Would the 9.7" iPad Pro be worth it for a casual user?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by heyyitssusan, Mar 20, 2016.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I have the iPad Air, and wanting to upgrade it for awhile now. Now with the new 9.7" "pro" being announced tomorrow, I'm debating on if I should get that one or just get the Air 2.. I wouldn't use the pencil, but I'd love to use the smart keyboard. The Air 2 and 12.9" Pro are both $100 off this week at Best Buy and Target so those are really tempting. I'm just hoping the 9.7" Pro is going to be worth the money, because I love the size and would like a new iPad. Just not sure if it'll be worth it for my needs. Also, I would also like to move up to something bigger than 16GB. 32GB is fine which I heard the new iPad will have, but I can buy a 64GB iPad Air 2 for that price. It's a hard decision. I pretty much just do web browsing, watch YouTube, check email, occasionally play some games, but that's about it.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then an Air 2 would be just fine for you. Whether the new Pro is "worth" it depends on your financial situation, and only you can answer that.

Me, I am not wasting my time with old tech. New iPad Pro or bust!

3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

LOL I feel the same way as you do about old tech. That's why it's hard for me to decide.

4. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

The Air 2 is quite old now. It still performs excellent but I'd get the pro at this point.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think you have to ask the question again after the iPad Pro 9.7" launch ;)

6. Soultosoul macrumors member

Definitely upgrading my ipad2. Been waiting to see what is announced tomorrow. Whatever it is, I've pretty much decided I'll get it. The air2 gets awesome reviews, but it is 2 yrs old now. I tend to keep my tech for quite awhile so want to get the latest. It will depend on price TBH. Played around with the IPP instore and that screen is really really nice! Just not sure it's worth that much $$ to me.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Pencil support is pretty darn awesome. I dismissed it at first but after using it I'm hooked!

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

you are right, but facts are we are still waiting to know if there will be any Pencil support ;)

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It's gotta be in there. Oh well.. Less than 24 hours to go! :)

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Does any of the Apple Store in U.S have pencil kept on for demo ? For people to try ?

11. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Yes. There were at least two out at the one I went to.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I know, right? How about we wait for the device to at least be officially announced with actual features, specs, and a price before decisions about its value are made?

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

There's the whole "casual user" vs. "pro" question. It's really hard to know, since having a device with particular capabilities may be either an inspiration or a waste. "Pro" is an artificial distinction, regardless. Sure, a particular feature set may be especially suitable for professionals who require specific capabilities, but there are plenty of professionals who won't need those capabilities, and a fair number of non-pros who may, depending on their interests.

For me? It's time to upgrade my iPad (first generation - six years is a pretty nice run). I definitely want the Smart Keyboard (pro use). Maybe the larger Pro will be more than I want to carry on a routine basis, but maybe the smaller keyboard on the smaller Pro won't suit my needs. So yeah, I have to wait for the real thing to make my decision.

14. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Which location is this ?

15. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Bridgeport Village in the Portland metro area. We have three stores and they all have the same basic setup. I haven't checked the other two for the Apple Pencil but I would be very surprised if Apple didn't have a key Apple accessory on display to try out.

16. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Either will be fine. The air 2 - although a whole 18 months old ;) will still last and do well for years - the 2GB ram will really help there. It is set to be the new iPad 2 if you get my point - in 3-4 years it'll be the old faithful just like the iPad 2 was

For casual use - web browsing and watching videos etc the iPad Air 2 will be the best value I think - especially if it gets a price drop tomorrow (although if the 9.7" pro is $599 then the air 2 might stay at $499)

Get the new pro if you want, but realise you're just doing it for the tech and it is likely overkill for your usage

I'm not a fan of the smart keyboard on the pro, or the forced single angle, and on a 9.7" iPad I think it could be too cramped like those horrible netbooks that were all the rage a few years ago - ugh.

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

If you're a casual user and budget is a massive factor, then ipad air 2 is still a great choice. Whatever, still worth waiting see what Applle announce next week.

18. off_piste macrumors 6502a

I've never had a piece of technology in which I thought it was "overkill." To each their own I guess. The Air 2 is a great tablet like all the ones prior (my daughter is using our iPad 2 as her own Netflix/movie viewer) but the horizon on the Air 2 has an 18 month shorter timeframe. Maybe you're okay with that. To me the $100 or $200 over 5 years isn't a big deal.

19. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

If tomorrow we get a 9.7" Pro with the A9X or A9 chip and all the 'Pro' benefits it is most likely the Air 2 will have a price-drop. So, either way, just wait for the announcement and then decide if you want the best tech or the best deal.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Eh, not necessarily. If the Pro starts at $599, Apple could still sell the Air 2 at $499 and it would still appear cheaper in the eyes of the general public..

21. Covert-Panda macrumors newbie

I would Wait to see what the specs are of the 9.7 inch Pro, if it comes with 4GB of ram like some rumours say it should last a couple years longer then the Air 2.

22. mrklaw macrumors 65816

$499 is for 16GB though - $599 for the 64GB version which wouldn't compare well with the pro. So I think they would need to drop the price a bit.

I could see $399 for the 16GB air 2 and $499 for the 64GB, then $599 for 32GB pro

23. Serban Suspended

So the ipad mini 4 would be $299? I dont think so

24. Covert-Panda macrumors newbie

No the Mini 4 would stay the same, It only was released in September 2015. But the Air 2 has been on the market since October 2014 so it should be due for a price drop. But I fear apple will keep it at the same $499 base price :(

25. Serban Suspended

Ipad mini 4 cant have the same price as ipad air 2