Would Apple replace my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, Feb 17, 2011.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

My current MBP is pretty much in perfect condition, however it has 2 flaws which I think could be enough to warrant a replacement. First is the hinge clicks when I close it after it's been open for more than a few minutes, the only problem is it will be difficult to replicate in an Apple store especially with all the other background noise and everything. The second is more obvious, but not necessarily as bad. Still, I feel that for a computer of this price getting something as simple as the keyboard right should be a no-brainer. The keys, as you can see below, are not even, and seem to indent into the center of the laptop. Notably, the B, V, Y, and even the M key are completely uneven. It's actually much more visible in real life.

[​IMG]

Anyway, do you think these two things would be enough to get a new machine? Would I have better luck by doing it over the phone? I don't have Apple care but the machine is under warranty til April. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that I've already replaced this MBP twice for the old yellow screen issue that was discussed to death when the new Arrandale's were first released. Occurs mostly on the AG screens, which I have. My current machine still has it, I just decided to give up and live with it.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How old is the MBP? Do you have apple care? If its within 30 days, they will replace it no questions asked. I've had more luck on the phone than in the store.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

no they will not give you a new one they will fix the old one.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They'll probably offer you to reseat the display, if anything.
    And I doubt they will do something for the keyboard.

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

That's something they would do in store? That's fine with me, the hinge clicking is my biggest gripe, the keyboard I can live with.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They can fix your display hinge, but they won't give you a new machine. That's what they did me when I had clicking issue… they fixed it.

Some of the keys on my keyboard are crooked, and it hasn't affected performance

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

no replacement
    the cracking issue is fixable they can adjust the thing. And if that fails depending on how nice the genius is replacement screen.If you complain enough or he will just tell you it happens cause of a user problem. The keys no idea about apples policy.

8. amoda macrumors 6502a

If it's within the return period, just go back and say you're unsatisfied. If it's not, then they'll just replace the few keys and adjust the hinge. They won't replace a $2000 machine when they can fix said "flaws" for $20.

9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Are saying uneven or unLEVEL? They look even but unLEVEL to me.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They told me that I'd have to leave it overnight. They told me it should be done within 1-3 days. In fact, they said it would most probably be fixed the same night. At the end, I got it back a week later and it wasn't properly repaired. We gave them a piece of our mind (well, not really) and walked out with a brand new MacBook Pro. They just handed me the computer for the box. The good part is that it came with iLife 2011 (which my old one didn't have) but I didn't get the CDs for it. Then I called Apple, and they sent me some replacement disks.

Oh, I also got an additional 5 months of warranty left on the computer. :D

So far, I've heard that its easy to reseat the display if you do it yourself. And from this point onwards, I only trust shipping my computer to Apple to get it repaired.

The thing is, should you return your MacBook and buy another one ... you might run into the same exact problems.

11. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Can you explain reseating the display? I'd be much more willing to try this myself before taking it in. AFAIK the clicking on mine is caused by the black plastic that covers the hinge.

12. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I can see them adjusting the hinge to stop the clicking, it`s not that uncommon an issue but I can`t see them doing much about the keys, many MBP`s seem to develop this "issue" without it having any impact on the usability of the machine, it`s a cosmetic thing really.

13. pricej636 macrumors 6502

If I know the clicking you are talking about, its not the black thing but the hinge itself. They will more than likely replace the display assembly unless they can see some physical evidence that the display is not aligned properly. With mine the genuis looked at it and said they would be replacing the display.