Would 4GB be fine for my mother?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jojoba, Dec 21, 2014.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

My mother's laptop (a Toshiba) just got drenched in a glass of red wine so I thought I'd get her something new for Christmas.

I've looked at a couple of HP laptops for her but I'm also considering getting her a 13" MBA. She's quite frugal and has always bought low budget laptops that are SLOW (which end up driving her crazy). I'd quite like her to have something a bit more snappy and I think she might also find a mac more user friendly.

She mostly uses her laptop for emails, word processing, viewing and sorting (but not editing) photos, and web browsing. Would 4GB last her for a while? She's not the sort of person who upgrades regularly, she uses what she has until it doesn't work anymore, so I want this to be a long term investment.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4GB would be adequate for your mother's uses.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4GB would indeed be adequate for your mother's uses.
    She will also like the speediness of the macbook air. Tell her to enjoy :)

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hell yes

Yup, she's going to be blown away by the SSD speed.

And the RAM is suitable for the basic stuff you described.

Heck, if would probably be enough for most of us much of the time, as long as we didn't open 60+ tabs at once.

5. dyt1983, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

Probably yes.

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

In before "She needs 16 GB for future proofing!"

4 GB will be well more than enough for those tasks for a long time.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

It will be more than enough for the daily use you have mentioned.

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

10. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks so much for the input, everybody! I suspected 4GB would be fine, but wanted some reassurance :)

I decided to pick up macbook pro for her instead. Her eye sight isn't great so I thought the retina screen might do her good. The store has a 30 day return policy, so if she ends up not liking it, I can send it back. I'll see what happens on Christmas Eve...

:D Yes, I was waiting for those, surprised nothing's come in yet!

Totally :D I've written up some instructions for her on the main differences between PC and mac. I added a line specifying "please keep red wine away from keyboard" :)

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

12. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Haha :) I think there have been many times over the years when my mother would have happily accepted...

13. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

My GF has 4GB and it's absolutely fine. It pages out rarely, and when it does it's absolutely not noticeably due to the speed of the SSD.

14. SusanK macrumors 68000

+1

:)

15. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

She needs 16GB for future proofing!!!!!

(fulfilling prophesy)

16. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Now this thread feels right :D

Well, she seems happy so far. I was worried about her making the switch in operating systems because she generally finds technology difficult to deal with. But so far she says it's fairly easy to use and she likes the screen. She's not quite used to the track pad yet (keeps scrolling in the wrong direction), but it's coming along. And she seems determined to back up a bit more regularly after the red wine incident :) I'm broke, but I think it was worth it.

Thanks all for the input!

17. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Absolutely.

18. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

You guys are insane. 4GB was good enough 10 years ago. You need at least 1TB of RAM for your computer to function. 2TB for future proofing..

Nah, 4GB is fine.

19. USF813 macrumors member

For me personally I'd go 8 because I keep my laptops a minimum of five years. Five years ago I'd say 4, next year when I upgrade to a (hopefully) retina Air it will be 8. I'm less concerned with SSD because I will never need more than the base, and SD cards are cheap enough if I do.

20. motrek macrumors 68020

The current requirement for Yosemite is 2GB, meaning that if you have 2GB, you can run the OS and still get some useful work done.

Ballpark guess, that might mean that the OS takes up 1GB and then you have 1GB available for your software.

So if you have 4GB RAM, that means you have twice the minimum necessary and (hypothetically) three times the amount of memory that Apple thinks you might need to do something useful.

That's not going to become outdated soon.

21. USF813 macrumors member

22. motrek macrumors 68020

If anything, resale value is an argument against buying any upgrades.

I have bought and sold many used Apple products on Craigslist and they have all sold for base-model prices. A common, effective, and usually honest negotiating tactic: "but I only need the base model, I'm just looking at yours because it [looks like its in good condition|you live nearby|etc.]"

Same thing happens with cars too. That sunroof that cost $2000 from the dealership? Check out how it affects the car's value on Edmunds. Wouldn't be surprised if it's like $30.

23. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

My 2014 MBA 4GB Ram blows away my 2011 MBP 8GB ram. With SSD there is hardly any differences between using ram or swapping memory to the hard disk. Your mum should be fine with 4 GB.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

She must be thrilled with your generosity. Glad she likes it!

25. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

You might want to try a BT mouse. I use mine with the Magic Mouse that came with my Mac Pro.

Lou