Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a plastic Apple Watch C?

• Yes

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 127 84.1%

• Total voters

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
damn, we at MR are definitely too fancy for the rest of the world.. Lulz

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Maybe we should have a new motto for this section of the forum: "MacRumors, too posh for plastic." :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
What if one of the rumored new casings is the unapologetically plastic case with cheaper price and comes in different colors. Would u buy it?

I think it'd be great, especially for teens. Similar to the way my daughter wanted the 5C in green :)

I wonder if G-shock like apple watch would sell well?

A ruggedized version would sell quite well, I think.

Indeed, I think it would've made more fashion sense for Apple to have come out with several different body styles.

Not everyone wants to wear the exact same shape as millions of others. A little variety would be nice in that respect.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
No, my plastic fitness tracker is pretty banged up from everyday use. Give me SS and sapphire please lol

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The 5C is 18% heavier and thicker than the 5. A similar difference between a plastic watch and the metal ones would be deadly.

----------

Indeed, I think it would've made more fashion sense for Apple to have come out with several different body styles.

The shape of things like phones and watches is generally dictated by the screen or face. Any different style would essentially be padding around the innards.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It's more for price... I don't think people would really care much if it's x% heavier.. Lol

kdarling

macrumors P6
The shape of things like phones and watches is generally dictated by the screen or face. Any different style would essentially be padding around the innards.

Sure, just like its current rounded edges are already "padding" around a rectangular box.

There are plenty of other rectangular-ish screen shapes possible. Just check a watch catalog.

It would be great if Apple Watch buyers had several to choose, so they wouldn't all look like clones of each other with only a slight variance in colors and bands.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
A plastic one would be ok, if it were styled a bit like a G-Shock so you're kind getting a watch pre-fit with an otter box with better shock and waterproof protection.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
don't try too hard not to be a snob...

all im saying is for people who want a more affordable option.. obviously some people can afford em and sport is the cheapest out of the current offering. I wanted the stainless steel myself. but for others, they can get the cheaper plastic version.

I'm pretty sure $349 is "affordable". I don't see the point in making it any cheaper.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
I'm pretty sure $349 is "affordable". I don't see the point in making it any cheaper.

Just because someone has the money doesn't necessarily mean they want or need to spend it. I bought my AW Sport and eagerly anticipate its arrival. I could have bought a stainless but I am not into the stainless look nor was I real keen on the extra $200 it would cost. But unless the polycarbonate models had looked like Fisher-Price wannabes, I would have strongly considered one of it meant substantial savings.

I may be a dummy but I'm no fool.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I think a plastic watch would be more genuine to the reality of any technology laden device. That is, something temporary that is only intended to last a couple of years before it becomes obsolete. Nobody doubts that Apple will release an update in the next 12-24 months.

Oh I hope so.

It's terrible to have treasured mementos of your past crumble into dust like that, but that's been my repeated disappointment when trying to either appreciate or pass along anything made of plastic to the next generation. Sometimes the plasticizers ooze out and you find a sludgy mess. Or they dissipate into the air and what's left is a crumble brittle mess.

You're fooling yourself if you think any of the current Apple Watches will be usable by the next generation. Sure the case will be intact and the circuits will work. But I doubt it will even turn on because the battery will be so depleted, and no option will exist to replace it. Further, all of the radios will be outdated and unable to connect to anything considered modern at the time. And even if it could, the fact that it requires an iPhone will still render it useless. Either people will have moved on to some other type of device in the future (i.e. iPhones are no longer made), or iPhones and iOS will have been updated so much that they no longer support the original Apple Watch.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think a plastic watch would be more genuine to the reality of any technology laden device. That is, something temporary that is only intended to last a couple of years before it becomes obsolete. Nobody doubts that Apple will release an update in the next 12-24 months.

You're fooling yourself if you think any of the current Apple Watches will be usable by the next generation.
Er what??? I was referring to my Swatches and other plastic junk I've owned that did not hold up well when I was trying to appreciate them or pass them along. I am not saying I'm fool enough to think I could reasonably pass my Apple Watch on to my daughter in a few years, let alone to my grandchildren. But as a first gen memento, it would be nice if I could keep it around and treasure it pretty much as it was when I wore it, rather than crumbled into nasty discoloring plastic powder. Again, not saying this happens to all plastic products. Swatches were specifically referenced in this thread and my discussion was in reaction to my experience with Swatches.

Looking at the reasons others have stated for wanting a plastic watch, basically a watch NOT meant for longevity but as sort of a disposable or expendable product, yeah I can see that. It's not my thing, and the poll asked what I'd be interested in and I gave my response...which is a big no from me. For now. I might change my mind after more experience owning an actual Apple Watch.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
C model for $149 would absolutely kill with last gen parts. We may not like it here, but that's right in the price range to make kids demand it from their parents. Would guarantee that it would be on every Christmas list for 2016. Most parents won't wanna spring 349 for their teens gifts, but $149 is certainly palatable.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
C model for $149 would absolutely kill with last gen parts. We may not like it here, but that's right in the price range to make kids demand it from their parents. Would guarantee that it would be on every Christmas list for 2016. Most parents won't wanna spring 349 for their teens gifts, but $149 is certainly palatable.

149 for 38mm/199 42mm would be a ridiculous price point... They would sell like hot cakes. Kids would beg to get them.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I think there's also a big difference here on the people buying this to use predominantly as a gadget vs. a fashion accessory and what they're looking for in the case/materials. I was perfectly happy with my Pebble watch. I'm buying the Apple watch for the additional functionality, not the nicer appearance (though I certainly think it does look nicer). I'd be far more interested in the SS models if they had more advanced technology built in.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I would be more likely to get one if it were plastic and priced in the $100 to $200 range.

I would prefer traditional black plastic with no paint. And a typical plastic screen like the ones on a $10 watch would be my preference as well.

I've had my cheapie black plastic watch for 10+ years, and it still looks brand new. I wear it working on cars and under the hood in those tight engine compartments. And just about anything else in life. It gets abused all day long, and still looks like new. No perceivable damage.

If I spend $200 or more on an Apple watch, it better hold up to the abuse of life. But, I know it won't, so I'll skip it altogether.

If Apple could make something as durable as the cheapie Casio, or the other $10 watches, I'd be interested.

The Apple watch is interesting. But it's got to be built tougher to justify those high prices. The pics to date show that it's not. I can guarantee that the damage on the celeb posted pics didn't come from any kind of manual labor.

Give me cheap plastic any day. It holds up better.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
What if one of the rumored new casings is the unapologetically plastic case with cheaper price and comes in different colors. Would u buy it? I don't think its a bad idea. Matter of fact I think it's a great idea, colorful for fashion and you can mix and match colored bands...

$249 38mm and $299 42mm would be a good price point.

Would you buy it?

People will not buy a plastic Apple watch but they have no problem putting one in a plastic case with a cheap screen protector. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Techchic

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Do you really think Apple would package the Watch at $100-200? Even if it was plastic-ish like the 5C - which is a GREAT phone IMHO, why would they offer this technology at such a low price?

I don't see it happening. And personally, I would not want to see it happening.

Consider that iPhones WITHOUT signing a cellular contract are $600+. Why should the Watch, which does not require a contract :D, be priced like fitness bands. They are so much more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.