Would a glasses-free 3D iPhone like 3DS be a hit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swampthing, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Been playing around with my Nintendo 3DS, and pretty amazed at what could be done with glasses free 3D already. Imagine if the next iPhone had the same screen technology, and the advances it could bring to apps and gaming. At first I thought 3D was gimmicky myself, but I think there are some interesting opportunities for the creative set to building outstanding apps and even better if Apple considered the inclusion of 3D photography.

Haven't seen the HTC 3D, but I believe they are already going this route. All I have heard is that the 3D effect is more subtle than the N3DS. But I think Apple should seriously consider this technology... perhaps not make it the main release, but make an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5 3D. Or simply have a slider that controls the level of 3D effect, just like the N3DS. :cool:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

a 3D screen would cost more and wear down the battery faster. Why would you need something like that on a phone?

3. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Not happening, sorry. Could you imagine the cost of a retina 3D-screen in terms of price and cost of battery?

It could be a possibility if it turns out to not be a fad and there's consumer demand, but right now there just isn't.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I will not buy any phone (or item, really) that forces 3D on you. It would be the one thing that would make me switch to droid, if they forced 3D. If they included it, but you could turn it off and not lose any features besides 3D, I'm fine with that.

5. nukem170 macrumors member

Only if it let you switch between 3D and 2D as an option. I can't stand when 3D is forced on me. Specially in movies. Some movies I have chosen not to watch in theater just because it's 3D. Regardless of what "they" want you to believe I don't think 3D is the "next dimension of entertainment".

6. Bobby Corwen, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Keep in mind there are like 7 types of 3D. Many people who have made up their mind probably have not properly experienced a real modern 3D presentation.

3D is not about the thrill of a big scary hand coming out at you or a ball flying towards your face, but rather about doing the depth of field work for your eyes to experience it in a more natural way like you are standing on the same plane or road the character is standing on. It gives depth of field and makes things have a higher level of immersion and clarity of the world in front of you.

For example it increases the feeling of grandeur in any detailed epic scene, or let's you see the exact space and depth of field of the actors like you were watching a virtual theater performance and your attention to them behaves more like in real life rather than flatness. A simple shot of a person just simply standing anywhere can be breathtaking in HD.

It's all about clarity not gimmicks, but people still act like we are talking about the Michael Jackson experience at Disney land with green and cyan glasses when we say that 3D is the future.

Note: it is the future, but not on the iPhone.

Street fighter on the 3DS is cool but not THAT cool.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I am in love with my 3DS too. Even non-3D games are amazing, I played pokemon black 5 hours straight today.

Anyway back on topic: As much as I love the 3DS, I really wouldn't want the 3DS 3D technology on my iPhone, at least not yet. There are a few reasons like battery drain, viewing angle and overall practicality.

8. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

The 3DS is doing great in sales and people love the 3D screen. BUT the 3DS is a gaming console, not a phone.

Sure the iPhone does gaming, but it is a secondary feature You have to make it has to be a phone first and a phone requires longer battery life.

An area where glassessless 3D could do great is in portable DVD players, due to their large size to keep a battery.

And by the way for people not familiar with the 3DS, the 3D is totally optional.

9. 0007776 Suspended

I hope they don't waste their money developing something like that. 3D doesn't add much, I refuse to see 3d movies if I can help it and there is no need for it on a phone.

10. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That looks amazing and the EVO 3D will be a hit.

Anyone that says 3D is a gimmick has their head up their arse.

12. madmole macrumors newbie

A mandatory 3d will just loose then 20-25% of their market. That's the %age of the population with sufficient vision defects to not be able to see/do 3d

3d movie viewing figures have dropped as folks realise that 3d adds nothing o the story and the gimmick lasts about 5 mins, and he glasses suck

I'm blind in one eye, as is my wife. Neither of use can see 3d effect including on the 3DS. So any manufacturer stupid enough to do a mandatory 3d device looses us as potential customers along with a fith of the population. That's too large a target to write off

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

No i think Apple is gonna skip 3D and go straight to Hologram technology.
    They already patented it!
    Just wait for the 2017 iPhone :p

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I think 3D would be kind of tacky in an Apple device. I've played a N3DS and while I do believe that it looks pretty cool, I wouldn't ever want that technology in a cellular telephone.

16. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Same was said for dual core processor, NFC, cloud based music and lager display but they will be implemented on the next iPhone.

The kicker here is when 3D implemented people like you will be praising Apple for having 3D...fickle

17. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

No thanks (sorry can't state all my reasons due to server failure)

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

3D on the 3DS is cool but the max you can get out of it is 5 hrs of battery.

19. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Aside from the obvious, like the cost of a 3D retina display and the weight/size Apple would need to add to the iPhone in order for the battery life to still be somewhat the same, it's just not necessary. My brother bought the 3DS the first day it launched and I had a chance to play around with it. In all honestly, the screen is so tiny that it can't fully take advantage of the 3D graphics. I have a 55" 3D TV at home which I think is perfect for 3D games/movies. The distance between me and the TV is perfect for me to be able to enjoy the 3D content. I think that cell phones just simply don't need 3D. You have to look DIRECTLY at the screen and if you don't the image gets really distorted. I hope Apple doesn't cross over to the 3D side with their iOS devices, however 3D Apple TV would be pretty mind blowing. Same with the iMac/Cinema display.

20. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I used to be a huge 3D fan but it has gotten overrated. Keep 3D in the movie theaters. Keep it off my game/entertainment systems.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I would never buy a 3d iPhone unless there was a way to turn the 3d off. I would buy it, open it up, turn that crap off and never turn it back on again.

23. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

We don't know this for certain. I doubt cloud based music will be on the next iPhone at least not on launch day. Dual core processor, yes. Larger screen, maybe. NFC, unlikely but possible.

24. Acronym macrumors 68000

3D is great, but 3D is meant for large screens in my opinion, I could see it maybe on a mac or maybe even an Ipad, but not the Iphone.