Would apple sue me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jesusplay, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

.....If I had a said time machine.....went forward about 4 months......got the iphone 5.....came back present day......Tell the world i got the iphone 5 before anyone!....

:D

could I go to jail? this is all hypothetical, I'm not saying I actually did travel through time because I think Albert proved it impossible but he's been dead for some time now what does he know?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it's impossible because we are living in the past right now...

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think if you could do that, and did tell everyone about it, they still wouldn't believe you.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The phone would not exist as in current times the exact model would of not even been manufactured. But if you traveled far enough back to a date before you traveled through time to get the iPhone and come back and end up getting arrested we would have a problem. If 'Apple'[could/would] of sentenced you to jail before the date you traveled forward in time you would of never gone forward in time to begin with thus starting a time paradox.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Why in the hell would you use a time machine to get the iPhone 5 instead of simply going back in time and getting the winning lottery #'s??? :confused:

Speaking of which... why wouldn't you simply go forward in time to get the iPhone 20? ;)

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I would sue you for making such a wonderful thread :)

7. DeaconGTG macrumors member

iPhone 20 likely wouldn't work if you came back to the present and tried to use it. Assuming Apple keeps up its pattern of releasing a new iPhone roughly once a year, you'd be jumping 15 years into the future. At that point, we should likely be on 5G mobile internet technology if not higher, and it'll be incompatible with the current networks.

I may be overthinking this... :p

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It would most likely have backwards compatibility with LTE bands. But that is about as far as it will probably go. 3G will be like GPRS by then.

9. iVoid macrumors 65816

If you had a time machine, the best thing to do would be to go back in time and buy Apple stock at $5 apiece. :)

Buy enough of the stock back then and Steve Jobs would probably come give your the iPhone 5 personally. :)

10. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Doctor is that you?(sorry I'm a huge whovian)

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

All that and you'd probably have a seat on the Apple board of directors too.

If you did go forward in time for the iPhone 5 (or 20), why not just stay there? Unless your goal is just to be a show off and get 15 minutes of fame.

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Interesting question. Most answer with a smart-ass remark, but I never thought about it.

I believe in time travel... not really the fantasy 'Back to the Future' type... but I believe that time (or our perception of it) can be altered since space-time is malleable. And relativity allows for it.

Of course... it truly is hypothetical since we would likely know of the technology, et cetera, et cetera. Furthermore... I believe we can travel into the future (faster than you currently perceive) but I don't believe we can travel back into the past. I read a lot on relativity, special relativity, and string theory. But those are just my opinions...

Anyway... HYPOTHETICALLY.... if it could be done... you'd probably be considered a thief and it was somehow stolen. What other possible explanation would make sense? Now if you had a finished one that was currently under development... say an iPhone 6... now THAT would be interesting.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

14. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

15. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Wow, I really love philosophical questions like these. Reminds me of the times when I took philosophy classes and discussed with my colleagues about it.

Hmm, that would create a very weird phenomenon. The entire concept of time travel is a bit flawed since those not "time traveling" will experience time as if nothing had changed or happened. Consequently, you going forward in time to get the iPhone 5 would have no effect whatsoever in changing "history" or the flow of events, since this is already built in.

Either way, time travel requires many assumptions: one of the big ones is that this space and time we are in right now is "stored" in some universal file vault. How else could you "return" to a time in the past? Furthermore, for you to go "forward" in time right now, there needs to be a space/time in the future. That in itself requires a huge assumption: that there is a future ahead. If such is the case, then it would mean that the future ahead is fated, since any actions anyone does now are pre-determined (somehow). There goes the argument for free-will vs fate.

So... hypothetically, if we accept all these assumptions and you did go forward in time and then came back to "present" time, then I suppose yes, Apple could sue you. But it wouldn't really matter in the overall scheme since you didn't change anything by time travelling... it already existed and remains unchanged.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of my days back in philosophy classes. :)

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It just raises too many questions. Theoretically the phone would not exist in present time. It would exist in no databases, the carriers would not be able to pick it up in their databases.. Just too many variables.

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Assuming you bought the future phone you should be clear, unless your thread causes Apple to add some quick clauses to the EULA. :p

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

^^^ Just for the sake of the discussion, the OP didn't mention actually using the future iPhone. Therefore, present time functionality of said future iPhone is irrelevant.

And to answer the question, I think Apple would try to sue. Whether they can prove a precedent or even have standing is another question.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I wouldn't worry. I've already gone into the future and sued you for using my invention.I won.

There will be a lawsuit in about a year so why not just give me all your money now and make the lawsuit painless. ;)

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Echo

......That statement:D

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It would take a civilization far more advanced than ours, unbelievably advanced, to begin to manipulate negative energy to create gateways to the past. But if you could obtain large quantities of negative energy -- and that's a big "if" -- then you could create a time machine that apparently obeys Einstein's equation and perhaps the laws of quantum theory.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I would hope that while you can go back in time you could not alter the past in any single aspect. It would just be like a 3D movie. No one could see you.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

24. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

Sheldon Cooper probably has a section on this in the Roommate Agreement

/Big Bang theory/

25. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you manage to get in the future and back don't bother wasting you time in line to buy a new phone but bring back some great ideas that apple can develop far ahead of it's competition. They'll hire you at once for big money.