more goodies like USB C.

12. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Thanks for the reply. I've come to the decision to go purchase the 15 with the iGPU tomorrow. If indeed a 4k were to come out I would sell the one I own for what it's worth and then scrap the rest together if I really need to. Yeah I'm one of those people that needs the latest and greatest even if I have to budget for if haha.

13. Adhvaitv macrumors newbie

what is iGPU ? i can see only INTEL iris or NVIDIA GeForce ...

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's the integrated GPU, in this case the Intel Iris Pro.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Integrated Graphics Processing Unit. It means the GPU is part of the same silicon as the CPU, i.e., its integrated. Traditionally, iGPUs have been very poor performers, only recently has Intel really really improved them. Haswell with the Iris Pro, and purportedly the Broadwell iGPU is supposed to be much better.

16. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Well I've had the 15" rMBP with the dGPU for a day now. Initially setup was annoying after finding out file vault is bugged and had to re install the os. But now that I've been fooling with it, I love the computer and how blazing fast it is. 9 second startup to desktop. Couldn't be more impressed.

17. close2reality macrumors 6502

If it makes you feel better I have had a few rMBP's over the past week as I started with a 13" and ended up swapping for a 15" Both laptops hung up at the FileVault screen upon first power up. Both times they did move on but took a good half an hour.

To make matters worse once I got into OS X finally, I got the "paused" when file vault was encrypting and it never came to...had to reinstall OS X.

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

Dude what are you doing? MacBooks refresh every 8 to 9 months. It is already 6 months into the cycle (7 months as soon as it hits February)!

This is the worst possible time to buy a MacBook because in 2 months it will refresh but you won't be able to return the computer after 30 days. Talk about buying at the complete end of a cycle (and with a 12" new model coming out to boot).

Where are you getting this June date from? The last MacBooks came out in July 2014, October 2013, and February 2013.

19. c1phers macrumors regular

This.... Average refresh cycle is 259 days. We're at 181 as of today. That leaves 78 days to the average refresh. I wouldn't be shocked if we got a Feb/March refresh like we did in 2013. If you buy now... you may have buyer's remorse if since it's quite possible we'll get an update in the next 2 months. If you NEED a machine, then yes, go ahead and get one, but if you can hold out, then I would.

20. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

Dude I'm using a MACBOOK that's what. I realize the cycles and all that jazz but yes I do need it. I don't have a laptop and I have classes every day of the week so I need something other than our crowded computer lab to get work done. Buyers remorse? Mmmmm yeah maybe I will but I tend to try and not feel that way about iPhones and such because it would be kind of ungrateful in some ways. I know MacBooks hold their value but what if they don't release one in February? And then I'm still computer less:eek:

And the 12 inch won't be out till a while; nor would I want it as cool as the rumors are of it and it's fabless design.

21. BiscottiGelato macrumors regular

I want to know where the June time comes from too. If it's June I'll buy one right now too. I am looking more at refurb tho. How big of a difference would it be for Broadwell?

22. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

If your going for a MBP, then don't wait for broadwell as thats a processor more for the macbook air. The next processor for the MBP is skylake and thats not coming until late 2015/2016.

However, if you are thinking of going for the MBA, then maybe wait until march.

But that's my opinion and I may be wrong.

23. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

I got the June date from looking around. I mean the last week I've had 39 tabs open all the time; looking if I should buy or not. And then I see the cycle but I just assumed they wouldn't update and would wait till q2 with the other releases as well or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I mean I thought id use this till next year and when they make a BIG Update I'd sell get extra cash and then upgrade.

But if they're honestly updating next month I'll just stick it out and wait. I just wasn't going to wait till July or so. Which they have released in that time before. Just because the "average" cycle is overdue doesn't mean anything. Wish we had some inside info from a source. Would hate to think $2500 went to and outdated machine.

----------

See this is what I was assuming. If there is no aesthetic changes and "big" ones then I'm fine. The performance is insane already haha so I like it. It'll get me where I need to go in terms of work load. And when the skylakes come out I'll just resale and make up for money lost and upgrade.

24. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple tends to follow Intel's releases, and Broadwell has been delayed to june-ish.

25. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus