Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would an iPad be enough to replace your desktop or laptop?

• Yes

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 107 79.3%

• Total voters

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The tablet was never meant to succeed the laptop, I feel it was intended to serve as an alternative for people wanting the traditional processing power of a computer, but hating the bulky and unwieldy nature of a laptop.

Pretty sure Apple themselves were claiming the iPad to be a "post-PC" device that to me means "after the PC", which means replaces the PC.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Mine has pretty much replaced my desktop computer. The only thing I use my desktop for is to convert movies and as a media server.

All my files are stored by app which is great because I don't have to fiddle through a cumbersome file system to view them. Plus, the icloud backup feature means I don't have to worry about backups or losing my app data.

I suppose if I needed to use more powerful applications, then the iPad wouldn't do. But for now, the iPad suits me just fine. However, I think it's only a matter of time before devices like iPads become just as powerful as a desktop. One day, we might be docking our iPads to keyboards and monitors for serious work, then undocking them when we need to be mobile.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Pretty sure Apple themselves were claiming the iPad to be a "post-PC" device that to me means "after the PC", which means replaces the PC.

But Steve Jobs also refered to the iPod as a post-PC device, and it's obvious that an iPod doesn't replace a PC. I think he meant "post" as in it was made after the PC, but didn't mean that it would replace the PC. In another comparison, he compared the PC to trucks and tablets to cars. I think that's a good analogy. Many people use a computer to just go on the Internet, do email, social networking, etc. That was like taking a truck to go shopping. My Mom just got my aunt an iPad, then my uncle (aunt's husband) ended up getting one for himself. Last I head, they were using them side by side in their den. They had a PC that had been sitting on a desk for god knows how long collecting dust. They never really learned how to use a PC in the first place. For those kinds of users, yes, iPad does replace a PC. For others, it's a supplementary device that complements their PC usage. And I think even asking the question "can an iPad replace a PC?" shows you are in the second category. Because my aunt and uncle aren't thinking to themselves, "This iPad totally replaced our PC!" They are just enjoying their iPads, and I doubt it would even occur to them to compare it with PCs.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Not at all.

Granted, when I'm not working, I use my iPad more than my Mac, but I can't manage my LR library on my iPad, I need to access school resources that don't work on the iPad, and even thought the iPad now has side by side multitasking, there are time when I utilize 4 monitors to spread out my files.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What about now? Have you replaced your desktop or laptop with a Ipad?
Nope. Not even close. I still have my iPad Mini and love it to pieces. But I still use my MacBook Pro and recently bought a new Mac Mini as well for other media related tasks.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What about now? Have you replaced your desktop or laptop with a Ipad?

Specs alone will never make the iPad better than a desktop or laptop. Neither will side by side multitasking.

There are a lot of things I can do now on an iPad that I couldn't do a few years back, but my next purchase will be the MacBook because it better suits my needs for getting work done.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Yes.....well, so far.

Granted, I only have an older 2008 MBP, no desktop, and I've only owned my first iPad (Air 1) for a short time, so far I have had no need to open the laptop.

Now, if I were a power user, I think that would be different. The rumored iPad Pro may muddy that a bit.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
For me it is.. I do have a windows laptop provided by my job that I use for work in and away from the office.. As far as personal use I have no need for a computer. iPad handles everything just fine.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
It really depends in what you are doing. Currently I am a student and need my laptop for reports and my master thesis. But after that I won't really use it any longer. For surfing I got my iPad and for watching movies I can use the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV.

I guess I would keep it in the house but for the most part of my need the iPad is absolutely enough as I also got a Bluetooth keyboard.

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
It might, except for the fact that I am a programmer and I kind of need an actual computer. It would definitely take care of my consumer needs, however. I say this as speculation because I do not yet own one. However, I am certain I require a laptop for programming. I do enjoy XCode, though I also have to do Windows-based programming on occasion.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No. In no particular order:

1. Doesn't support a mouse.
2. Doesn't run desktop OS productivity apps.
3. Screen is far too small for anything other than emergency use with apps like Excel and Word.

TLDR: If it doesn't have the same functionality as a laptop or desktop, it can't replace a laptop or desktop.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This is a interesting subject, personally i think if Apple releases an iPad Pro it may replace my Macbook, this is going to depend on what features the iPad Pro will (if it is in fact real and released) have, for example i have read online that Apple is working on hand writing recognition along with other features, this might be helpful to someone like myself who takes a lot of notes and writes a lot of documents.

The only thing i don't see Apple doing (and i could be wrong) is doing a Surface type iPad Pro with keyboard, Tim Cook has said a few times that Apple doesn't like the idea (something about a toaster and refrigerator). But if the iPad Pro is going to stand out and be different from the normal sized iPad and be used for both students and business people then it's going to need something different. I'm not sure about a stylus, i'm not sure if i'm sold on that idea, it's like Steve Job's said, we already have 10 of those (called fingers) and stylus's are very easy to loose.

Personally i will wait and see what the iPad Pro (again if it's real) brings, it may replace my Macbook it may not but i do think the potential is there.

Reactions: Codeseven

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
No. In no particular order:

1. Doesn't support a mouse.
2. Doesn't run desktop OS productivity apps.
3. Screen is far too small for anything other than emergency use with apps like Excel and Word.

TLDR: If it doesn't have the same functionality as a laptop or desktop, it can't replace a laptop or desktop.

Just curious, have you thought about the upcoming iPad Pro? I'm probably expecting too much, but these are what I think will be some of the killer features for it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It will be a very long time before a tablet can replace my desktop. They just don't have the horsepower I need.

A casual internet user such as my mother can use an iPad in its current form as a complete PC replacement. I actually thank Apple for that, makes my life sooooo much easier.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Just curious, have you thought about the upcoming iPad Pro? I'm probably expecting too much, but these are what I think will be some of the killer features for it.

I haven't thought very hard about it because I think that even if it will run OS X and desktop apps it will probably be physically big enough to be in overlap territory with my rMBP (and even more so with the rMB which I had for a couple of weeks). If the 12.9" rumored screen size turns out to be true, the display would actually be larger than the rMB. (!!!) On the other hand, if it ran OS X and had a built-in cell radio option, that might tilt things a good bit. Basically, I'd be open but would need to see what develops.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Not even close for me. An iPad to me is just a toy. Good for media consumption on the go but otherwise it's useless for me.
I don't even do web browsing on it. I'd rather use my 15" rMBP for that.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes. Although I have. MacBook Air which I only bought this year. I could quite happily get by with just an iPad. What I typically do is:

Surf the web
Email
Watch movies/TV shows/YouTube
Online banking
Shopping online
Listen to music/podcasts
Play games
Social networking
Read comics/books

All of this I can do on an iPad very easily and very comfortably.

I don't type documents, do heavy photo editing, or any type of document creation. So theoretically I don't really need a computer. I only bought the MBA just in case I might need to use it. I wasn't ready to embrace the post PC era just yet. I don't use my MBA that often either. I use my iPads every day along with my iPhone 6 plus. My MBA maybe once a week, however whatever I do with the MBA I could easily have been done with my iPad.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I haven't thought very hard about it because I think that even if it will run OS X and desktop apps it will probably be physically big enough to be in overlap territory with my rMBP (and even more so with the rMB which I had for a couple of weeks). If the 12.9" rumored screen size turns out to be true, the display would actually be larger than the rMB. (!!!) On the other hand, if it ran OS X and had a built-in cell radio option, that might tilt things a good bit. Basically, I'd be open but would need to see what develops.

I...sort of get you. Yes, it would be bigger than the 12-inch MacBook, and even the 13-inch Air/Pro. But why is that a bad thing? I think that is sort of the point. Sure, it removes the portability and ease of use of the 10-inch iPad, but it will probably be more bearable than you think. It shouldn't weigh more than the original iPad, which was 681g, significantly lighter than the 12-inch MacBook at 916g. I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed as little as 600g.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Mine has pretty much replaced my desktop computer. The only thing I use my desktop for is to convert movies and as a media server.

All my files are stored by app which is great because I don't have to fiddle through a cumbersome file system to view them. Plus, the icloud backup feature means I don't have to worry about backups or losing my app data.

I suppose if I needed to use more powerful applications, then the iPad wouldn't do. But for now, the iPad suits me just fine. However, I think it's only a matter of time before devices like iPads become just as powerful as a desktop. One day, we might be docking our iPads to keyboards and monitors for serious work, then undocking them when we need to be mobile.
That's what I used to use my old windows laptop for, ripping DVDs and putting them on my android devices. Since switching to iOS and the Mac I haven't done any of that. I tend to buy what I want from iTunes and watch it on my iPad.

I think I've stopped doing that because:

I can find everything I want in the iTunes Store. Wasn't the case with android

I don't find iTunes that inviting to use. I can use it but it's not as easy as drag and drop with android devices which have proper filing systems.

I don't have that much time these days to manage all of that media. It's much easier to just buy it and download to my iPad.

That was really all I used a computer outside of college work which I no longer have to do as I've finished my course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.