Would a late 2008 MBP be ideal for a desktop replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Next Tuesday, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I have been a really long PC user, Its the only thing i've ever used. I have always wanted a MAC. My now desktop is over 8 yrs old and is on its way out the door. I would like to purchase the base model MBP(late2008) as my desktop replacement. Does anyone use their MBP as their main computer? Would is be sufficient for that [purpose? I mainly play a few games, download music and make cd's, surf the net, watch movies, etc.....ALL my friends are MAC haters and tell me to just get a windows pc/laptop instead saying its cheaper and will have better specs. I honestly hate windows. It always crashes, freezes, etc.....Any replies would be great. What would the pros/cons be of buying a MBP as a desktop replacement?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I think only you can determine this. It also depends on what games you play and if a 15" / 17" display is sufficient for you to use on an ongoing basis.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Macbook Pro is a thin, performance laptop. I can be a desktop replacement but that depends more on how hard you like pushing your hardware.

4. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Well, i'll basically be using it every day for at least 6 hours. Screen size isnt that important as i have a 17" standard monitor now on my pc. I went into the apple store a few times and played with the 15" MBP's and the screen doesnt seem too small. I pretty much leave my pc on 24/7 and turn it off once a week for a few hours. Would this be an issue with a MBP? Does it need to be turned off daily?

5. eba macrumors regular

I started using a MBP as my main machine a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The only issue that's even close to a concern is games. I run games via Boot Camp, and even the last couple of generations of MBP run most 3D games with reasonable performance. Games that have been out a year or so - meaning long enough that they have been patched and actually work - usually run great on whatever the current MBP hardware happens to be. (In other words, you might run into performance problems on the absolute newest 3D games that bring even the latest gaming PCs to their knees, but everything else will run fine.)

I haven't even turned on my old desktop in months.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

I always just put them to sleep to save energy. Either way, it's not going to hurt it.

7. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Eba, any reply to the leaving it on issue 24/7?

8. eba macrumors regular

Not really. I was always something of a nerd and shut my PC down at night. I certainly just close the lid and leave my MBP in sleep mode more often than I ever did my PC, but I'm typically not a 24/7 guy. A fresh start never hurt anybody.

9. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Trust me, leaving your computer on is perfectly fine. I have actually heard of a story where somebody left their Powermac on for a year without a restart (no joke). I leave mine on all the time and occasionally restart. The MBP is a very suitable desktop replacement IMO. However, if you aren't going to need mobility, the iMac is a much better option (Price, Screen Size). Just my .02.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My 2.33 17" MBP is a desktop replacement which I use open on a stand with an external monitor and external keyboard and mouse. I don't game that often but the graphics card was one that I made sure that I could drive a 30" ACD with, which I was planning to buy at one point but changed my mind.

Pros: Two screen setup if you buy one external display of your choice. Pretty quiet. Doesn't take up too much room. More useful ports than a Mini or an iMac. Can take the machine with you if you need to move into another room or elsewhere.

Cons: Bottleneck is slower hard-drive, in mine at least, which I'll get to upgrading next year. Limits on max RAM. Need to keep surface of keyboard covered to stop dust getting in when used open. Concern over cost of any repairs as maintenance and parts are generally more expensive and less likely to be user-friendly to install.

It does everything I ask of it but as I said I'm not a gamer. The newer ones are more powerful than mine... I suggest you ignore your friend's advice; OS X generally makes working with your machine a far more productive and friendly environment. You get what you pay for.

11. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Most definitely. Get a 7200rpm or SSD drive, and get a NAS to put some bigger harddrives in. On top of that, make sure the laptop is placed in an area with abundant airflow, and you should be good to go.

12. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Well, i dont really NEED mobility. But it would be nice to have. Im sure if i got a laptop, i would be on my couch, on my porch, on my bed, at my friends etc.....rather than being confined to a desk. Thats one of the main reasons for looking into laptops. Im tired of sitting in the same spot. I know macs have higher resale values than pc's. Im sure i could buy a late2008 MBP, keep it till the nehlam mobile processers come out and resell it for nearly what i paid for it. With windows laptops/desktops, you cant.

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Sounds like you should be fine with an MBP as a desktop replacement. However, you might want to check about whether the games you play require dual-booting to Windows. Leaving it on shouldn't be too much of an issue either. The Hard Drive can spin down when it's not in use and that's the main thing that can wear down over time.

P.S. It's Mac not MAC. :)

14. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Ya, then it should be good. This is not a dig at you, but I do get a chuckle when PC users put MAC or Ipod.

15. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

If i do go for the MBP, it will be the base 2.4 model with the 256 vram. Ill upgrade the ram to 6 gigs myself. Upgrade the harddrive to a 7200 higher capacity hard drive. I know soon they will have 500 -1tb laptop hard drives that will fit into the mbp. can't the new mbp's handle 6gigs of ram? And as for the MAC thing, my bad. Mac** Im a pc user so dont be too harsh on me.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For what you want to do, any current portable should be fine. Considering that you're wanting to move from a desktop almost a decade old, any of them should be a step up performance wise. Unless you're wanting to play some graphics intensive games, a macbook should work as well, especially if you span it to a decent monitor. If they ever get around to updating the mac mini with the front end bus, ram and video card of the current macbook, it would probably work for you.

Can you get a windows desktop with better specs than a MBP for less? Sure, absolutely. Almost any desktop will have slightly better features for a slightly lower price compared to a laptop. But you'll still be stuck with Windows, and be hating it even more if Snow Leopard OS 10.6 does half of what they say it will. If you want to save a buck or two, consider getting an iMac for $700 less than the MBP.

OTOH, even my hating friends have to admit that the new MB and MBP's have a sweet design. It will run smoothly, and have a warranty for a year. You can buy an extended warranty that will give you three years of 24/7 tech support with a person who speaks English as their native tounge. If something breaks down, you won't have to trouble shoot what component is failing and deal with the manufacturer of that part specifically.

Go to an applestore or a best buy. Walk around and kick the tires of all the various machines and see if any of them appeal to you. Talk to a sales rep. Look on amazon ratings along with these forums and see what actual users have to say about the machines.

Your hating friends won't want you to try one, since they darned well know that once you start learning how to use a mac and os x, you'll eventually will quit buying windows software and use boot camp or vmware less and less. You think windows is a pain now? It'll be unbearable after using mac.

Good hunting, and good luck.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, the company I worked for had a Novell 3.12 server (Pentium 75, 32MB RAM, and 9GB of storage) which ran for 5 years non-stop, until a drunk hit the power pole, and the UPS couldn't hold it up any longer. Long gone are those days.

18. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Thanks so much for the info. Ive been researching alot in the past month and am swaying more toward a Mac. I like the high resale value for if i want to upgrade to the nehlam ones in late 09. This will be my first Mac and first laptop. I read all the posts on here about the issues with them, but honestly i dont really care because im sure if this was an HP or Dell forum, i would see the same issues if not more.

19. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

Yeah, on these forums you only really see the problems because that is one of the main things that people post, myself included.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just leave the hardcore 1920 x 1200 gaming to a desktop. ;)

21. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Well i dont game that much.....But im pretty sure a new MBP can handle games that are older then 6-8 months. Im sure if i decide on a Mac, ill be posting the usual pc to Mac newbie questions which im sure everyone will be glad to answer.....or get really annoyed with, lol.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I commend you for upgrading your laptop. Some people just love those radio buttons a little too much. I have 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive off of NewEgg in my MacBook.

The 9600M GT is fine for midrange laptop gaming and great for older games.

23. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Wont the new mbp's handle 6gigs of ram? Or will that come on with snow leopard? I thought i read somewhere that they are maxed out at 6gig ram. Im most likely wrong like most pc users.lol. I love this forum tho, been a long time member. Its so helpful and you can always get an answer to a problem u have.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's some weird addressing problem on the laptops that's limiting them to 6 GB right now. Maybe it'll be resolved in Snow Leopard.

Keep in mind a 4 GB DDR3-1066 SODIMM is really expensive right now.

25. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Oh ok, is that why everyone is just getting the 2x2gig sticks? I havent really checked into pricing but ill take your word for it.