Worth upgrading at this point in time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by January23rd2015, Jan 23, 2015.

1. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

June July is for the 15". The 13" chips are ready, is that right? Just want to confirm my understanding.

"Intel Launches New Broadwell Chips Appropriate for MacBook Air and 13-Inch MacBook Pro"
    http://retinamacbookpro.macrumors.com/

2. Pineapples23 macrumors member

So the macbook pro 15 inch wont use broadwell, but the 13 inch will? Does that mean 13 inch will release quicker than 15 inch?

When do you guys think 15 inch will be released?

3. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I bought mine last week and have no intention of buying a new laptop for another 2-3 years. Look, technology is always upgrading and if you freak about whats coming in a year, you'll never buy a laptop or computer.

My philosophy is that a laptop you buy today will be good for at least 3 - 5 years...or even longer. There is no point upgrading year to year as you'll probably won't see any major improvements and you'll just get white hair sooner.

5. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

yes i do agree with you. to some extent though haha; i mean if you were to drop 2g's on a laptop to have it be upgraded 30 days later that might be a bit of a disappointment. but like i said i assume june and lets be honest be gracious and give them more time. and if that is the point then i will stick with this for now. it is insanely fast and i will use it to its full benefit and get my moneys worth until next year.

But it is true, they are always updating things so you can't worry about whats coming next but to just embrace what they have now and get what they have later.....well, later haha.

Anyways this thread for me is over thanks to everyones replies and this forum in general has been help and ill continue to use it over the span of my mac usage. :)

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Usually Apple updates the whole line at once.

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Maybe, yes …

For you: maybe worth it.

For me: yes, it's worth it. Primarily because I don't want to get a Mac that can not run Mavericks. I assume that a future MacBook Pro will require Yosemite (if an Apple OS is preferred).

Operating systems aside: I begin to realise that a Mac notebook with neither a Retina display nor an integral SSD might be ideal. I assume that Apple will stop selling this model before the future MacBook Pro goes on sale.

Related

Who is the baseline MBP without retina for?Obsolete? No. Value for money? Yes.

With that cheap notebook I plan to use ZFS for (at least) my home directory and for a fast portable removable disk cache.

Less exotically, with the same notebook I guess that an SSD can take the place of the DVD drive. Something for you to consider.

OS X 10.10.2 Includes Fix for 'Thunderstrike' Hardware Exploit Affecting Macs (note to self: wonder whether that firmware will be compatible with Mavericks).

8. close2reality, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

close2reality macrumors 6502

I think it's becoming more psychological than anything. You make yourself believe you need it.

The current line of 15" MBP's are more than enough for most and as stated from others its good for a baseline of 2-3 years.

This is assuming your into a MBP for what it's made to do, not someone looking for a gaming machine.

Think about it, a retina with an i7 and 16GB or RAM. Theres not really any need for anything else right now. You don't need it...... in 3 years when more demanding is filtering into the market then thats a different story.

How much thinner would you really want this laptop? How much lighter? You already have to hold one hand on the base when opening the screen to keep base from lifting up.

9. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

haha the opening the top part is so true. It is light enough honestly, I mean in all honesty I'm the last person that this laptop weight should bother aside from computer science i low-key love bodybuilding.

All aesthetics and weight aside though; this machine is more than enough. I will beginning my main core classes (when I'm heavily hit with programming and such) in spring of 2016. And if thats how it goes and the skylines come out. Over Summer or whenever that happens i will upgrade. But for now; this is way more than i need for my couple ameture c+++ and photography class needs.

10. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

What do you guys think about getting a refurb mid 2014 13" rMBP for now to tie over until Skylake comes out? I'm hoping for finger print reader and dual 5k support from Skylake. Is that a massive waste of money over depreciation? I'm out of RAM and SSD space everyday on my MBA to the point it's not worth the time to clean anymore (almost every piece of movable data is on my 3TB Synology NAS already...)

11. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

It can be subjective. But heres my opinion; Skylake is rumored for 2016. Mid 2016 that is but its a rumor could be q1 or q4 who knows. But what i do know is that you won't be disappointed in that refurb. MacBooks are well known for holding value if kept in good condition. So keep that in mind and just save some money to the side for when you sell to add to your sell cost and bam; you got yourself a skyline. I mean thats virtually what I'm doing. More than happy with my SSD and Ram.

Don't try to keep up with technology; go with the refurb right now and just wait for the skylines

edit: on a side note i do find the touch scan a nice thing to have on a laptop as well as the 5k support wowie would that be nice right before i really dive into coding. >:) more pixels make more happy me

12. Pineapples23 macrumors member

If skylake is rumored for 2016, then whats the one coming out this year for MBP like 13 inch and 15 inch? Is it broadwell?

Do you guys think it will be released soon or until WWDC in June?

13. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Orientation

There are twelve topics about Skylake.

Seventy-eight topics about Broadwell, easily found by searching topic titles. I'm subscribed to Waiting for Broadwell MBP Thread.

14. BiscottiGelato macrumors 6502

Actually, late 2013 makes even more sense than mid 2014, and it's another $120 cheaper. Only difference is 2.4GHz instead of 2.6GHz it seems. I'll probably pull the trigger, sell my 4GB/128GB MBA, and then wait until Skylake... goes Refurb!!~

15. January23rd2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

January23rd2015

yeah i mean i dont know the prices but that would make more sense. ride that refurb out till skyline:)