Would "Anyone is able to report posts" be a good idea?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by celticpride678, Aug 16, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I was thinking, and came across the fact that, would Mac Rumors be better if everyone could report. Even if you do not have an account or are not logged in. What do you think?

If you do not feel it is a good idea, what about a minimum amount of posts before being allowed to report? This will avoid a bit of spam and maybe inaccurate reporting.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So someone can just log out and report someone they have a problem with until they are banned? no thanks

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

There would be a way to track it. Every post has an ip logged and so does post reports. A high number of post reports going to 1 user from 1 ip would be a red flag to me. You could then tell who it was from what IP they posted from. Unless they used a proxy for reporting the posts.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Right, let's have non-members reporting threads......NOT! I can see that being totally abused.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Newcommers don't know the rules, or at least haven't bothered to read them. So, having the "Report post" option available to them is inviting more problems to the ones that are already there.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

From what I understand the moderators/admins like to be able to see who is reporting a post so that they can follow up later if necessary.

If, for example, a member has incorrectly reported a type of problem more than once believing it to be a rule violation, then the moderators can inform that person that such reports aren't necessary.

Requiring a minimum number of posts isn't really very wise either. Extraneous post reports may not be the most fun for the moderators, but they don't cause any particular harm to the functionality of the forums, nor is reporting a post a special privilege; it serves only to maintain the site (compare that to earning an avatar or being able to post in PRSI).

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think it would work ...

Since the report post system just creates a thread in the post report section, I think it would also mean that people could post anonymously. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please don't. MR would be better off enabling guest posting as well if they wanted to guests to report posts as well.