iPhone XS Max Worth Upgrading to XS Max coming from X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dms_91, Jan 22, 2019.

1. dms_91 macrumors member

dms_91

So I currently own the X and really am back and forth about upgrading to the XS Max outright as I get 10% off of it. Is it worth the upgrade coming from the X or just wait for the new iPhone later this year. Was also thinking about waiting until the first 5g iPhone comes out. I usually like getting the S year model iPhones but still on the fence. Any advice?

2. rockitdog macrumors 68020

If you want a bigger scree, yes. Thats the only reason to upgrade. I'd save your money and see what Apple has in store for 2019 TBH.

3. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

I think it is. 22% more display area for 16:9 videos, more battery life, and 4GB of ram means apps reload far less often.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Bigger screen = more battery needed so it's like an hour more batter life - not a big difference. The X never had a memory management issue. Was very solid. I've never know Apple to have an app loading problem in recent iPhones.

5. jjohnstonjr macrumors member

jjohnstonjr

The iPhone XS Max more newer than it is older. The phone hasn't been out a full six months yet. I would say go for it if you want newer, latest and greatest etc. Also check and see if your carrier allows you to carry over that 10% discount going into the later part of the year. I had a friend who had a discount for a new phone but she waited and lost it.

6. dms_91 thread starter macrumors member

dms_91

Ya I get that 10% if I buy the phone outright from Apple. Just wondering if it’s worth purchasing and selling my current X.

7. coney718 macrumors regular

A couple months ago I would have said no way but after using it for a while I say yes. The screen is massive and beautiful for watching content. Camera is definitely an upgrade. Battery life and the extra RAM are also pluses.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I made this upgrade but only because I got an amazing deal. the extra screen size is really the only thing that I appreciate over the X and that's a nod to the X being a great and capable phone... My advise to you would be to hold off which is what I was going to do before I came across this deal.... I was looking for an apple watch series 4 in stainless steel to replace my series 2...
    I found someone locally selling a 1 month old like new iphone XS Max 256gb and Series 4 stainless steel 44MM watch, a product red case for the phone for $1700 so I made an offer of $1400 and it was accepted. I met with the the seller who was an amazing person who had just gotten a job with a carrier, and got a free android phone. the XS Max and watch were in immaculate condition like they were brand new...... So I paid $1400 and then sold my X for $725 and my series 2 Stainless steel for $250.....
    So I netted out paying $425 for a practically new XS Max 256gb, Series 4 Stainless Steel 44M, and product red leather case... I just had to do it.

9. Malcster macrumors 6502a

My 2 cents, as an X owner (who has also used a Max) is it's not worth it, for me it didnt appear to be any faster or reload any less often due to the extra memory, plus iOS12 still totally flies on the X... likely iOS13 will too, it'll easily be good enough until the next model arrives in Sept/Oct (and longer if needed)

As others have said, if you're really desperate for a larger screen, that's the factor.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I upgraded from the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max because of the bigger screen and dual SIM (for the most part). And the upgrade has been one I have enjoyed every day.

11. dms_91 thread starter macrumors member

dms_91

Anything else ?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    Anyone experience worst reception or service issues on the XS Max compared to the X?

12. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

For me. Abs. 100% yes.

I had an X and I loved it, but more is more! the screen size makes it more of a portable work station for me. So if you use the heck out of your iphone now I would say yes, upgrade.

have fun~

13. dms_91 thread starter macrumors member

dms_91

Ya I really want to and just keep the Max but what’s holding me back is dealing with selling my current X.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not really, outside of liking the camera. I haven’t experienced any signal problems, call drops or anything like that.

The iPhone X is a great phone. If I didn’t want the bigger screen or use dual SIM, I would still have the iPhone X.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As someone else mentioned, really the biggest upgrade is the display. I would say that from the 2017 iPhone X to the 2018 iPhone XS, it’s more a lateral grade then it is a massive upgrade. But if you want the larger display, and of course increased battery life, those would be my two considerations moving forward with a decision. [But the 10% discount is nice to have in addition.]

16. dms_91 thread starter macrumors member

dms_91

Anyone with the XS Max have sharper edges on the sides of your phone?

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It was a common issue in the beginning of production, that seems to have faded somewhat. If anyone did have sharp edges alongside the casing, Apple did replace it without question from what I read. Some cases were more severe with other saying that they could ‘Cut their finger’ and other cases were more minor, where they just noticed ‘rough edges’. There Also was a very lengthy thread on this as well.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I moved from a X to a XS Max. I really like it, but it's not absolutely revolutionary and definitely could've used the X for another year or two.

The bigger screen is certainly nicer, battery life is really good and the camera does seem better in low light. I do think reception is worse though, but only noticeable in areas that were already patchy in coverage.

19. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

Bigger Screen
    4 GB RAM
    eSim
    Faster Face ID
    256 QAM 4X4 MIMO
    Improved screen
    Gold Color

If any of that appeals then yes, if not then no.

Attached Files:

20. Conan86 macrumors 6502

My advise for anyone with the iPhone X will be to hold off upgrading this year.. The A11 is still every bit as capable as the A12 and in some cases even outperform it (from YouTube speed test videos). Reception varies, iPhone X had some Qualcomm modems which performed better whereas the XS are all equipped with a new Intel Gigabit LTE modem. I don't think that the price you'll be paying justifies the small upgrade, unless you regularly watch movies on your phone.

Additionally, with Apple's current situation and fall in revenue, Apple now knows the upper limit on their pricing so it's likely that they will revise their pricing for all their phones in 2019.

21. nordique, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019

nordique macrumors 65816

I think, for the current cost of the XS Max vs the sale price of the X, youre not getting much for your money. It's a lot of money for a phone that is overall a similar experience.

I'd be more encouraging if you were coming from an older phone

X is a very fast and capable phone. I have a X and XR (personal and work devices) and despite the A12 and LCD display, the performance between the two is identical in real world use.

X is a bit quicker in some areas because 3D touch is instant vs the haptic touch delay. But they feel identical in real world use. Heck I've sat there with my old 6s and done speed tests, and if the 6s is more or less identical in speed with opening most apps and navigating the UI as the XR, you bet the gap between the X and XR (A11 and A12) is razor, razor thin.

For the record, i used to own a XS Max and returned it, because I couldn't justify the price difference over the X. Like it just didn't make sense for me, I could have purchased a whole other brand new device with that money difference.

A note with the cameras, people online will make such a big deal about the smart hdr but take a pic of both with hdr and throw it on your computer and they look pretty much identical. The X is by no means a poor mans camera just because its a year old. People obsess about it too much, and get sucked into apples amazing marketing. Overall the phones (X and XS Max) feel similar In terms of experience.

I suppose it also depends what you value the most... If you value a larger screen above everything, then those hundreds of dollars to upgrade makes more sense. I just see it as throwing away hundreds of dollars, that could go to a more tangible upgrade in the future

I'm sure you are weighing in everyones opinion. Take time to read both sides and see which stance makes sense to you. I'm sure someone who has upgraded will have a convincing argument why it's a good idea!

It's your hard earned cash; Spend your money how you wish OP!

22. balaplus macrumors 6502

Waste of time...And money...
    The next jump from X is going to be in 2020!

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This. I don’t suspect 2019 being a big year for the iPhone, aside from the triple lens camera rumored. I think 2020 will be the next significant change in terms of technology possibly with the display, Face ID enhancements, notch reduction, perhaps even removing some physical buttons on the iPhone as well.

24. dms_91 thread starter macrumors member

dms_91

Wow, what an awesome reply. Really appreciate it. Yes I’ve been on the fence upgrading every year and this the first year that I just simply can’t keep the iPhone XS Max once purchasing it. I got a few ones with bad hardware in early batches and now buyers remorse with the feeling of it not worth it and your reply definitely made it clearer. Thank you.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

For me it was for these reasons:

Wanted the bigger screen
    Improved camera
    Improved speakers

These are the stand out features for me. I also wanted gold but that alone wouldn’t make me shell out all that money.