Would iPad 2 replace MBP in my case?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seong, Mar 6, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Currently, I'm a normal high schooler who loves everything about Apple.
    I bought my Macbook Pro on Feb 2010, and an iPod Touch 4G the day it was released.
    Now that Apple has announced the new 'magical' iPad 2, I was thinking about buying one.
    I've actually thought about buying/not buying it, because some people on this forum categorizes iPad as a luxury device, where as others say it's a great PC replacement for some people.

What I normally do on my MBP is read news, check out the forums, e-mail, essay&research paper, some graphic designing, etc. Since I do not own a desktop, I use my MBP plugged in all the time and use it as if it was a desktop. However, I found out that it would be much more convenient if I was to carry an iPad 2 with me all the time, so I can do what I usually do on my MBP. So, would it be better if I went for iPad 2, or should I just stick with my MBP for few more years? Somewhere in the back of my head is telling me that I would regret buying iPad 2 someday.

Any advice?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the iPad is a poor substitute for a laptop when you need to do a lot of typing or other activities that are really better suited for a laptop.

Document creation and management is much better on a laptop then the iPad. How will you print your documents if you need too?

I think the iPad works well as a device that supplements a computer not replaces it.

3. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Do you own an iPad?

4. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

yea.... that's what I thought.
    But, I thought about purchasing a wireless bluetooth keyboard with the iPad 2 so that I can do a lot of typing on it.
    Oh well, looks like I'll be waiting for iPad 3.

5. rovex macrumors 65816

What you are really looking for is a MacBook air. Underpowered it is but a heck of a lot better than an IPad. The entry level would be enough I'd imagine, you're not asking for too much. and it's super light, super small. Has Instant just like the iPad.

I'm not upgrading to the iPad 2, not worth it at all. I will be waiting for the next refresh of the MacBook air which I hope has an i7 chip as well an option for 8 gigs of ram. That would do and save a heck of a lot of money rather than upgrading the slow iPad year after year (Ipad 2 - 512mb of ram, lol).

Get a MacBook air now or wait for the refresh if you want more horsepower.

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Check his sig, says he does.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yes

8. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

hmm, I hear some calls for Macbook Airs.
    If I get to sell my current Macbook Pro, which Macbook Air should I buy? Of course I would miss the SD Card slot & firewire, but that new Macbook Air does look sleek and sexy :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What will the Air give you that the MBP doesn't?

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Here is the reason I sold my first iPad.

Typing.. I do tons of it.

Got old very quick.

Now I do have a wireless Apple keyboard, which I got after I sold my first iPad.

I did use it with my iPhone though and the difference was night and day.

iPad + bluetooth keyboard = doable to me.

11. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Portability

I have iPad 1, MBA 13", iMac, and iPhone 4 currently, I find since I got MBA I don't use iPad nearly as much (still the best washroom reading device :)

If you got a MBP already, I don't think based on what you said, you need yo do all that fancy stuff (hardcore graphic design) on the go. I suggest keeping your MBP and pick up an iPad and be done with it. (cheaper too)

iPad for all your data consumption and MBP only when you need to do serious stuff.

MBA is nice if you want everything in one machine but I think at this point you deserve an iPad experience and after all iPad is more convenient on the go (high schoolers life), on the hall way, or going out eith friends, than a laptop that still requires to be opened up before you use.

12. Poochi, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

MBA 13" has SD. No FireWire.

13. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thanks for all of your responses!
    @maflynn
    I really think none. They seems to be the same to me. Although I'm a geek, I really don't go crazy with specs. Speed is all that matters.

@OneMike
    Yea. That's what I thought since the on-screen keyboard is what people were complaining about.

@Poochi
    Yea, I really never had a iPad-tablet experiences. Well, the only problem would be that I have an iPod Touch 4G. I wonder what I'm going to do with it. Probably just give it to my mom since she still uses iPod Touch 1G :D Oh, and I was thinking about MBA 11", since selling my current MBP will give me $700 + my current savings will equal to higher end Macbook Air 11".

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

His signature says he does, but Its irrelevant as the OP said the MBP was his only computer and he does graphic design on it.

OP. I think you could replace your MBP with an iPad and a used MacBook.

15. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

@darngooddesign
    I'm not really sure about that. I mean, I can sell my Macbook Pro, but the problem is, the price would still be lower than that of Macbook. That's the only reason I wouldn't like to sell my Macbook Pro.
    My original plan was either to sell my Macbook Pro and upgrade to Sandy Bridge, or just but the iPad 2.

16. brudog68 macrumors 6502

The suspense is killing me :D

17. Mitch2742 macrumors member

I have a laptop that gets about an hour and a half of charge, so I too essentially use it as a desktop. This is one of my main justifications for planning to purchase an iPad 2 on Friday. I'm going to get a keyboard for it, but even with that said I still don't view it as a laptop replacement--more, like others have said, a supplement. I imagine I'm going to use my iPad mostly to browse the internet, take notes, play games and other things (hell, I'll probably write papers on it once in a while too. The Pages app can export to .doc and you can obviously send files as e-mail attachments) when I don't feel like lugging my laptop and its charger around.

From what I've gathered, I don't think you nor I will regret getting an iPad 2. Just don't do anything stupid like sell your actual laptop. I know once I get my iPad, my laptop will officially become my desktop (although it pretty much already is, haha).

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Saw the thread title

and thought, of course it would.

The iPad 2 should fit into any case that can hold a MBP ;)

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I would keep the MBP and get an iPad. There's no replacement for a full computer at times but most of the time when you are away from the MBP the iPad will do almost everything you want it to do. Thats my plan, but I have an iMac not a laptop so I don't have the option to bring along my computer.

20. twotwo11 macrumors member

21. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I wouldn't replace a laptop with a tablet, that's just not a sensible idea. They have no where near the functionality of a proper laptop.

22. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I say instead of giving your mom the iPod Touch sell it and add that with your savings to buy an entry level iPad 2 and keep your MBP.

23. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

As a total computer replacement? Yes, it would be a disaster for you. I LOVE my iPad and, being a graphic/web designer, I have similar use-cases as you, but I simply will never be able to be without a main computer. The iPad is not meant for this kind of work. Now, for the leisure stuff, even writing with a bluetooth keyboard, you'll find the iPad is generally a more pleasant experience if you're like me. But for real graphic work? Forget the iPad.

But I'm telling you, save up some money and buy an iPad. Get away from the computer for your leisure activities and you will be much happier. This iMac I'm on right now rarely gets the kind of use a computer got before iPad launch last year. And I'm much happier for it. And, really, you *can* do *some* graphic work on the iPad - sketching, painting, etc. Just don't expect professional work - some people can do it, but it's more for fun. I sound like an evangelist, but the iPad truly was life-changing for me.

24. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

hmmm, I see.
    But I'm really confused with which choice I should take.
    Of course I can do all that good stuff on the iPad 2, but Macbook Air 11" also seems to be a good choice for me.....
    I really can't make up my mind. Apple is trying to trick me with using more and more money on buy more and more products :D

25. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

XD
    That's what I was afraid of when I first posted this thread :D