iPad mini Would 5.5 iPod touch kill off iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LucasLand, Sep 11, 2014.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

iPod touch is due for major upgrade. the size of the iPod touch usually follows the iPhone, so you would assume they will come out with an 5.5 iPod touch. if they did, would they kill off the iPad mini? iPad mini is 7.9 inches, so it would be roughly only 2 inches different than a 5.5 iPod touch. i've heard rumors that next month they may only update the iPad air and not the iPad mini . if this is true maybe its because they don't see a point in selling iPad mini next to a 5.5 iPod touch.

i'm wondering if the future line up will be 5.5 iPod touch, iPad air and a new iPad pro

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

why make it bigger when it's call the iPad mini

3. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

ipad mini is 7.9 inches . a 5.5 iPod touch is not an iPad mini

4. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

5.5" is definitely still firmly within phone territory. I've used a Note 3 for a bit and while it was definitely huge, it and those in its class are definitely not tablet replacements.

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

No.

The size difference is huge... More than twice as much screen space on the Retina Mini compared to the 6+... that's a bigger difference than between the Air and Mini.

When you see them side-by-side, you'll have no doubt.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I would say that the iPod Touch should be the one worried about its future. The Classic already met its maker; the Touch and Nano could be next.

7. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

it will always be around in some way. why? it caters to the crowd that don't want to pay a monthly fee to use and/or use prepaid phones

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

There most certainly won't be a 5.5" iPod but a 4.7" one. Maybe. Could be that they keep the 4 inch screen and update the internals to 5s niveau.

9. jasoncordelle macrumors member

jasoncordelle

I use a Mini Retina and can't see a nee iPhone plus replacing it.

Why? It's smaller. The Mini is already small enough for a tablet and to be honest, if I had bought it (as opposed to wining it in a comp), I wouldn't have gone with the Mini - I'd have gone with the Air.
    The iPhone PLus is NOT a tablet...it's a very large phone...barely a phablet.

Obviously that's just my opinion, but having used iPads in all sizes since the original came out and being a proud iPhone user for a number of years, I have to say, they are completely different devices and the Plus vs Mini debate will not be ended by me...

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will not kill the rMini but it will have an effect on it.

Sales of the rMini were already well below that of sales of the Air. The new iPhone 6 Plus will impact the rMini sales causing them to drop even further against the Air sales. Apple also wants to sell many Apple watches which can not be used with an rMini (Apple will be pushing iPhones).

Apple would never stop production on the rMini but they will eventually start delaying upgrades similar to the Touch situation if the sales aren't there.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The rMini can cater to that crowd too.

The iPads have kept up with the yearly CPU updates so far, whereas the iPod Touch has lagged behind a generation or two. If they are unable to maintain market separation, I see the iPod Touch as having a slightly greater chance than the rMini in getting chopped.

12. Virinprew macrumors 6502

I guess that there will be no more iPod update. They will simply sell these models and kill them in a few years. The profit from iPod doesn't justify the development effort anymore.

13. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Which is a shame, because my classic is basically a music storage device and it mainly stays in my car unless I need it for a party or get together. The new iPod would be a waste of money for someone like me. I have a phone that I use for the phone functions and the games and what not. Having a 2nd "phone" minus the celluar function with only 64GB of storage that mainly stays locked in a glove box is a waste for me. I'm going to have to find another music storage option in the future when my iPod dies or I finally upgrade to a head unit that won't support it.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

The 5.5" iPhone won't kill the iPad Mini because of the price difference.

At least in Australia, the iPhone 6+, 64GB is AU$1130. The last-gen iPad Mini 32GB+Cellular (which will probably be replaced by a 64GB model at the same price next month) is AU$750. That's a saving of AU$380, while still getting a bigger screen.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That is possible because iPad Mini is not selling very well as Apple have hoped for. :apple:

16. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

As owner of both a rMini and a 5th generation iPod Touch, I have two dogs in this fight - and love them both.

My hope is that both products will continue to receive support and upgrades in their present form factors. The reality, however, is likely to be different.

Most likely scenario is that the iPod Touch will either be discontinued or replaced with a larger screen model. Neither of these scenarios would please me. I like the small, light 4 inch size. It is PERFECT for use as a remote control, carrying around as a wifi phone, and for travel. Even smaller and lighter than an iPhone 5. I doubt that I would purchase a larger version and just hope that the present model continues to be supported with iOS and apps for several more years.

As for the rMini, I expect that it will continue as a product. Even though it is apparently outsold by the Air, it is an ideal size for many users, including me.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Citation?

I don't know if a 5.5" iPod touch would kill the mini. I think the mini is as mini as I want it for hours of repeat use. A 5.5" Touch would be just too small for the same amount of use.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is sure hope not. A 5.5" iPod is not the same as a 7.9" iPad Mini. There is still a considerable size difference there and I would hate for the iPad Mini to go away because it's the perfect size for my needs.

19. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I'm really surprised that people seem to keep bringing this up.
    A 5.5" 16:9 screen is roughly half the size of a 7.9" 4:3 screen. It's not replacing anything.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Two inches makes a whole lot of difference, especially when it's in a different ratio aspect like Beta Particle said.

If you don't want an iPad Mini, don't get an iPad Mini. But don't come to conclusions that the new iPhone sizes mean anything about its future. The iPad Mini runs iPad apps, and the iPod Touch runs iPhone/iPod apps. There are some iPad apps that will be able to scale down to the 5.5" screen, and a lot won't.

21. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What's your source for that bit of information?

23. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

No source, just the opinion of many that the iPad sizing will morph up in an effort to maintain a place in the market. Many believe the ipad life cycle is 10 years at best. I personally feel it's usefulness will be reduced by the iPhone's increasing size.

....just like the iPod which was also a game changing device.

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Okay. Your earlier statement came across as authoritative and matter-of-fact in nature, so I was curious.

I hope the iPad Mini stays around for a good long while. It's plenty useful to me as it is.

25. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Sorry for the confusion. ;)