Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerdynerdynerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
i recomend the apple thunderbolt display if u want it to match..and dont miss 4k

I don't mean a good match in terms of industrial design.

I'd like 4K and am wondering if this is something a MacBook Pro will drive well? I've read some things about MST and SST but it's a bit over my head technically.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

I'd like 4K and am wondering if this is something a MacBook Pro will drive well? I've read some things about MST and SST but it's a bit over my head technically.

Which MacBook do you have? And do you have a discrete graphics card?

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
It has 4K resolution on a 31 inch display, that's 150dpi. With OS X (or macOS) everything is designed for 100-110dpi, or with pixel doubling for 200-220dpi. 150dpi is square in the middle, everything will be rather small without, and rather large with pixel doubling. It's the same number of pixels used in the 21inch iMac!

nerdynerdynerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
That's an interesting point, I didn't know that. So OS X doesn't just adjust things to suit whatever monitor you run?

Having said that, I'll often be in Avid, Adobe and Davinci, so not sure how that affects the scaling.

If not the LG, is there another decent 4K display that users on here would recommend instead?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I reccomend you get a 5k iMac for that use case it's a far more useful product for you. Desktop class processors, better GPU options, p3 colour gamut, 5k screens allowing full 4K for work with editing tools around the outside.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I use the Dell P2715Q 27" 4K monitor. It's probably the most well-known 4K monitor right now because it was one of the first to offer 4K IPS @60Hz at a decent price. It's a very good buy and I'm really happy with it. Worked perfectly with my 2014 MacBook Pro low-end model, also works great with my current 2015 low-end MacBook on HiDPI 1080p using Apple's Digital AV Adapter with HDMI (only a temporary situation).

Reactions: jerryk

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
That's an interesting point, I didn't know that. So OS X doesn't just adjust things to suit whatever monitor you run?
No, it can only do either native resolution, or pixel doubling where every logical pixel uses four (2x2) physical pixels. That's why the retina screens double the horizontal and vertical resolutions. The 150dpi are exactly between normal and retina resolutions, so neither will be pretty. You'll either have the same content as Full HD, for which it is very large, or four times that, for which it is relatively small.
[doublepost=1465985594][/doublepost]There are some other scaling options, but they don't work the right way and impact quality (and possibly performance).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am ordering the same machine so I will watch this thread with interest to see which way you go and hear about your experience.

I am torn between a couple of 24 inch 4Ks and a 43 inch ultrawide.

nerdynerdynerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
sure its ttoally worth 600 dolalrs for th e 1tb SSD

Excellent contribution.

This computer is used in a professional context, so that money is recouped by little more than half a day's invoicing.

It would cost me more in lost income to fanny about learning to build the PC that I suspect you're going to suggest would be better value.

jobs.jdfournier

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014

I have been using the same dell 27" 4k monitor until it just died on me. Now going through the painful Dell warranty repair process. When it was working, the resolution and scaling was great. You need the thunderbolt to displayport cable. I used it with a 13" MacBook pro and it did struggle pushing pixels in some basic browser games and 4k youtube videos.

nerdynerdynerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
After doing some research on the LG, it seems some Mac users were having problems with it. Apparently it was listed on Apple's supported displays, and subsequently removed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

The 27 inch Dell mentioned by a couple of you is also not on the list.

I've decided to go with a Dell that is on the list: the UP3214Q. I figure something officially listed on Apple's website is the most reliable option.

Not sure where that leaves me with the font scaling issue, but as that monitor will largely be used for design work in non-Apple applications, I don't know how relevant this will be.

Thanks to those who made constructive contributions.

RandomRazer

Suspended
Jun 14, 2016
Excellent contribution.

This computer is used in a professional context, so that money is recouped by little more than half a day's invoicing.

It would cost me more in lost income to fanny about learning to build the PC that I suspect you're going to suggest would be better value.
half days of what? what are you an accountant?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I reccomend you get a 5k iMac for that use case it's a far more useful product for you. Desktop class processors, better GPU options, p3 colour gamut, 5k screens allowing full 4K for work with editing tools around the outside.

The OP is looking for a monitor for thier laptop. I struggle to carry around my iMac :)

Reactions: Basic75

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
The OP is looking for a monitor for thier laptop. I struggle to carry around my iMac :)

- It's not *that* difficult...

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.19.02.png

Reactions: MH01

makrom

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2015
No, it can only do either native resolution, or pixel doubling where every logical pixel uses four (2x2) physical pixels. That's why the retina screens double the horizontal and vertical resolutions. The 150dpi are exactly between normal and retina resolutions, so neither will be pretty. You'll either have the same content as Full HD, for which it is very large, or four times that, for which it is relatively small.
[doublepost=1465985594][/doublepost]There are some other scaling options, but they don't work the right way and impact quality (and possibly performance).

I don't think the scaled resolutions have these caveats, or at least not to a significant degree.
up/down scaling in OSX is more sophisticated, content is rendered at twice the virtual resolution and then downscaled to the hardware resolution.
From my experience, a virtual resolution of 2560*1440 on a 27" 4k screen works quite well.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
I don't think the scaled resolutions have these caveats, or at least not to a significant degree.
up/down scaling in OSX is more sophisticated, content is rendered at twice the virtual resolution and then downscaled to the hardware resolution.
From my experience, a virtual resolution of 2560*1440 on a 27" 4k screen works quite well.
That's not sophisticated at all, rendering at 5K and downscaling to 4K is just a kludge because OS X can't do proper resolution independent rendering directly. Heck, you can't even choose the font size for the menu bar!

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
It is. Apple made the choice to scale it down so it looks better.
No, it's not. Resolution independence means for example that font sizes are user selectable and that text is directly rendered in the desired target size and resolution, not that the whole screen is rendered off-screen and then scaled down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.