Would the iPod Touch look better if...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harry20larry, Jan 4, 2009.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I look at my itouch and think why is there that bit on top of the screen apart from the ambient light sensor. Off coarse there are things beneath it however, due to this top bit, the ipod touch has the same proportions as the iphone, which are good for a phone, however, i think the itouch would look a lot better with out that bit. I did a bit of work in a photo editter and found that when you take away the iphonesque proportions it starts to look look like pvp, which is good, it also makes in very compact. What other improvements do you think would make it better aesthetically?
    [​IMG]

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

thats be nice....bigger screen, hopefully higher resolution..i'd take one(as an iPhone, but same design idea)

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There are porportions that most people agree (even subconciously) are more pleasing to the eye. The current Touch is about 4.25 x 2.375 which is a close to 0.56. The Golden Ratio is .618. You've made the Touch closer to that Golden Ratio probably without realizing it. The screen, however, is 3" x 2" or .66 which is not only very close to the Golden ratio, but a nice compromise between a 16:9 (.5625) screen and a 4:3 (.75) screen. I find it lets you view either format of video stretched to full screen with only a minor amount of distortion.

The other thing we do with the Touch (besides looking at it) is hold it in our hand. The Touch is the largest of many players I own, and on the edge of fitting comfortably in one of my average male hands. Most manufacturers (Samsung for one) that tried to impart some ergonomic consideration into their design made them narrower and even a little thicker.

Your vision of the Touch doesn't look bad, but how does it feel in one's hand? Just food for thought.

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

^ Do we find the golden ratio pleasing to the eye, or did we deliberately construct beautiful buildings etc. in the past to the golden ratio, because we thought it stood for beauty?

I'd unstretch the logo and text on the rear, and tidy up the Wifi black spot thing. Maybe have a black bar running across the top. Otherwise nice :)

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Some of both. ;)

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Surely it would.
    I'm really glad you didn't recommend changing the size of the home button, I hate it when people do that.
    But hell, so would the iPhone.. maybe.
    Both can loose a little bit on the top half where all that black is.
    A would actually like it if the iPod touch got it's sleep/wake/power button moved to the right and the headphone jack on the top.

7. svndmvn Guest

The iPhone's and iPod's ergonomics are studied quite well depending on the OS as well. If the screen was that close to the bezel it would be quite uncomfortable to type, some keys would be hard to press. And viewing something keeping the device with two hands wouldn't be the same. Same goes for a smaller iPhone/iPt = Nanoesque.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I agree with moving the headphone jack to the top, but keep the sleep button where it is.;)

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Huh? So have the headphone jack on the top right and the sleep button on the top left?

10. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

How would you hold the touch when playing landscape accelerometer-based games? You would end up with your fingers over the screen, which is ok for games with controls on the screen but not good for games without such controls.

11. friekunater macrumors 6502

that may be one of the worst iPt prototypes I've seen, I would never buy anything like that. it's too disproportionate and fat-looking and would hopefully never be in Apple's taste to produce whatsoever

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Which is probably one of the reasons Apple didn't release it.

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

ya the top of the itouch has bugged me all along. i dearly wish theyed change it cause theres no point of it. maybe they just felt that to make it true-er to the iphone style.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's part of the reason.
    Apple wants to make the iPod touch as much like the iPhone as possible but without loosing sales of either product.

And about there being "no point" of it, that's where the sensor is.
    If you look hard enough, you can actually see the little red circle.
    Also, there's probably motherboard space behind it.

EDIT: Btw, I love your signature!!! Ever heard of VNV Nation?

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Thanks, and no i haven't. there i band as i can see but whats so special about them?

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well, one of their songs was the first time I heard that verse.
    They are mainly techno/industrial. Their song Genesis off the album Future Perfect features that verse.

17. boast macrumors 65816

boast

umm, index fingers on the top, thumbs on the bottom?

18. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

My only complaint I have for the Ipod touch is the Jack at the bottom . It's very annoying when it is my pocket because it gets in the way. Also you can't unplug the dock cable when the headphones are plugged in ( a rare need)

19. nohite macrumors member

I don't want to see resolution change. The reason is that all the apps are developed to fit the 480x320 screen. that is also the reason that ipod touch and iphone have the same resolution so they can share apps.

if Apple decides to change that, what is going to happen to the 10,000+ apps in the App store? are companies going to stop developing apps for older ipods and iphones? I remember changing my cell phone last year and all my old games would only fit 3/4 of the screen on the new phone.

20. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

they wouldn't change the screen res but just get rid of the forehead.

21. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

what's wrong with you people I think it looks fine the way it is. And also about making it thinner, I have a silicone case right now that makes it about the size of an iPhone And whenever I take it off it feels really unxomfortable. You would also have to think about how fragile it would be if it was so thin. I also think that yours looks too square and boxy. And also the iPod touch is built to fit perfectly in the average hand and making it longer would put stress on your fingers and make them sore. Well just my opinion anyway apple usually perfects their products around third gen like the nano so I'm expecting quite a bit from apple this year on the touch!

22. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

well im just saying aside from the light sensor the forehead has no point.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Um, why not?

24. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

haha yeah I can unplug mine with the headphones in ^^^

and I like it the way it is too. I agree that making it thinner would make it uncomfortable to hold and probably more fragile than it need to be, I worry enough about dropping it as it is with a case on. The only thing I would like to see changed cosmetically would be the back of it. I would like to see a matt finish or something besides the polished look. The polished looks nice but gets scratches and swirls too easily. I think a matt finish would cut back on this. I have small swirls and scratches on mine from just having it for a few days while waiting for my case to come in the mail and I was EXTREMELY careful.