Would The Matrix make a good TV series?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TK2K, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

So I just rewatched all 3 in a row, and something hit me at the end. At the end of the third movie we are left with a bizillion unanswered questions. Here's my thinking of how it could play out, i mean, Terminator turned into a TV series (allbeit a short lived one)

Humanity isn't 'free' of the machines, there's just this weird peace that forms because of it... There's still a ton that has to be worked out in order to coexist, the rebulding of zion, the establishment of a government not based solely on survival, the forming of an uneasy truce etc.
    Obviously it'd be some sort of offshoot, maybe following Link and Naiboe in the matrix while Morpheus leads Zion to a new coexistance.

The matrix is just as good an excuse for varrying plots as dr who's 'going to the next planet' but Zion gives it the kind of core basis of Battlestar or Deep Space 9. I'm sure a creative writer group could come up with something...

What do you think? Would you watch a matrix TV offshoot?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For me... it began to wear thin towards the end
    And the ending... well, it just didn't do it for me

The third movie was a disappointment to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A series? It barely made it as a trilogy. 2 and 3 were rotten compared to the first.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I really enjoyed The Matrix trilogy, but no, I would not want to watch a series. I would not expect it to last to long on a major network. It might get one season on SciFi or equivalent.
    I have to say, I was proven wrong with Terminator: TSCC. I hate that they pulled it, but it wasn't doing so well with the general public

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

They were terrible films, what makes you think they would make for good telly? As Chundles has said, they did the impossible and actually got worse as the trilogy, er, "progressed". :eek:

6. cube macrumors G5

What? Fist fights the whole episode, every week?

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Seen the animatrix? About as close as you're gonna get.

The first movie was great, the Wachowski brothers made a pretty penny on that one. By the time Revolutions finished screening around the world, they were broke (or so I heard).

8. bartelby macrumors Core

No it wouldn't. It didn't even manage 3 good films...

9. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Yes Matrix on TV or on PC? See Link

Yeah, actually this has been tried, unfortunately the matrix runs on Windows... That is why was great on the beginning and then deteriorated over time

Watch This:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1886349

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wouldn't think so.

The Matrix would have been brilliant if it was just a one off film. No sequels, no crappy games, no comics or TV shows or anything silly. Just a quick film to get the point across and maybe a film related to it many years down the line.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each sequel had to try and top the previous movie, and it relied on special effects and over the top story lines to do it

The first movie was intriguing and thought provoking as well as having plenty of action

The next two crossed the lines into silliness and absurdity, and only cheapened the franchise IMO

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It would have looked better on the cutting room floor.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Considering how huge the budget was for the films, and how little it would be for a TV series, the CGI would be shockingly bad, plus you know, I wouldn't trust the Wachowski brothers to write it, considering the 3rd film...

14. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

A second Animatrix DVD might be a much better idea indeed.

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

This. Never bothered seeing the 3rd and can't even remember what happened in the 2nd except that it was awful.

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Only if you get a team of decent writers in and do away with all the charecters and start afresh with a new set of charecters set in the same universe, no "the one" bull either. then, maybe, just maybe it might be workable.

I would quite like to see another set of animatrix, I liked the iRobot (books not film) way they worked stories around the central concept without being too bothered with the film storyline.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I thought the storylines in the movies were crap; if it weren't for the awesome special effects, those movies would've been nothing.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

^^^ I disagree. I think the world of the matrix is rich enough to have a TV series. It wouldn't feature Neo and facet of the story line surrounding "the one", but there are plenty of ideas to explore. The Animatrix is a good example. Matriculated is one my all time favorite animated short films.

19. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

I mean honestly if they can do Battlestar on a budget they could do a Matrix spinnoff. it wouldn't focus on fist fight,s it's focus on the 'average zioner'

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, also there was the story about the first guy who could "remake" the matrix. Or about Morpheus in training and his initial adventures.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What are the costs of cartoon/cell based animation versus live action filming? I would be in favour of a high quality animation series very much like the animatrix. I not a big fan of live action CGI done on a budget, it means that other parts of the show get cut, plus it means that the show needs to be hugely popular in order to get renewed for more seasons.

And I agree with the posters above. A TV series is ideally a spin-off concept.

22. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you- they should have left well enough alone. The second was OK, but the third was just horrible.