Would keeping a macbook pro cool improve performance when hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronr007, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aaronr007 macrumors newbie

aaronr007

I don't know if this is a stupid question but lets say i was doing a bunch of things on my MBP so it started to heat up, would using a laptop base that kept it cool with a fan make performance better or does performance not decrease when it gets hot?
    Or say i was standing in a walk-in freezer preventing the laptop from getting hot in the first place, would that help its performance?

I know this is a silly question haha

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Simply yes it would make a difference and allow the machine to boost for longer

3. aaronr007 thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronr007

So basically if i can keep it room temperature or cooler it would have a little better performance but not much

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep

5. v3nom macrumors member

Simply placing the MB a bit higher and giving it fresh air underneath it to "breath" already helps a lot.
    The problem with the MacBooks is that the cooling isn't that good and the CPU will reach 90-100°C easily. With 99°C the CPU will reduce it's clock speed (boost clock) to produce less heat. Keeping the MB cooler will help it to boost longer or to reduce the clock speed not that much.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Don't do it in a walk-in freezer though. The amount of condensation would likely fry your machine.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The issue wouldn't be in the freezer it would be when it's taken out.

8. leman macrumors 604

The answer is maybe. Better cooling will prevent your machine from throttling, so it can reach higher performance. But it depends on your usage scenario.

9. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Cooling the machine while doing really intensive things not only will make the performance better, but also can help the computer last a little bit longer. When the components inside get really hot for extended periods of time it can lead to early hardware failures. Also, with the fan constantly at warp speed, I feel dust accumulates inside quite a bit faster.

10. Rockadile macrumors regular

Put it in a zip lock bag ;)

Now at what temps would it damage and lessen the life?
    I'm considering watching and changing fan speed myself because the cMBP sounds like a jet engine at max speed 6200rpm.

11. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure of the exact temperature. I do know, however, that controlling the exterior temperature is easier than trying to control the fan speed. I would suggest picking up a cooling mat as they tend to be quite helpful. With my MacBook, all I have to do is set it on the cooling mat when it's going mach 50, and it will quiet down after about 10 minutes. Also, airflow around the bottom and back are crucial.